Overnight Parking in Langdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 galpinos 23 Apr 2021

Having not been up for a while, and being aware of the tensions in the Lakes over the past 12 months, should one fancy a couple of big days in the hills with a wild camp, is there somewhere one could leave a car overnight without annoying anyone? Paid car park or lay-bys?

Lankyman 23 Apr 2021
In reply to galpinos:

Haven't been for over a year but I think you'd be OK at Elterwater. The one in the village is NT I think and the one on the edge is a paid one too. Might still be the odd lay-by on the common but probably blocked off with rocks or plugged by vanshitters ....

Dark-Cloud 23 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

The ODG let you park in their car park for a few quid if you ask nicely in the bar, that is if they are open...

Alternatively the lay-bys in grasmere get you pretty near to Langdale via Easdale.

Post edited at 16:09
 PaulJepson 23 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yeah when I went there a couple of years ago they let us park in exchange for chucking some money in the mountain rescue tin (fair play), though they didn't have a massive space and it was rainy so quiet. I'd imagine it could get quite full. 

Mark Eddy 23 Apr 2021
In reply to galpinos:

ODG is open and likely the best spot to head for.

As far as I know, the NT car parks require a new ticket to be purchased daily, so not ideal.

The few lay-bys there are fill up fast.

OP galpinos 23 Apr 2021
In reply to the thread:

Thanks all. Seems like the usual places are ok. 

Glyno 25 Apr 2021
In reply to galpinos:

I've always parked at the NT Campsite (about a fiver), though I'm not sure if that's feasible while they're not open. I can't remember whether or not there's a barrier, if not, I don't see why you couldn't just park there.

Post edited at 08:45
 LakesWinter 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Glyno:

What just park in a shut campsite during covid??? Think that would qualify as parking like a nob

John Kelly 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Glyno:

Sorry - Langdale campsite is closed at the moment

Post edited at 20:57
 Glyno 26 Apr 2021
In reply to LakesWinter:

> What just park in a shut campsite during covid??? Think that would qualify as parking like a nob

surely a shut campsite would be an empty campsite - covid or not? 

ps, you missed the k off knob, I think would qualify as thick.

Post edited at 20:01
 biggianthead 26 Apr 2021
In reply to galpinos:

Park in Ambleside and get the bus

biggianthead 26 Apr 2021
In reply to galpinos:

Or park in Keswick and get the bus

TobyA 26 Apr 2021
In reply to biggianthead:

OK, so where can someone park overnight in Ambleside? How long into the evening do the buses run etc.?

Galpinos's questions is a pertinent one for lots of us, because overnight parking brings with it a bunch of issues you don't get if just there for the day, so saying "park in Ambleside" isn't super helpful if you don't say why that's better for overnight parking.

wercat 26 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

big layby near Grasmere - you can walk over to Langdale via Easedale Tarn area

one reason for a supply dump concealed on the plateau behind Pavey Ark

Post edited at 22:25
OP galpinos 27 Apr 2021
In reply to everyone:

Thanks for all the replies. The were two NT rangers in the NT car park at the ODG. Had a lovely chat with them and they were happy with me leaving the car there overnight as a member. Not sure this will be a long term solution though.

As ever, a friendly chat works!

arjh 30 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

For a longer backpacking trip (BH weekend!) three day passes can be bought/used at these locations:

https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/parking/car-parki...

Last bus to the ODG arrives at 19:01 currently.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...