QMD's - your first '20'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BBM66 16 Aug 2018

HI everyone, 

New to the forums, so apologies if this has been answered/discussed but looking for some inspiration/information about the sorts of routes people did for their first few QMD's for the summer ML. 

Not looking to copy or steal just want some ideas that I can inspire my own QMD's that I have planned coming up!

Thanks in advance

lone 17 Aug 2018
In reply to BBM66:

Hi

As for some of my QMD's I spent a fair bit of time up in North Wales finishing off the 2000ft peaks, linking a few at a time together to form a route whether it be linear or circular, also keeping off the paths for a lot of the time and thinking outside the box as how to go from one peak to the next bouncing off of catching features along the way. 

There's some really good walking in the Moelwyns, Rhinogs (areas 1-2 miles radius around the Roman Steps and the Northern Rhinogs tops, really good) and also Carneddau, not the high peaks as such in the Carneddau, but hills like Bera Bach, Bera Fawr, Lwyntmor if you approach from Aber Falls, lots of good features in very quiet surroundings lovely Cwms etc. 

You could scan the map for pinches in contours, reentrants or perhaps small spurs along the way. The one thing, if you do it this way a 10 mile walk could take 7 hours plus, given the amount of time you'll be spending looking at the terrain and the map, so plan routes with this in mind. 

Cwm Llafar is superb Cwm in the Carneddau with a nice grade 1 scramble (Llech Ddu Spur), this does take you up to Carnedd Dafydd however, not that thats an issue mind, I have a tendency to try and keep to quieter hills. 

I like the Glyders and the Snowdon. You don't have to summit necessarily or follow the paths along the tops. You can get off the grid a quite a bit on these hills and make up really good routes of your own and pretty much see very little in the way of people for hours. Yr Aran in the Snowdon Range is a lovely hill, a good ascent is found from the Col (SH 6054 5215) between Snowdon and Yr Aran. 

A route I did from Nantmor (South of Beddgelert) up onto Moel Hebog, then over to Moel yr Ogof  & Moel Lefn, then down to Rhyd-Ddu and up to the Col between Snowdon & Yr Aran, up onto Yr Aran and down to the Cafe at SH 6264 5051, a big day out indeed but great route, exciting on Yr Aran for sure. This could be shortened by leaving a car at Rhyd-Ddu. The route finding around Moel Lefn is good if you go off grid a bit.

Drop me an e-mail if you want to have any further discussions, more than happy to share some routes and idea's with you

Jason

[edit - spelling]

Post edited at 09:45
 Welsh Kate 17 Aug 2018
In reply to BBM66:

My first 10 ML log book entries:

Cadair Idris via Foxes Path and Pony Path Scafell from Boot, return via Slightside Moelwyns from Tanygrisiau, circuit including Cnicht from Croesor Nantlle Ridge Mynydd Du from Craig y Nos (BBNP) Carrauntoohil circuit via Brother o'Shea's gully and Heavenly Gates Llandedr Horseshoe (BBNP) Elan Valley 2 dayer from Graig Goch reservoir (1 wild camp) Coomasaharn circuit, Glenbeigh, Kerry Na Grugaichean & Stob Ban from Kinlochleven The BBNP walks were solo, all the rest were in the company of friends. Some may not be classed as QMDs (BBNP was when I did my ML), but the point is it's varied experience across the UK. That variation stood me in very good stead in both the training and the assessment!

Later QMDs include more ventures into 'wild and remote places', but have to say mid Wales has provided some of my best wild and remote experiences!

Post edited at 11:17
 steveq 21 Aug 2018
In reply to BBM66:

Cicerone do several "Great mountain days in ..." (Scotland, Snowdonia, Lake District, etc.) books which are an excellent source of inspiration for QMDs.

If you haven't already done so I recommend joining the ML facebook groups, you'll find lots of people willing to share ideas.

Wulfrunian 21 Aug 2018
In reply to BBM66:

It might be worth tackling a few of the 'standard rounds', particularly if they are new to you. Eg. South Carneddau circuit up via Pen yr Ole Wen and down via Pen yr Helgi Du, Cnicht and the Moelwyns from Croesor, Cadair Idris via the Minffordd path etc. (Other mountain areas are available) Weather permitting, while you're trundling around look at the lay of the land with a sense of wonder and excitement. Think  about what may lie over that ridge to the left or in that deep valley to your right. Then go home, pore over the map and plan your next route incorporating said ridges and valleys.

Don't sweat your pre-training QMDs, just get out to different areas in different weathers and explore. A decent training course will provide feedback on your log book, allowing you to make improvements if necessary for the next batch of QMDs. And don't see 40 as a target, see it as an absolute minimum.

And for gawd's sake, if you do join one of the ML Facebook groups, under no circumstances ask what constitutes a QMD!

profitofdoom 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Wulfrunian:

> And for gawd's sake, if you do join one of the ML Facebook groups, under no circumstances ask what constitutes a QMD!

Wot's a QMD?! Quick Mountain Day? Quality Mountain Day? Quirky Mountain Day?

Wulfrunian 21 Aug 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

Quiet my dear!

profitofdoom 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Wulfrunian:

> Quiet my dear!

Quickly Mentioned Dude

Wulfrunian 21 Aug 2018

Quality mocking doomster

profitofdoom 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Wulfrunian:

> Quality mocking doomster

Quite Meritorious, Duke*

(*was tempted to write 'Dozy', 'Dopy', 'Dinkums', or 'Duckie' for the 'D' but decided not to ha-ha-ha-ha)

Wulfrunian 21 Aug 2018

Meh, you'd have been fine with either of the first two.

profitofdoom 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Wulfrunian:

> Meh, you'd have been fine with either of the first two.

Quickly Mollified, Dazzler

Mark Haward 07 Sep 2018
In reply to BBM66:

Hard to answer as we don't know what you have done before or where you live. Some general principles that may help:

- Go to an area and do several different routes whilst there so you get to know the mountains. Eg: North Wales; do something on the Snowdon massif, Carneddau, Glyderau, Moelwyns, Rhinogs, Arans, Cadair areas.

- Apply to different areas including the Lake District, Ben Nevis area, Glencoe, Cairngorms and the many other mountain areas in Scotland. Aim for a variety of locations and different weather conditions ( not usually a problem ), in particular areas you are not familiar with.

- If possible try to walk with different partners / groups. This could include fellow ML aspirants, relative novices, people of equal experience and more experienced people. Try solo ( if you are comfortable with that ), in pairs, smaller and larger groups.

- Remember you can also practice / hone skills such as navigation when not in the mountains. Obviously this depends on where you live. South Downs, North Downs, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Brecon Beacons, Peak District etc.

- Get as many QMDs as you can, well beyond the minimum requirement.

Have fun

In reply to BBM66:

It'd be worth checking out the UKH Route Cards: most of them are mountain days, and they're all quality: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/find.php

Deviant 14 Sep 2018
In reply to BBM66:

As the thread appears to be going off subject, here's  my small contribution :

QMD : Quintessential Masturbatory Device.

Deviant 14 Sep 2018
In reply to BBM66:

Seriously, good luck luck with your ML.

I can't help but wondering though, that  with  the apparent, ever growing popularity of the scheme, if there will be be enough punters left  to make full use of it ? 

BBM66 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Mark Haward:

Thanks very much for the advice!

Robert Durran 20 Sep 2018

> Wot's a QMD?!

It really is a hideous abbreviation thing isn't it?

Surely one just looks at a map and decides what might be a good day out.........I assume ML candidiates can still sort of read a map.

timjones 20 Sep 2018
In reply to BBM66:

Tricky question, I'd imagine that if you have got to the point of applying for an ML then you have probably already completed a number of "QMDs".

Where were they and what areas can you get to?

I have to confess to not signing up to the ML with all it's bizarre acronyms but I do love a good QMD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...