Overnight Parking N. Wales/Lakes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hans 23 Sep 2020

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to go on some wild camping trips in Snowdonia and the Lakes and was wondering if there are any car parks or places where it is permissable to park overnight? I wouldn't be sleeping in the car just leaving it while doing a circular journey. Any info appreciated!

Thanks

Babika 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Hans:

Maybe pay to leave it on a campsite or use Just Park? 

Small cost, secure parking, everybody's happy

ebdon 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Hans:

Sensibly in the vast majority of laybys in national parks is fine

Dark-Cloud 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Hans:

There are hundreds of different places in the Lakes, you might need to be a bit more specific of your chosen starting point.

OP Hans 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Babika:

Good idea, thanks, will check that out depending on where I am.

OP Hans 23 Sep 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Ah ok, good to know - I saw quite a few ticketed cars in the Ogwen valley last weekend but there weren't any signs saying they couldn't park where they were so wasn't sure. 

OP Hans 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Fair point, apologies - Keswick, Ambleside, Grasmere, Coniston, just the towns really. All are within walking distance of the fells. I've been finding it a bit tricky to find info on costs for overnight stays. Most say until midnight, but I figured there must be quite a few people doing overnight trips away from their cars. 

ebdon 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Hans:

They were probably on the road, almost no pay and display gives you the option for 24hrs, I have done it with the day fee at various car parks in N Wales before with no ticket but during less interest times...

In reply to Hans:

In Ogwen/ the Llanberis pass cars will have been either parked on double yellow lines, on a Clearway, on the pavement or in a dangerous position obstructing the highway, all of which are prohibited.

This has been a problem for years (people don't see a £35 parking fine as a problem) and has been worse this year due to Covid effects so the police have had to resort to towing. 

Park carefully in a layby and there wouldn't usually be a problem.

However bear in mind the current Covid advice to avoid unnecessary travel in Wales, and the Amber Alert status of most of North Wales' counties.

Post edited at 14:02
 GrahamD 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Hans:

Travel to Wales is actively discouraged at the moment.

Johnhi 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Hans:

Wouldn't give it a second though in the North lakes atleast, loads of places to park overnight.  Seems to be plenty of people doing so too when I've been out and about first thing in the morning.

Dark-Cloud 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Hans:

Plenty of options in the lakes but the obvious ones are:

Grasmere, layby on A591 just after the roundabout, larger layby on A591 on the left after the village, or for a few quid in the Travellers Rest Inn carpark

Keswick, Brundholme Road near Spooney Green lane

Ambleside, Under Loughrigg Road opposite the park or parking on the right after the lights at Waterhead

Coniston, Walna Scar road or the school at weekend for a few quid

There is a few other options but i'm keeping those under my hat

Post edited at 14:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...