Printing from OS maps website not rubbish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Today I printed part of a 1:25,000 map using the OS online maps service (I have a subscription). The margins weren’t stupidly big, the scale of the printed map was exactly correct, and it printed the same area as I asked it to.

Plenty of people including me have commented on how poor this has been in the past so I thought I’d mention it. I’m still weighing up whether to move to Anquet though. 

In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

It's only taken them six years to fix thee margins issue, then? That's good...

HomerTheFat 03 Jun 2022

Phew!

Martin W 08 Jun 2022

It's certainly a vastly better and easier to understand UI for generating the PDF than previously.  You may still need to be careful how you print the resulting file though: on my iMac the print dialogue defaults to 97% scaling, which gives you grid squares 37mm wide for 1:25,000 maps, even though the PDF is A4 sized.  So long as you remember to set the scaling to 100%, though, the grid squares are bang on 40mm.  But that's a Mac thing not the fault of the OS maps web app.

At the risk of a thread hijack...when plotting a route as follows:

Drop pin/waymark 1 at start;

Drop pin/waymark 2 at first objective;

Drop pin/waymark 3 at second objective; etc.

When I drop pin 2, pin 3 etc. I cannot see a bearing from the previous pin position. The waymarks give me the distance, long., lat. and the grid ref of the pin but no sign of a bearing. Is there something I am missing? When I print the route i get a route card with the same information and the elevation change between legs but again, no bearings.  When i export the GPX file it autoloads it into my memory map.

All I want is to see the bearing between points. I am trying to determine the profile of the ground over a large area to see what will be in shadow as the sun rises from the horizon.

I use photopills in general on the phone but i try to augment that with OS maps at home on the laptop for the bigger screen but this lack of a bearing is driving me nuts. I am wondering is it because they don't expect people with electronic nav devices to bother following bearings now, just the arrow on the screen.

If anyone can help, i'd be grateful.

Ta.

Glyno 10 Jun 2022

> Today I printed part of a 1:25,000 map using the OS online maps service (I have a subscription). The margins weren’t stupidly big, the scale of the printed map was exactly correct, and it printed the same area as I asked it to.

> Plenty of people including me have commented on how poor this has been in the past so I thought I’d mention it. I’m still weighing up whether to move to Anquet though. 

I agree 100%. OS Maps has improved significantly 

Harry Jarvis 10 Jun 2022
In reply to Professor Bunsen:

> At the risk of a thread hijack...when plotting a route as follows:

> Drop pin/waymark 1 at start;

> Drop pin/waymark 2 at first objective;

> Drop pin/waymark 3 at second objective; etc.

> When I drop pin 2, pin 3 etc. I cannot see a bearing from the previous pin position. The waymarks give me the distance, long., lat. and the grid ref of the pin but no sign of a bearing. Is there something I am missing? When I print the route i get a route card with the same information and the elevation change between legs but again, no bearings.  When i export the GPX file it autoloads it into my memory map.

If I'm reading this right, try generating a Route Card in MemoryMap. This should give bearings of each leg of the route. 

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Yes, I can do that, it is just frustrating that the OS route planner justgives you the coordinates of the waypoints but not the bearing from the first to the next etc.

In reply to Professor Bunsen:

It's a pretty basic requirement, isn't it...?

I had it on a little mapping tool I wrote on a Psion 3a way back in the mid 90's...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...