Parking in Bethesda for N Carneddau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 it624 09 Oct 2019

Hi All,

Taking a group up to Ogwen valley this weekend, and in an attempt to tick some final few 3000's, I'm looking for advice on where to park in Bethesda (or similar area) in order to go up towards Carnedd Gwenllian and Foel Fras. Is there a classic spot that I haven't found in the guidebooks, or is it better to park in the middle of the village and walk a few km on the road?

wilkesley 09 Oct 2019
In reply to it624:

You could always drive round to Cwm Eigiau. Plenty of parking at the end of the road and good location for starting your walk.

See: http://ianbarton.co.uk/posts/2012-08-11-carneddau-horseshoe/ for a bit more detail.

Post edited at 09:28
 Simon Caldwell 09 Oct 2019
In reply to it624:

You can usually park near the school in Gerlan, if no space there then you're best off parking down in the village, there are a few lay bys by the A5 I think.

Pero 09 Oct 2019
In reply to it624:

An alternative is to go from Aber. For Foel Fras that might be a better walk than from Bethesda.

Although another vote from me for Cwm Eigiau.

Post edited at 11:19
 Hat Dude 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Pero:

> Although another vote from me for Cwm Eigiau.

there is also some parking above Rowen at Bwlch y Ddeufaen

JamButty 09 Oct 2019
In reply to it624:

I was up there last week,  did a loop from the top car park at Aber,  up past Llyn Anafon,  up to the col between Drum and Foel Fras.  I then dropped down to Aber Falls by a non descript route.

Had planned to go towards Llewellyn,  but calf injury meant I cut it short.  

Bit of a pain from Aber Falls back to original car park but otherwise a grand day out.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...