Pennines in late July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DodgyKnee 31 May 2020

Hi everyone,

First time posting.

I need a little advice please.

I'm planning a trip in the Pennines and I'm concerned all the campsites (and pubs!) will still be closed.

The trip starts the the last week of July.

Grateful for any comments 

Mike

Herdwickmatt 31 May 2020
In reply to DodgyKnee:

I think campsites are aiming for opening first week of July in England

Lankyman 31 May 2020
In reply to DodgyKnee:

Which bit are you visiting? There's a lot of them.

The New NickB 31 May 2020
In reply to DodgyKnee:

Pubs and I think campsites are looking at 4th July for opening. Obviously there will be practical issues that mean that some may not open then. Hopefully, things will be a little better by then. Not sure what the attitude of locals will be, I'm in the Pennines, but a not particularly touristy bit of the South Pennines and haven't travelled far from home in the last couple of months.

ablackett 31 May 2020
In reply to DodgyKnee:

Only advice that anyone could give you is be prepared to not go, and be as well prepared as you can to go.

If the pubs are still closed you will need to take your own beer.

I'd advise planning on being entirely self sufficient for the trip, if campsites are open, the toilets and showers may not be, so look into some kind of portable camping toilet.  Take all the food you will need, so you don't have to interact with local communities and potentially spread the virus.

AukWalk 31 May 2020
In reply to DodgyKnee:

Yeah, as per ablackett I'd say be prepared for it to be called off at potentially short notice, and for pubs etc to be shut even if the campsites do open. The current dates for reopenings are only proposals, and if things don't go as the government plans then they may be put back, or the area might have some kind of local lockdown imposed - don't think anyone can be certain at this point.

I'm not planning anything more than a few weeks in the future at this point as it just feels pretty uncertain.

OP DodgyKnee 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Which bit are you visiting? There's a lot of them.

All of it: Pennine Way.

OP DodgyKnee 04 Jun 2020
In reply to ablackett:

>...

> I'd advise planning on being entirely self sufficient for the trip, if campsites are open, the toilets and showers may not be, so look into some kind of portable camping toilet.  Take all the food you will need, so you don't have to interact with local communities and potentially spread the virus.

The trip was going to be a laid back three week affair. That's a lot of freeze dried sawdust.

Good point about spreading the virus.

I just heard some sites will only be taking pre-booked and will operate at half capacity.

If they are open, maybe the facilities won't be.

The more I read, the more I think it'll have to keep till next year.

Post edited at 11:01
 TobyA 04 Jun 2020
In reply to DodgyKnee:

There is a pennine way walkers Facebook group where people running small business on the route have been posting about whether they will be open, or what services they offer when they are open, as well as lots of keen people who know the route, or bits of it, and can help with advice. Might be worth joining.

PaulJepson 04 Jun 2020
In reply to DodgyKnee:

Just wild camp. You will enjoy it a lot more (I stayed in one campsite when I did, and got zero sleep because there was a DofE/School/Scout group who pitched there. 

I also stayed at 2 bothies on the way (there is also Greg's hut but it didn't align with my plans). 

Only thing you might struggle with is transport and logistics getting from Kirk Yetholm to Berwick (assuming that's what you're doing?). There's a mountain refuge on The Cheviot which I stayed in the final night and I was in town by about 10am the next day. It was useful having a day at the hostel in KY so I could relax a bit and spend some time in the pub (you obviously won't have that problem). I hitched but can't imagine you'll have much luck doing that at the moment....

OP DodgyKnee 04 Jun 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> ...

> Only thing you might struggle with is transport and logistics getting from Kirk Yetholm to Berwick ....

There's a caveat on the bus websites warning of Covid-19 induced disruptions. Doesn't inspire confident decisions when there's only one or two buses a day!

PaulJepson 04 Jun 2020
In reply to DodgyKnee:

I'm sure you could get a taxi but you'd want to pre-book it and it'd be quite expensive. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...