Scafell Pike from Eskdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 27 Aug 2020

I'm after suggestions please...

Whats a nice circular route including grade 1 or 2 scrambling that takes in Scafell Pike and starts up Eskdale?

I've done the grade 3 up Il Crag then continued via Broad Stand and Scafell before which was great but might be a bit much for the party this time. 

Does anything take a similar route via Great Moss, up some scrambly terrain to top out, then maybe down via Mickledore and straight down?  Is that doable?

Any suggestions most welcome!

Thanks.

Jon Stewart 27 Aug 2020
In reply to maybe_si:

I'm afraid I don't think there is one described in the books. You can do a bit of G1 up the side of Cam Spout on your way up from Great Moss to Mickledoor, but to include a really good scramble, the described scrambling routes are G3: what you're looking for is basically Thor's Buttress and Pen, a great way up Scafell Pike that goes up the buttress just along from Esk Buttress, and I'd recommend it if you think you can get the group up it. I did it as a kid and don't remember it being particularly hard or scary, and it's on lovely sunny rock.

The other alternative that I've not done is also G3 but might have more scope for variation (but also less sunny, so probably less clean) up Scafell from the top of Cam Spout (the scrambly ground before East Buttress). 

shantaram 27 Aug 2020
In reply to maybe_si: How about Scafell Pike via Pen just above Little Narrowcove? In my opinion it’s the best way up Scafell Pike with no path, and you can scramble a section up to the summit of Pen and make it as hard or easy as you like. You can then either descend via Mickledore back to Great Moss or continue over Scafell via Foxes Tarn which is a bit scrambly. 

tintinandpip 28 Aug 2020
In reply to shantaram:

As shantaram suggests  but from Mickledore descend on the Wasdale side and climb Scafell via Lord's rake and West Wall / Deep Gill  back to Eskdale via Slightside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...