Pen y Pass car park: how far in advance to book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tonker 19 Apr 2022

Was thinking of taking my son round the Snowdon Horseshoe on the May Bank holiday but would only consider it in good weather. 

Anyone know what my chances are on booking a spot in advance with just 4-5 days notice i.e. once I get a good idea of what the weather might be like. My guess is not very good.

I could gamble and book it now but would rather not potentially lose £18 if the weather bombs out.

It would be a day trip from West Yorkshire so the park and rides are out of the question.

Thanks

Neil Williams 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Tonker:

> It would be a day trip from West Yorkshire so the park and rides are out of the question.

Umm, why are they out of the question?  They're half hourly at worst (unless you're after a sunrise hike or similar) and take a few minutes.

Post edited at 12:52
OP Tonker 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

It's a 3 hour drive each way and I am not messing around with park and rides after/before that!

elliot.baker 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Tonker:

I know that last time I did it, last year mid-week not holidays, you couldn't book less than 24 hours in advance. I don't mean "it was fully booked 24 hours before" I mean they just turned off the booking option which was absolutely infuriating as made no sense.

My only (poor) advice would be to just have a look at what it's like now in 2 weeks, 1 week, 2 days etc. and try and judge. Factoring in that bank holidays will be 100x more in demand I presume.

In reply to Tonker:

Don't stress over it; if you leave it too long and you're out of luck, there's always the Llanberis path. Or any of the other, quieter, nicer, more enjoyable mountains that won't be overrun with hordes of grockles pooping in costa cups. Probably be a blessing if you missed out tbh.

OP Tonker 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Don't stress over it; if you leave it too long and you're out of luck, there's always the Llanberis path. Or any of the other, quieter, nicer, more enjoyable mountains that won't be overrun with hordes of grockles pooping in costa cups. Probably be a blessing if you missed out tbh.

They don't go over Crib Goch though which he wants to do.... it's the Horseshoe or nothing for him. He's keen

In reply to Tonker:

If crib goch is the aim a much better horseshoe is to go up the Cwm Glas ridge and come back down via Crib Goch and then the north ridge. You can park in the laybys if you get there early enough or failing that Nant Peris.

ianstevens 19 Apr 2022
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> If crib goch is the aim a much better horseshoe is to go up the Cwm Glas ridge and come back down via Crib Goch and then the north ridge. You can park in the laybys if you get there early enough or failing that Nant Peris.

There is no way a day trip from Yorkshire will get you to the pass early enough for a lay-by spot!

Saz Cooper 19 Apr 2022
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> Cwm Glas ridge and come back down via Crib Goch and then the north ridge. You can park in the laybys if you get there early enough or failing that Nant Peris.<

On a Bank Holiday?? You'll be popular! 

Pete Pozman 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Tonker:

> It's a 3 hour drive each way and I am not messing around with park and rides after/before that!

You won't get there in time for a parking spot, unless you set off at 04:30 and if you find yourself down at Pen y Gwryd  you'll have a nasty 40 minute trog  back up the tarmac before you get started.  The shuttle is the way to do it. 

Or... take him along the Nantlle Ridge and back, he'll love that. 

profitofdoom 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Or... take him along the Nantlle Ridge.....

That's my philosophy now. Going to Pen y Pass, and also Ogwen Cottage, on Bank Holidays recently I've found them absolutely flooded with people. Of course I'm not complaining about it, and of course I was part of the problem, but I'll seek out far less crowded and popular places these days

From now on I only want to stop at Pen y Pass or Ogwen Cottage at 6 or 7 AM on wet February mornings (not kidding)

Tyler 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Where can you park for Nantlle Ridge that isn’t similarly packed at the weekends, not being chippy I want to go but have been put off by the parking situation 

OP Tonker 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> You won't get there in time for a parking spot, unless you set off at 04:30 and if you find yourself down at Pen y Gwryd  you'll have a nasty 40 minute trog  back up the tarmac before you get started.  The shuttle is the way to do it. 

I wouldn't be rocking up without having pre booked a parking space at Pen Y Pass.

> Or... take him along the Nantlle Ridge and back, he'll love that. 

tbh I've been round the Horseshoe so many times I'd prefer the Nantlle Ridge but he's never done it and has his heart set on it.... can't blame him as for me it is one of the finest mountain days out in the UK.

Anyway it got called off as my wife decided to work on the bank holiday which means I have now child care duties...

Will head down one other weekend in May..... when it will be just as busy

Maggot 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Tonker:

Snowdon on a Bank Holiday?!

I'd rather take him out of school midweek and pay the fine.

David Bowler 28 Apr 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

" if you find yourself down at Pen y Gwryd  you'll have a nasty 40 minute trog  back up the tarmac before you get started."

Nobody needs to walk up the tarmac.There is a good signposted path beneath the road.

Alkis 29 Apr 2022
In reply to David Bowler:

Plus, I'm pretty sure it's not 40 minutes either, I can't remember the last time I actually parked at Pen-y-pass, I normally park at the bottom.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...