Petit piton St lucia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chmusar 26 Jan 2023

Anyone done the Petit Piton in St Lucia and can offer any insight and advice , looking to go up in Feb .

Cheers

andyflem 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Chmusar:

I’ve done it at least three times. It’s been a few years now! No drama, I recall the odd fixed rope as a hand line where it may have been a little awkward getting up without. I think it would probably be quite exposed in parts without the trees. Absolutely worthwhile with great views all round at the top. Never used a guide, taken up locals with no hill experience as such and even a couple of shoeless urchins who tagged along one time. So nothing technical beyond a mildly adventurous hill walk. That could have changed though thanks to storms and land slips 

OP Chmusar 26 Jan 2023
In reply to andyflem:

did you have a guide as some websites say it is mandatory to have a official guide

andyflem 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Chmusar:

No never. I’m not sure that St Lucia is organised enough for a guide to be mandatory in any meaningful or enforceable way. It’s likely to be an employment measure to benefit locals which is something I wouldn’t begrudge them within financial reason. It’s probably 30 years since I last went up there.  You might upset the locals if you didn't cut them in and that’s never a great idea.

What I can say is that it wasn’t difficult in any way, back then, and it’s well worth the effort. It’s an iconic spot as far as St Lucia goes and very satisfying to ascend. We had no idea really of what it involved the first time but spied a likely route up the east side with binoculars and then came back and gave it a go. We just knew that people did go up there. Not many I don’t think back then. 

There was a discernible track which I can only imagine is more defined now, landslips not withstanding

I have been to the highest point, Mount Gimie, as well. Not so spectacular 

Sam W 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Chmusar:

Did it 20 years ago without a guide. Technically straightforward, as described above.  Only thing I have to add is that we got a bit of hassle near the bottom of the descent from someone who said they were a guide and wanted a payment for upkeep of the path/fixed rope.  It didn't seem official and we didn't pay, they got slightly angry but gave up after a few minutes.

Post edited at 21:19
 Roberttaylor 13 Feb 2023
In reply to Chmusar:

I can't speak for the Petit Piton hike, but I found myself in St Lucia last winter, working on a cruise ship. My job for the day was to accompany a busload of our guests on the Gros Piton hike.

I think one in every ten made it to the top. It's a rough, steep track where a slip or trip could have real consequences. Most of them made it to half way.

The 'guiding' thing is a way of creating employment for locals, just give them their few dollars (there is always the upkeep of the trail, handrails etc.) and try to keep up! 

I came across one kid, probably 16 or so, who was in a very bad way from heatstroke/dehydration. Fortunately he was a scrawny specimen and we managed to manhandle him back to shade and water. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen and wear a sturdy pair of shoes; approach style shoes or trail runners would be ideal. 

If you do it, spare a thought for my colleagues and I, shepherding unsteady 70yo American retirees up and down. We were very late getting back, almost resulting in the ship missing her scheduled departure. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...