Re-wilding Scotland to begin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wbo 21 Mar 2019

Interesting to see that Scotland's largest landowners, Anders and Anne Povlsen plant to rewild their land in Scotland.  How does this fit in with the aims of the commission to investigate landownership ?

subtle 21 Mar 2019
In reply to wbo:

> Interesting to see that Scotland's largest landowners, Anders and Anne Povlsen plant to rewild their land in Scotland.  How does this fit in with the aims of the commission to investigate landownership ?

Is Paul Lister still planning on introducing wolves etc.?

Doug 21 Mar 2019
In reply to wbo:

Rewilding has been underway in Scotland for decades, from well before the term came into use - look at eg Creag Meagaidh, Abernethy, Inshriach...

Removed User 21 Mar 2019
In reply to wbo:

Get the wolves in - then we'll talk.

Tom Valentine 21 Mar 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Better keep those down jackets off the floor

Mark Stevenson 21 Mar 2019
In reply to wbo:

I'm naturally sceptical, but one argument I can never really fathom is this logic that dealing with perhaps 100 landowners is so utterly impossible and complicated that the only possible solution worth considering is trying to switch to having 50,000 disparate individual landowners.

It strikes me l that in terms of implementing Government policy at a national or local level, the fewer the stakeholders, the easier it should be, not the other way around.

However, I might be making the naive assumption that some policies (as opposed to greivances) might actually exist.

In reply to Mark Stevenson:

> I'm naturally sceptical, but one argument I can never really fathom is this logic that dealing with perhaps 100 landowners is so utterly impossible and complicated that the only possible solution worth considering is trying to switch to having 50,000 disparate individual landowners.

Today's Guardian touches on that, with Povlsens' chap making a similar point:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/21/danish-billionaires-anders-...

Removed User 21 Mar 2019
In reply to wbo:

I'm confused.

They've been planting trees and culling deer since 2006.

Good stuff as far as I'm concerned.

d_b 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Get the wolves in - then we'll talk.

I demand bears! Go big or go home!

daWalt 22 Mar 2019
In reply to d_b:

go bare or go home!

Post edited at 08:55
 Martin W 22 Mar 2019
In reply to d_b:

> I demand bears! Go big or go home!

Bears?  Pshaw.  Mastodons or just don't bother.

In reply to Martin W:

> Bears?  Pshaw.  Mastodons or just don't bother.

....and a  reintroduction scheme putting 1 Nessie in every Loch. 

Coel Hellier 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> ....and a  reintroduction scheme putting 1 Nessie in every Loch. 

Wouldn't you need a breeding pair? 

daWalt 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

I'm usually very skeptical too, but if what's promised is even half delivered it's still an improvement in my view.

the ownership question seems to be more relevant to society and economic activity in general. e.g. making land available for development or investment. (we're not talking about redeveloping wilderness here)

going back to being my cynical self for a moment, policy is not law. the influence of land management subsidies, which are policy, are always the elephant in the room. it might be the case that many smaller landowners would be more influenced by development potential rather than keeping the dynasty ticking over with subsidy cash or the extremely wealthy who can do whatever they please.

d_b 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Coel Hellier:

You would think so but a nessie infestation is no laughing matter without predators to keep the numbers down.

subtle 22 Mar 2019
In reply to d_b:

> You would think so but a nessie infestation is no laughing matter without predators to keep the numbers down.

You forgot the main nessie predator is still man, plenty of them still about

dh73 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin W:

until there a blue faced picts raiding across Hadrian's Wall, Scotland is not wild in my view

d_b 22 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Not a very effective one.  Nessie hunters never, ever find the monster.

fred99 22 Mar 2019
In reply to dh73:

> until there a blue faced picts raiding across Hadrian's Wall, Scotland is not wild in my view

I dunno, after yesterdays result against Kazakhstan there's a lot of pretty wild Scots this morning.

Joak 22 Mar 2019
In reply to fred99:

> I dunno, after yesterdays result against Kazakhstan there's a lot of pretty wild Scots this morning.

>

Not half as wild as Theresa May. She is absolutely livid and envious at Scotland's ability to exit from Europe in only 90 minutes. It's taken her three years to get absolutely nowhere.     

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...