Peak District 400s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joshedwr 21 Jun 2020

Yesterday my partner and I did a walk around Mam Tor and Lose hill. We really enjoyed it but was wondering if there was a complete list of all the hills in the Peak District or even just a full list of the Peak District 400m peaks, I know there is a list to subscribe to in the logbook section but it does not appear to have a full list of them.

Thanks in advance 

TobyA 21 Jun 2020
In reply to joshedwr:

I bet the problem is there are so few peaks in the Peak! There is quite a lot of land over 400 mtrs, Burbage Bridge is 402 by the looks of the map for instance but where is the summit of that moorland?

I was walking with my family, well not the teenagers because they are teenagers, in upper Dovedale and there is lots of stuff down there above 400 mtrs, Chrome Hill is and that is a peak, but as the head of valley rises towards axe edge loads of it is higher than 400. The main road is at 500 mtrs at its highest I think! 

OP joshedwr 21 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah, I wonder what they best way of ticking them off would be? I like the idea of doing all the summits in the Peaks, a lot like people collect the Wainwright's etc

(I have seen a list on Wikipedia but not sure I trust how accurate it is)

Post edited at 15:01
 Lankyman 21 Jun 2020
In reply to joshedwr:

I made a similar list many years ago of 500m tops in Bowland. A lot of them were just barely prominent ring contours in the middle of a moorland. A couple of years ago (long, dry summer) I hoovered up a couple that I definitely knew I'd missed. It's a bit like Munro bagging in that it gives you an excuse to explore a bit and see a lot of cotton grass. I may even have one or two left to do?

There are many lists of hills online but the Marilyns are a very good one to use. They're hills with a prominence of 500 feet all around - that is a drop of 500 feet at least between them and the next hill. It means you can avoid a lot of fairly unimpressive lumps (although a lot of them are quite interesting too).

Post edited at 15:08
OP joshedwr 21 Jun 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Thats what I was thinking, I was wondering if there was already a list before I sit down with my maps and circle them all. I feel that could take me a little while!

In reply to joshedwr:

You'll find any summit that's on any kind of list on this site. You'll be able to create the list you want from there no probs.

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/ 

Iain Thow 22 Jun 2020
In reply to joshedwr:

I made one a few years ago. Many are minor bumps but they are usually in nice places and worth a visit. I extended it down to lower Peak District tops but many of those are on enclosed land and nothing to write home about.

PM me via the site if you want a copy as an excel file.

Cheers,

Iain

yorkshire_lad2 24 Jun 2020
In reply to cumbria mammoth:

> You'll find any summit that's on any kind of list on this site. You'll be able to create the list you want from there no probs.

Fantastic tip.  Thank you.  I've used http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/ before, but the search facility is perfect (I have to suppress my geek/anorak list ticking tendencies).  I could spend a lot of time on that search facility.  I'm just hatching (having been wondering what to do after I've finished the Wainwrights) a plan: hills over 600 meters in N Yorkshire looks a great way of taking me to all sorts of places I've never been (done many already, but being purist, might just have to do them again, _and_ those that I've not done).  And Thank you to http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/

BuzyG 25 Jun 2020

I hate to criticise a fine effort.  But, I downloaded the excel file and it only list 81 peaks tagged as being on Dartmoor.  There are hundreds listed on other sites and I have bagged over 300 named peaks myself.  As with all such lists, the more local you are. The more granularity/detail you will seek and find.

In reply to yorkshire_lad2: BuzyG

It's a good site to get lost in for any statto with an interest in fells. Another good one is if you find yourself staying overnight somewhere you think of as flat you'll soon find out a local hill to have a quick dart up. Just had a look at Norfolk and there's 22 summits listed there.

It seems like there generally has to be a consistent set of criteria for a summit to be listed. Most seem to have 30m drop on all sides, although they throw that out of the window in the Lake District. 

Iain Thow 26 Jun 2020

If you want to extend into lists of summits with under 20m drop (and more obscure selective lists) then you need to look at www.haroldstreet.org.uk

Even more to get stuck into there, including everything in the UK and Ireland with 15m drop and everything that's ever been a Munro Top.

Post edited at 20:20
 Baz P 10 Jul 2020
In reply to joshedwr:

As life is short why not try for all of the trig points. A lot easier to find and easier to do when travelling around the country. You could slip In the odd county top in as well. 
Not that I would admit to doing any of that.

N.B. You do have to stand on top of them for the complete tick.

Post edited at 23:23
 Lankyman 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Baz P:

> N.B. You do have to stand on top of them for the complete tick.

That might be a problem here https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4264225

Baz P 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

No, that one is easy, just need a shovel.

The hardest one to summit must be the one near Birdwell, Barnsley as it was lost when open casting. They really should have been made to replace it, that’s public money gone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...