Route planning software for PC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jungle_153 20 Aug 2019

Hi folks,

My trusty copy of Memory Map has let me down. Had it for years and kept on top of updates. However I've just completed a new build. Reinstalled Memory Map however I can no longer activate my legacy license. Even tried installing the old version and trying to update. All with no joy. The cynic in me suspects this is a ploy to make me sign up to a subscription system or fork out the nigh on £100 for a new license.

So wit all that in mind what would people recommend as a replacement. I don't mind ViewRanger on the phone/pad but cannot get on with route planning. The scene is too small and it's all too fiddly, also not available on PC.

Cheers

Gareth

In reply to Jungle_153:

How about the OS themselves? Still a bit clunky, but not that expensive, and can be subscribed by the month;

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-online.html

Takein 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

Even though you say you can't get on with Viewranger I think it's the best bet. Are you using the MyViewRanger online tool (works in a browser so is definitely PC friendly)? I think it's great.

https://my.viewranger.com/

I also use Garmin BaseCamp which is free and has similar functionality (and obvs works well with Garmin devices) although not as good as ViewRanger. Or perhaps try the Strava Route Builder tool. 

Simon Caldwell 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

I just plot routes on https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/ (OS 1:25K available for register users - it's free to register) then export the GPX.

petemeads 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

Have a look at Komoot perhaps - using Open Source mapping it works like a satnav for hikers and bikers.

Not expensive, can try for free then add new areas for a price, whole world cost £30 I think.

WaterMonkey 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

You can phone up their support line and they explain how to get the maps working again.

However, my memory map app doesn't seem to be very good lately. I tracked a walk the other day and it just showed straight lines.

So I too am on the lookout for a new map app.

Martin W 21 Aug 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> How about the OS themselves? Still a bit clunky, but not that expensive, and can be subscribed by the month;

And you can print out 1:25K and/or 1:50K maps of your route to take with you.

The "leisure maps" don't work on my phone, though, which is tedious.  The app allows me to log in but as soon as I try to look at the 1:25K or 1:50K mapping it hangs, even with maps downloaded on to the phone.  I had a longish to-and-fro about the problem with the OS and they ended up telling me that my phone was too old to run the app - which was b*ll*cks because it ran perfectly fine on another, older phone running an earlier version of Android.  I'd have been less annoyed if they'd simply said they couldn't/couldn't be bothered to fix it.

In reply to Martin W:

The printing does insist on putting a huge, pointless margin on the page, though... Unless you know a way of stopping it? I've used it in its incarnation as the eDofE mapping, and have provided feedback, but they don't seem to have take it onboard.

Kean 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

> So wit all that in mind what would people recommend as a replacement. I don't mind ViewRanger on the phone/pad but cannot get on with route planning. The scene is too small and it's all too fiddly, also not available on PC.

(I'm not UK based). Viewranger is available on PC, and it lets you create routes from scratch. That said, I prefer to plan routes on the platform "GPS Visualiser" (sandbox) and then just download the .gpx and stick it on Viewranger on my phone. All free.

Bellie 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

I'm just looking at Memory Map at the moment as I might invest in a GB landranger set.  I cant see anywhere that they do subscriptions and the Licence is lifetime, so I'd download the new version of the software free and get on the phone to them.

Other than that - the Memory map files work ok with the Alpine Quest map app. (thats what I'd be getting the map files for)

Bellie 22 Aug 2019

Can you print to PDF?  then alter the print settings to enlarge the print by say 5% and reposition the image so the map reaches the edge more?

I'm sure you've tried but it would be nice to know - as I also have an SRA3 printer and the OS software could be a contender if that would work!

In reply to Bellie:

> then alter the print settings to enlarge the print by say 5% and reposition the image so the map reaches the edge more?

You could, but I like to try to keep printouts at 100% so I can use a conventional measurement tool (romer, ruler) to measure distances.

The useless margins are about 2cm; 1cm white border, 1cm faded map with grid reference annotation margin. They ought to be print options.

freeflyer 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

If I just need a map and am confident with locating myself, I load up Bing maps, select the Ordnance Survey option, then screen shot the area required, and email myself the resulting jpg, which is then available on the phone. No doubt somewhat dodgy on the copyright front, but works for me for straightforward Sunday hikes etc, and I delete the jpgs as they are of little use afterwards.

ff

EdS 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

Quo mapping is pretty good

BStar 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

Have you tried logging onto the website and migrating your license? When you rebuild a PC it will have a new device name in the memory map license management, if you have exceeded the number of devices it will not allow you to access those maps.  All you have to do is log on, find your old PC name, and migrate the license to your new PC. Hope this helps.

I take a snip of the section of map I need, the  copy and paste this onto a word doc set up with no margins.

Means I can fit 2 or 3 sections onto each a4 page which is really handy

In reply to get to the punchline:

Oh, I used to paste tiles together from Streetmap... It's just a shame that the national mapping agency can't do a better job of printing mas from their app...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...