Scotland ML Walks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doms1 07 Jan 2019

I'm doing a trip to Scotland in the summer to do some QMDs in preparation for an ML assessment at the end of the summer. Living down south, I'm not so familiar with the Scottish walks as Snowdonia and the Lakes are my usual stomping grounds. 

I've got Aonach Eagach, CMD Arete, Fiacaill Ridge etc on the list, but what other walks would you add to the list if you were doing a trip to Scotland?

Welsh Kate 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Doms1:

I'd take my tent and do some walking. It's not all about ridges and steep ground - a few multi-dayers in the Cairngorms or Fisherfield or somewhere a bit remote will prepare you well for your assessment.

girlymonkey 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Doms1:

Go for big featureless plateau walks. Glenshee, cairngorms etc. Aim for re-entrants, ring contours etc. Have fun!

Gone for good 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Doms1:

My training ground for the ML assessment included big days in the Cairngorms. Walked in to Glen Luibeg and camped next to the river. Walked up to the Devils Point, across to Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain un. Back to tent via Lairig Ghru. Next day I went over Derry Cairngorm, Ben Macdui and Carn a Mhaim. 2 big days in magnificent country and great training for navigation, fitness and general hill craft. 

In reply to Doms1:

In the first instance you could do worse than browse our Route Cards, which include loads of classic Scottish hill days: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/find.php

It'd also be worth buying a couple of guidebooks. In your case go for best-of route collections that cover the whole country, rather than focused area guides.

And don't just fixate on Munros - there's tons of quality on smaller (but often no easier) hills too 

ScraggyGoat 08 Jan 2019

Following Dan's suggestion once you have drank your fill of Fort William classics; AE, Bidean, BME, Ring of Steal, CMD, Grey Corries,  etc, you are well placed to sample some ground less trodden just South of the Malliag road or over the Corran Ferry; Ardgour and Moidart. Fine hills.

Though if you are chasing 'tickets' you will probably also need to take two further separate trips to the Cairngorms and NW Highlands to show (the beginnings of a)  breadth of Scottish experience, and to appreciate high extensive plateau terrain, and remote big hills (for the UK; lets face it there is virtual no hill in the UK you can't do to and from the road in a day if you put your mind to it).

Post edited at 10:51
 Wally 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Doms1:

I would get off the beaten track and wander up and around some corbetts with my tent. That will be the best experience for ML assessment. Play some "find that contour feature" on the way and do a couple of hours in the dark around the tent....just pitch camp in an easy to find spot. 

I did this a number of times prior to my assessment and it helped a lot. Don't forget the whole "leadership" thing though! Wandering around on your tod is great but you should take some others with you....preferable a mix of friends and friends of friends.

OP Doms1 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thank you, all, for the useful suggestions. Dan, is there any specific guidebooks you would recommend for Scottish days, before I start trawling the shop bookshelves? I'm planning on spending a week or two spread across Cairngorms/Glencoe/Fort William areas, with a mixture of multi-day wild camp walks and single days based out of campsites. 

girlymonkey 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Doms1:

I'd say one of the skills of an ML is route planning. Why don't you grab some maps of the area and make up your own journey? It's a satisfying process and you can get truly away from the beaten track. Have confidence in your skills and have fun with it.

In reply to Doms1:

Well seeing as you asked, this one of mine is built on big days and overnights:

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/great-mountain-days-in-scotland

OP Doms1 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Perfect - just what I'm after. Thanks! Unfortunately teaching 6 days a week I simply don't have as much time as I might like to planning Scotland trips!

Tringa 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Doms1:

> I'm doing a trip to Scotland in the summer to do some QMDs in preparation for an ML assessment at the end of the summer. Living down south, I'm not so familiar with the Scottish walks as Snowdonia and the Lakes are my usual stomping grounds. 

> I've got Aonach Eagach, CMD Arete, Fiacaill Ridge etc on the list, but what other walks would you add to the list if you were doing a trip to Scotland?

Apart from planning your own routes have a look at the WalkHighlands site. It has details of walks all over Scotland and information on longer walks too.

Dave

Footloose 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Doms1:

There are some lovely circuits in the NW Highlands that will give you a base camp with all mod cons (well, a stream anyhow, and a flat pitch) and hills all around, as well as a bit of peace and quiet (but they are remote, so you need to be confident of your ability to cope):

1) From Achnashellach Station up the mountain path to Fuar Tholl, Sgorr Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mhor. Access to the gorgeous Easan Dorcha, with pines and a waterfall, as well as Lochs Coulin and Clair. (There's a lunch hut in Easan Dorca if you need a temporary shelter). Or go south towards Sgurrs Choinnich and a'Chaorachain, with more pines and a waterfall. Or come into the Beinn Liath Mhor area from Kinlochewe (there's a good bunkhouse there).

2) Poolewe/Aultbea into A' Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor. No pines or waterfalls, but some stunning lochs, hills and rocks, and a bothy.

3) Gruinard/Dundonnell's Corrie Hallie into Shenevall bothy, with the beautiful Loch na Sealga below and An Teallach above. 

4) Ullapool/Rhidorroch/Inverlael. A stunning gorge and waterfall in the middle, just a little way off route. A good campsite (expensive though) in Ullapool.

There are loads more: pick any OS map of the NW Highlands and you'll find a few gems. Come in May for the best weather and to hear the cuckoos, and see the swans and waterlilies, even in the most remote areas. Be aware that buses may be intermittent out of season. Stay safe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...