Scarfel Pike and Helvellyn central place

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 03 Jan 2022

Where would be the best place to stay to walk Scarfel Pike one day and walk Helvelyn the next day, with overnight accommodation some where in between. 
Probably not looking at striding edge as my wife is coming along.

I have done Scarfel a few times from wasdale head but don’t mind which route we  do 

Thanks 

Bulls Crack 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Langdale somewhere? Then you could have a long day up Scafell from there and not far the next day to get to Helvellyn 

In reply to andyd1970:

Ambleside. can access helvellyn from thirlmere side and so avoid the edges, and Scafell pike from great langdale. And have a good range of restaurants and pubs on your doorstep. 

Andy Hardy 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Ambleside? Get a bus down Langdale for Scafell Pike via Rossett Ghyll / Esk Hause, then get another one up to Dumail for Helvellyn via Dollywaggon Pike.

Might need some planning with the timetable!

OP andyd1970 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Yeh was looking at that, as I’ve stayed in Langdale a few times, just the 20k distance made me look at other options but looks good though and thanks.

OP andyd1970 03 Jan 2022
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Thanks, as I do like Ambleside and my wife had picked that too. 

OP andyd1970 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Never thought of the bus but will have the car with us, but the bus does give us the option of a nice drink 

In reply to andyd1970:

Yes it’s a long day to do Scafell pike from langdale, and I’ve not actually done it that way myself. Your alternative is Keswick, also plenty of choice of restaurants, and Scafell pike from seathwaite shorter day (though still not a short day)

mike123 03 Jan 2022
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: this  . Keswick to seathwaite - twenty minutes ish . Keswick -Thirlmere ( can’t removed what that parking is called ) but also 20 minutes ( maybe less ). Seems  more straightforward than am bless sid . 
edit : and half of Keswick seems to be air B and B 

Post edited at 14:17
 olddirtydoggy 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

A tent? Might sound sarcastic but why not? Might be able to link a couple of days up.

Dave the Rave 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

I’d Wasdale Head Scawfell, even though it’s probably busier. The other two routes are quite long if you’re not used to it, and , think it’s Great End, is quite tough negotiating the boulder fields( 20 years since I’ve been this way).

Drive round to Ambleside or Langdale for accommodation. Camping is two nights most places ATM. 
Then drive to Glenridding/Patterdales and either go up via Grizedale Tarn or the pass up past the YH in Glenridding. Retrace both ways or link for a longer day up high . 

Jon Stewart 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Keswick. By far the most sensible. langdale option is a very long day on scafell, and the drive round to wasdale is epic. 

Sean Kelly 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Langdale is my favourite way to gain access to the Scawfell group. There are excellent paths most of the way, but the last bit is rather rocky going underfoot. Beware the return and avoid descending into Piers Ghyll. Done this both summer and winter and should take no longer than 8 hrs. and less if you are fit. It is a real mountain day, than offers both wonderful views and settings. 

GrahamD 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

One of my favourites, too.  Certainly beats the Wasdale approach !

To the OP, if Ambleside then Scafell Pike via Wasdale.  If Keswick, Scafell Pike via Corridor route.

In reply to andyd1970:

Keswick-Threlkeld-Thirlmere/St Johns

In reply to andyd1970:

Keswick like Mike said above. Handy for both, Seathwaite and Swirls both easily accessed and public transport is available if you wish.

It is worth noting that if climbing helvellyn from Keswick area, it is quicker and less hassle to walk the edges by approaching from swirls to the summit first than driving round to Glenridding.

If you are facing a long journey to the lakes, then Penrith is another good option for a base. 

C Witter 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Keswick a good shout, but the obvious alternative is to avoid Helvellyn as it's just an awful trudge from Thirlmere. I'd personally rather stay in Eskdale or Wasdale and do Scafell via the Eskdale Gorge and maybe another Wasdale fell, eg. Yewbarrow, Red Pike and Pillar or Great Gable, or else something different from Eskdale or the Duddon, eg. Head to Dow via Seathwaite Tarn. Just my view!

Jim Lancs 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

If you've got your heart set on them both in the one trip, then only Keswick really makes any sense.

Scafell via Grains Gill and Esk Hause on the way up the Pikes and Corridor Route to Styhead on the way down to makes it a circuitous trip. The last mile along to Seathwaite is a bit of a drag, but nothing like along Mickleden in Langdale at the end of a long day.

Helvellyn from Wythburn Church in Thirlmere is the best way up Helvellyn from the west. Just set off steadily as the start is the steepest part.

Mark Eddy 03 Jan 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Hi Andy,

Ambleside, Grasmere, Keswick are all good bases for a Scafell Pike and Helvellyn combo.

As has been mentioned, walking Scafell Pike from Langdale is a really nice route, although quite long, it is only slightly more taxing than going from Borrowdale. It is usually a less busy route. It's a 15-20 minute drive to the ODG from Ambleside.

Brief route overviews here:

https://www.climb-scafell.co.uk/scafell-pike-routes.html

For Helvellyn, going from Swirls makes sense. This is a 25 minute drive from Ambleside and there's plentiful parking at the United Utilities car park and various lay-bys.

We have a B&B in central Ambleside, if looking for accommodation there, do check it out: https://www.2cambridgevillas.co.uk - we're climbers, fell runners, mountain walkers, and always happy to share route info with guests.

Hope you have a great time

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...