Personal Locator Beacons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bojo 18 Nov 2021

Does anyone have a PLB? I understand there are two types - one is solely for emergency location and alerting rescue services as opposed to the type that allows two way communication. I understand that for the latter you have to pay a subscription. I'm just mulling whether either are worth the outlay of circa £300.

If anyone has one I'd be interested in recommendations.

Thanks

Ceiriog Chris 18 Nov 2021
In reply to Bojo:

I've got one I bought for se kayaking, hopefully I'll never have to use it though, a Rescue Me, same again cost £300, 

ScraggyGoat 18 Nov 2021
In reply to Bojo:

Swings and round abouts:

PLB (GPS enabled) transmits a satellite distress signal 406MHz and a differing frequency homing signal/distress signal (which is the beacon part that can be homed in on by Rescue helicopters and lifeboats (and also picked up and reported by commercial airliners).  Long life battery always ready, will have to do a gps fix from ‘cold’ so the initial location can be inaccurate but is refined through time (the coastguard needs to update MRT as it’s improved ; another story).  Can’t communicate the nature of distress.  Modern ones are very hard to set off accidentally.  Once a helicopter gets into the area it will be picking up the homing signal and know for certain an activated unit is in the vicinity. Modern units now give confirmation that the distress signal has been picked up. One off cost. If you end up rapidly unconscious it’s if no use.

SENDs Satellite emergency notification devices such as SPOT are NOT strictly PLBs as they lack the beacon homing element. Many act as trackers so the gps fix will be more accurate at initial activation of emergency signal as gps already running. Allows two way coms of varying complexity which means for some units you can communicate the nature of distress which can be very useful. Since battery is used all the time need to be mindful of power levels and charging. When helicopter gets into area it just has the grid ref and no secondary confirmation of distress and beacon homing element. High up front and continuing costs.

If no one is tracking you at home, you have no potential underlying health issues (diabetes, epilepsy, heart condition) and you just want to call  help a PLB is the cheapest option.  If you play on the sea a PLB is also a good bet.

if you want people at home to know where you are and are ok, or if you have a pre existing medical condition that increases the chance of rapid incapacity then a tracking SEND though long term might be more expensive, would be the more suitable option. For example I can think of one incident where two teams were trying to get to a hypoglycaemic / hypothermic diabetic whom made a mobile voice call for help, but was no longer ‘with it’ and was wandering around, it didn’t have a good outcome. In that situation if he’s had a tracking SEND things may have turned out differently.

Neither is fail safe, I’ve known Sends fail to pass critical messages for over an hour and I’ve known PLB first fixes to be Km’s wrong and the Coastguard has failed on rare occasions to act on both (you’ll find enquiries online).

If you are in a party and suffer a life critical emergency (life, limb, sight (and risk of losing thumbs - consider as a limb)) set off PLB/SEND (assuming you have no mobile signal at accident site) to get the ball rolling and send someone up the hill or down the valley to get voice coms established via mobile. Obviously if the Send has a two way function and you receive acknowledgement; no need.

Since I play on the sea I have a true PLB. But when I get old and frail if still walking the hills alone I’ll get a SEND, so that at least my body isn’t green by the time I’m found……should I have just keeled over with my boots on.

Post edited at 11:38
 deepsoup 18 Nov 2021
In reply to Bojo:

I have the same one as Ceiriog Chris - also known as an 'Ocean Signal PLB1', also bought for sea kayaking.  It's very small and robust.  (Small enough that it doesn't float, which is sometimes a selling point for its rivals - doesn't matter to me because it's tethered in a buoyancy aid pocket on the water, and obviously doesn't matter on land.)

It cost £200 when I bought mine, they seem to be going for £260 now.

I don't walk in remote places often enough that I'd buy one for that, but have put it in my rucksack once or twice to take it with me for a walk.  (Given that I've already got the thing, seems like it would be daft not to.)

Post edited at 11:18
 rogerwebb 18 Nov 2021
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

One further issue. With a plb, and for the distress message on a tracker, you need to be conscious and able to reach it to operate it.

The tracker function at least gives people a clue however incapacitated you are. 

99ster 18 Nov 2021
In reply to Bojo:

If you decide that a PLB isn't for you, then a Garmin inReach is the thing to look at:

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/c/outdoor-recreation/satellite-communicators/

DaveHK 18 Nov 2021
In reply to rogerwebb:

> The tracker function at least gives people a clue however incapacitated you are. 

Seem to remember you telling me that could be a problem for climbers as the time you were on a route would basically look like not moving?

rogerwebb 18 Nov 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> Seem to remember you telling me that could be a problem for climbers as the time you were on a route would basically look like not moving?

Yes you do need an educated spotter. And give them a realistic time estimate for the route. If you don't appear to have moved for 6 hours on Cha No there might be an issue whereas on Shelterstone best wait a bit.

OP Bojo 18 Nov 2021
In reply to All:

Thamks to all for replies and info Might look further at the Garmin ones.

supersteve 19 Nov 2021
In reply to Bojo:

Personally I carry a PLB. Bought it for kayak fishing at sea, but now it's in my pack for walking, climbing and skiing. 6 year battery life so I don't have to do anything with it until that needs replacing (although there is a test function, which I've tried), and it's nice to know where ever I am I can get a distress signal out if required. Importantly, not just for me, but also if I found another injured person or similar. 

markk 19 Nov 2021
In reply to Bojo:

Does anyone know anything about BiviSticks?

https://www.bivystick.com/bivy-stick-satellite-communicator/

I've no direct experience of them (used SPOT for 15+ yrs, more recently SPOTX), but I have seen a couple of reviews that suggest they may be a good alternative to inReach or SPOT.

JohnnyMac 19 Nov 2021
In reply to Bojo:

I have a Garmin inreach as often in the hills alone, I debated whether to get the mini or the Explorer and opted for the Explorer on the basis of combining GPS in a single unit.

With hindsight a mistake, while the text functionality is better, I only ever use the preset messages and the Explorer screen/map is very limited/pretty much useless - I should have bought a mini and saved some weight.

Post edited at 09:36
 Spready 19 Nov 2021
In reply to Bojo:

I have been looking at options for the last few months.. 
I have heard that the Zoleo is coming to the UK early next year and that looks to be a pretty good piece of kit for the price and functions.. 
https://www.zoleo.com/en/satellite-communicator/

I currently have a Garmin GPSmap 66S and one of the options is an upgrade to the 66i as it has the tracking and SOS function built in.. (Only one piece of kit to charge!)

After a recent slip and fall descending down next to Piers Ghyll and with no cellphone signal... having something like this is now high on my agenda!

OP Bojo 01 Dec 2021

I'm coming round to the Garmin InReach Mini. Seems to "tick all my boxes".

The only thing I'm a little confused about at the moment is the mention on the Garmin site of "compatible devices". I presume this relatesto the Earthmate App. The only "compatible devices" listed are all Garmin gps devices and watches. Obviously I don't want to be tied to a Garmin device.

Does anyone know if the Earthmate app can be downloaded and used on ANY smartphone?

Thanks

alibrightman 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

I don't know about "ANY" smartphone, but the Earthmate app works fine on an iPhone.  I'd be very surprised if it doesn't work on 95% of all Android phones too.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?partNumber=010-EARTH-APP&tab=software

Cheers

Al

Bill Thomson 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

Depends on user requirements, as ever. If you just want the security of knowing you can get help in a dire emergency, then one of the PLB systems would suit e.g ACR ResQLink+. So, no subscription and longish battery life (maybe 6-7years). This system also floats and has a strobe light . I go solo cross country skiing trips and recently bought the Garmin Inreach mini. Was a bit wary of lower signal strength (about 0.5W compared to 5W of ACR) giving some reports of problems in less open areas e.g. forest. Also, expense of subscription. But I tried it out a month ago on a walking trip in N Norway. Used the personal recreation monthly subscription plan (£35) giving 40 texts. Didnt use/want it for tracking (battery charging an issue) but messaging home to get up to date weather for next day, which also sends location. It offers weather reports as well , but I gather this does not have wind speeds, one of the main safety aspects for me. Having been hit by a very sudden big storm a couple of years ago forcing an overnight emergency  snow hole, the up to date weather forecast was a big benefit. I didn’t bother with the preset messages. But it does have an emergency button as well. I gather the responders will try and contact you to determine  injury or whatever is wrong. 
It worked really well. Messages to home gave reassurance, and by return I got accurate weather from home for next day, using the Norwegian mountain weather site for my location. Only aspect was time to send and receive a message, generally around 5-10minutes. Ok, except I had to do this outside, as even in a simple shelter hut the signal wasn’t strong enough. But I could have put the system in a sealed container outside I guess, and stayed inside with my phone. It even helped me on the walk. Long term forecast for the week was benign. On day4 I got a forecast for heavy snow next day, which seemed odd. But in practise , was correct! 
so, it isn’t cheap, with a yearly subscription, and a monthly charge when you want it activated. But I’m pleased to have it for future trips. 
Bill

Bill Thomson 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

Quick follow up. The compatible devices I think refers to the fact that messages are sent through a Bluetooth linked phone etc. So, you pair the Inreach to your phone by downloading their app. You can then add emails etc for contacts. The Inreach will let you activate the emergency button without a phone etc, but the emergency response will try and contact you to get more details. Apparently you can send a message selecting individual letters on the Inreach, but that sounds really dire! So, using the phone was simple to type a message, send it, and to read a response. In fact I used email, as this automatically attaches a link to send a reply back, whereas texts do not. 
Bill

JohnnyMac 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Bill Thomson:

Yes, it’s easy to pair and text indirectly via the phone, texting via the inreach interface is very tedious even on the Explorer, never mind on a Mini.

Notwithstanding an Inreach SOS not needing a mobile signal in an emergency most Scottish tops actually have pretty good conventional mobile coverage.

I use inreach presets almost exclusively and mainly in remote glens which frequently don’t have mobile coverage  - just two clicks to send a preset to let home know you’re parked/started, checking in all good or down safe/on the way home, it’s 12.99 a month for peace of mind especially if you like your days remote and isolated.

Post edited at 22:53
 Ninenailspete 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

The Inreach mini links to some other Garmin devices so you can, for example, send a message from your watch without having to take your in reach out of your pack. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean by 'compatible devices'. Most of the time it's easier to either send a preset message from the in reach or compose a new message on the Earthmate app on your phone.

99ster 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Ninenailspete:

> The Inreach mini links to some other Garmin devices so you can, for example, send a message from your watch without having to take your in reach out of your pack. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean by 'compatible devices'. Most of the time it's easier to either send a preset message from the in reach or compose a new message on the Earthmate app on your phone.

Yes - that's spot-on.  I have a Garmin Instinct watch that's a 'compatible device' that will link to my InReach Mini which lets me activate the 'SOS' and check messages, etc from the watch, without having to touch the InReach Mini in my pack.  But of course, it's much easier to compose a new message via the app on your phone.

OP Bojo 02 Dec 2021

But does the InReach HAVE to be paired with another Garmin device?

OwenM 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

No, they work as stand alone devices. Pairing it to your phone just make messaging easier. Without using your phone you would have to spell out each word using the left, right, up and down button. You can just stick to the pre-set messages which wouldn't need the phone to send. 

OP Bojo 03 Dec 2021
In reply to OwenM:

So can I pair it to any smartphone? Sorry if I sound a bit of a plank but I'm never always sure about such technical matters.

OwenM 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

Yes, you just use the Earthmate app.

Iggy_B 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

Paired mine (Mini) with a Samsung. Worked great in Pakistan and Nepal. Definitely would recommend and sending the odd update assured family.

elsewhere 03 Dec 2021

I often turn on location tracking on my phone so my other half knows where I am. However it doesn't work if there's no data signal. Sometimes there's not enough signal for a voice call either but there may be for a text message.

Anybody know an app that can send my location as a text message to a specified recipient every half hour?

kevin stephens 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo: I also have an Ocean Signal PLB for sea kayaking. The signal will be picked up at a central monitoring station in Falmouth who will forward your position to the local coast guard for the GPS position together with relevant info that you gave when registering it, eg name, address, type of craft etc. If the signal comes from eg the mountains I guess they will contact the local rescue organisation but this may take a while with possibly some confusion on the way. Because the PLB is still small I would take it back country skiing/ski touring for when a phone signal is not available or accessible, but I wouldn’t put as much faith in it as when sea kayaking 

Scott K 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

I have the inreach mini - got it for long distance routes when there is no phone coverage for several days sometimes as my wife was getting stressed if she didn't hear from me. It has been great - as said above - I mainly use the preset messages. You can start and stop the subscription if you are on the monthly plan and if you are on the annual plan you can change plans as required eg you needed an unlimited plan for a summer trip but a basic plan for autumn. One word of warning, the basic plan has very little tracking points included (maybe none) and they cost 10p per point. This can mount up very quickly if you have tracking switched on.

This tracking has nothing to do with the units ability to know where you are so if you don't use the tracking points, you can still send your location and use the SOS function.

The monthly plan has an annual subscription but the annual one only has a one off fee.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...