Routebuddy digital mapping advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 31 Oct 2020

I'm currently using paper OS maps/ Satmap GPS with OS and Harveys and the OS digital online platform to plan routes and sometimes print off custom maps if it's a small route.

What I'd like is a one stop online digital platform for both OS & Harveys that allows me to download saved GPX routes plus printing. Can anyone with this sort of set up advise. I'm looking at Routebuddy but so far trying to download the trial version on Windows 10 has been problematic. If anyone here is using Routebuddy with OS and especially Harveys digital mapping I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion.
In theory it appears to be a one off payment for both software and mapping which is ideal. If anyone has a positive alternative then I'd also be interested in hearing.

Thanks
David

SouthernSteve 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed UserWhiskybob:

It works.

There are issues with the apple mice which mean that you can have big changes of magnification accidentally - very dismissive comment from the programmers when I made a request for help.

There has been no update to the program since 2013 (but is a 64 bit application). I think this may be a one time effort rather than a truly supported programme with a very small team.

The Harvey's maps (which I dislike having being brought up on OS) are fine. I got some to get used to some race maps that were using that format.

The alternatives are Ordnance Surveys own maps (no Harveys) or Anquet's offering which do offer the Superwalker maps. Anquet is less fully featured and does not have the good folder system down the side which is really neat, but is actively in production and the iPhone version (non-internet dependent if you preload) is excellent.

There may be others, but this is my experience. Hope this helps.

Removed User 31 Oct 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Thanks for the reply.
I was of the same opinion regarding the lack of updates and support. I even went on their facebook page hoping to see a vibrant community but it was sparse to say the least. It seems to tick more boxes than Anquet and Satmap don't have access to Harveys maps. 
I emailed Harveys who told me that it was on their radar to offer an OS style platform but not until 2022 earliest and honestly I'd rather one place/one price to view all maps, my mind is scattered enough!

I agree that they (Routebuddy) come across as somewhat sharp, even reading through the FAQ page.
Hopefully I'll get the opinion of a few others before deciding.

Thanks again

Post edited at 11:35
 inboard 01 Nov 2020

I used to use Routebuddy but gave up. 

does ViewRanger not do what you want? They definitely have both OS and Harvey maps. 

Removed User 01 Nov 2020
In reply to inboard:

I've looked at Viewranger but currently they have no print options plus I'd be paying best part of £100 a year subscription whereas Routebuddy is a one off payment and it also allows printing.

Can I ask what you use? I'm assuming Viewranger. Can I also ask what it was that you couldn't get on with in Routebuddy. I'm not convinced about Routebuddy from my initial dealing with even trying to download the free software so if there's anyone with a glowing opinion of RB i'd certainly be interested.

Fat Bumbly2 01 Nov 2020

I have finally beaten scalejump by using it on a new MacBook. It is now a very useful bit of kit. The constant relocation to Antarctica was infuriating. Worse was the attitude of support.

Do not use Routebuddy with an Apple mouse. It is a nightmare.

Post edited at 15:05
 SouthernSteve 01 Nov 2020
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

I am pleased it wasn't just me thinking the support was a bit harsh – as I had described it on this forum. I get round it with the trackpad too. It could be so good with a bit of love. I fear 'beyond Big Sur' will be the death nell, but that will be 18 months or so. 

I have an old Anquet set-up (they went VERY wobbly on the Mac for sometime which led me away), but the current subscription model is cheap and runs very well on the PC & phone and OK on the Mac. I hope to just carry on with that in the longer term.

Post edited at 17:56
SoberSam 29 Nov 2020

You're right about Big Sur. Routebuddy stopped working after I upgraded. The response from Support was that there will be no testing with Big Sur for at least 1 month following public release. Further once 11.1 has been released  a decision will be taken as to whether to install or not. I read this to mean that support has been withdrawn. It also means, sadly, that I have lost all my stored tracks.

SouthernSteve 29 Nov 2020
In reply to SoberSam:

Thanks for the heads up. 

I am sorry to hear that. The sad thing is that the upgrade to Big Sur is so pushed now, constant red button and nagging notifications in system preferences that many will upgrade without a huge amount of thought and lose a few application they like and need in the process.

The Anquet offering (having being written well for iOS) looks more appealing with the new chip set, but that's for the future (possibly)

edited for punctuation

Post edited at 12:35
 Baz P 06 Dec 2020

I use Memory Map but it doesn’t have Harvey’s. It’s great for creating and moving gpx files around. I also use ViewRanger, mostly when abroad. 
I can print out with MM but I’m not too worried about scale when using my digital routes so when faced with a “non print” program I just take a screenshot and print that. 

Removed User 01 Jan 2021

I could not be tempted away from OS 25k.  I spoilt myself a couple of years ago and bought GB coverage when Routebuddy had a special offer.  I agree the interface is clunky (and that an apple trackpad is part of the answer) but it does the business for me.  Not compatible with Big Sur however.  Trying to sync RB Atlas with iPhone crashes RB.  An update was "in the pipiline" in May but don't hold your breath!

In reply to Baz P:

Another vote for MM. You can buy the 1:25k OS of the UK for about £120. Can be loaded onto three devices and routes/track onto/off GPS. No problems with printing in last ten years.

Fat Bumbly2 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed UserDavid Coleman:

No Big Sur update for me. Too many maps bought and I use it a lot. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...