Re-polarise that compass!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevesmith 26 Sep 2022

I've recently had two compasses switch polarity, probably because I'm not keeping them away from my phone. Lacking the skill for a DIY approach, I sent them off to Silva who've re-polarised them for free: address below:

I am sorry to hear your compass has depolarised. This has happened due to it being near a magnetic/electrical field or ferrous metal that has polarised the needle. Unfortunately this is getting more and more common in the world we live in today as we carry a lot of items that emit such fields as mobile phones, GPS’s, car keys, car speakers etc.

Our compass repolarisation service is offered for free. Please post your compass along with details of your name, address and telephone number to the following address:

Susy Kerr, Sales Co-Ordinator

Silva Ltd

8 Easter Inch Court, Easter Inch Industrial Estate

Bathgate, EH48 2FJ

ExiledScot 26 Sep 2022
In reply to stevesmith:

Silva are very good with a 5 year warranty on compasses. They had a bad batch with glue problems causing a very minute leak or growing air bubble. No quibble replacements for all. 

Toerag 27 Sep 2022
In reply to stevesmith:

I wonder how they do it - do they dismantle them and put the needle in their polarising machine? Or do they have some way of doing it in-situ?

annieman 27 Sep 2022
In reply to stevesmith:

This video, from an Outdoor Activity Provider, repolarises the compas needle in seconds with an external strong magnet

youtube.com/watch?v=TuRFeXYTaTw&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...