Radnor Forest (again)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Podd 21 Aug 2021

Following on from previous threads on this (now archived); As part of my attempt to walk all the 2000ft hills in Wales I parked up in New Radnor and set off for Harley Dingle and on to Great Rhos in sub optimal conditions. I followed the OS marked path and got to the entry to the exclusion zone. Bollox to this I thought and carried on through it to the trackless moor. No problems and no unexploded ordinance seen. As it was claggy, I had to follow my compass to the top - tricky trig to find. So on round through the felled forest to Black Mixen, a top spoiled by the mast and associated buildings. So on towards Great Creigiau. At the obvious gate from the path again I entered the forbidden zone. Only a dedicated bagger would take this on as it is a trackless waste of heather and tussocks to get to what may be the top. I could find no sign of the highest point, but wandered around for a bit to make sure I had crossed it.

From there to Bache Hill was easy, once I had regained the path - met the first other people seen all day in the rain. So back down to New Radnor and off for greasy food.

Such a shame that we can be denied access to lovely country and rarely visited tops.

Fat Bumbly2 21 Aug 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

Never had any problems up there. It was always Harley Dingle that was the danger area. 

I see Bache Hill has crept over the 2000’ mark after all. Used to think it was just the tumulus.

Ramblin dave 21 Aug 2021
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

I think it's now Harley Dingle and some of the bits of moorland immediately surrounding it, although that seems to be in a spirit of "we can't guarantee that stuff won't have been blown out of the Dingle onto the surrounding area" rather than "we're going to plaster the whole moor with shells".

In any case, yeah - it'd be nice to have access to the whole area, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. We were out there last summer and had a good time - there are enough ways onto the moors from the South, and even with the extended "danger area", the only "summit" that's lost is the hummock above Great Creigiau with its whole 12m of prominence....

Post edited at 20:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...