Scotland, phase 2?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OwenM 12 Jun 2020

I heard on the news that we could go onto phase 2 next week. Trying to work out exactly what we can and can't do once this happens. I've looked on the scotgov website but it's all written in gobbledegook. Has anyone managed to decipher the new restrictions.

Tringa 12 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

> I heard on the news that we could go onto phase 2 next week. Trying to work out exactly what we can and can't do once this happens. I've looked on the scotgov website but it's all written in gobbledegook. Has anyone managed to decipher the new restrictions.

The phases are mentioned in this link - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52745643

but it dates from mid/late May so could have changed.

Dave

Graeme G 12 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

The column in green in the middle highlights changes from phase 1. Still leaves loads of room for interpretation, as you would expect.

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/strate...

OP OwenM 12 Jun 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

People are permitted to travel locally for leisure purposes.

What does that mean? Is it still 5 miles or what? Doesn't tell us anything.

Graeme G 12 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

I would suggest as the 5 miles is stated in Phase 1 they’ll drop that. Although how ‘local’ is local is obviously non-specific. 
I think the trick is to not assume/hope you’ll get exact answers to these questions as they just can’t be answered.

GrantM 12 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

If the law changes there will be a new statutory instrument available here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi

In addition there will be guidelines, I would wait to see what's published at the time as these are often tweaked. The SI will show what's legally enforceable, there might also be a statement from the police on what they're actually going to look at in practise.

girlymonkey 12 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

I presume these sorts of questions will be answered when they announce the changes next week. I hope so anyway. My guess is that they are waiting to see if R has dropped low enough everywhere to allow more movement or not. If there are still high areas of R then I guess they keep 5 miles. If R is now pretty low everywhere (looking more hopeful) then I guess they may allow more distance. 

Current figures look promising, so fingers crossed!

skog 12 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

I'm pretty sure it's vague on purpose, so the details can be adjusted and announced as appropriate to the circumstances at the time. It wouldn't be a great idea to announce specifics in advance, only to change them at the time.

The main changes appear to be that you can meet with more people outdoors (perhaps changes to the only one family per day recommendation) - so for example meeting up with a few mates or other families to go for a local walk, and that you can also meet up with one other household at a time indoors - so for example have your parents, or a partner that lives in another house, round for socially-distanced dinner; indoor non-office workplaces reopening, some smaller retail reopening including outdoor spaces in pubs and restaurants (bet the weather craps out now...), and playgrounds and sports grounds reopening.

There's no change suggested from phase 1 regarding travel for outdoor activities, which I think is what you're mostly asking about. They might give different recommendations or further clarification as to what "local" means, but they might not.

Phase 3 is the exciting one for us, I think.

ScraggyGoat 12 Jun 2020
In reply to skog:

Yes deliberately vague and I suspect on purpose, particularly with regard to 'local' travel; I'd be amazed if they actually quantified it............big can of worms with public political backlash potential.

If they do quantify it, I would bet it will be minor 10-15 miles.

Post edited at 14:47
 Myr 12 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

Looks like it'll be Phase 1.5 next week rather than Phase 2. From Nicola Sturgeon's daily press briefing yesterday:

"A week today, we will have a further review of the lockdown restrictions. I am currently very hopeful that at that point we will be able to lift some further restrictions.

"We may not be able to do everything in phase two but I hope that we can do certainly at least some of that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53007785

Myr 12 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

Phase 1: "Permitted to travel short distances for outdoor leisure and exercise but advice to stay within a short distance of your local community (broadly within 5 miles) and travel by walk, wheel and cycle where possible."

Phase 2: "People are permitted to drive locally for leisure purposes."

So I think the main difference for outdoor-goers between Phase 1 and 2 pertains to the mode of transport allowed, rather than to the distance. As in, under Phase 2, you will be allowed to drive up to 5 miles to reach outdoor recreation areas, whereas under Phase 1, you are strongly encouraged to make that journey by 'walk, wheel and cycle'. I think a lot of people have been interpreting Phase 1 as you can drive anywhere within your 'local area', which has been jumping the gun somewhat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...