OS maps app down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone else having problems with the OS online maps? 

On my iPad it claims I have no subscription (checked it, I do). On my phone it will let me access some features but not all. On a computer I can’t log in at all, nor even see the usual login option!

Is it just me that it hates? 

In reply to Stuart Williams:

The app is working ok for me on iPad. 

Handsforfeet 15 Aug 2020

I have been using OS maps on my phone this week while walking in the Lakes without any issues

In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Ah damn it. Was kinda hoping it wasn’t just my account - I don’t think their customer services team have the best reputation! 

Thanks though, helpful to know other people can get in.

In reply to Handsforfeet:

Thanks, helpful to know

Wadam00 15 Aug 2020

Yes! It’s decided I no longer have access to premium maps

Andypeak 15 Aug 2020

My premium subscription has disappeared as well. 

I got an email, purporting to be from them, a couple of weeks ago. It had a link to some webpage, and asked me to use this link to log in with my username and password.

Essentially, it looked like a classic phishing attack.

I emailed their customer services to a) ask if it was genuine, and b) to point out to them the utter stupidity of sending out emails like that, pointing out that no reputable organisation would do such a thing.

Their reply utterly missed the phishing point. They're changing their systems, and, for some reason, that requires all users to jump through iffy security hoops.

I'm afraid the OS really don't seem to have much of a clue about providing a professional, consumer service. It seems to be stuck in a government agency mentality, where its 'customers' just have to put up with, and adapt to, whatever service, and changes to service, they see fit to provide.

Post edited at 21:59
Rhun 15 Aug 2020

i’m having similar problems this evening. Was fine this afternoon

KS132 16 Aug 2020

I’ve recently just bought an OSMaps subscription. I have logged on with the app on my phone and on line and with the app on my iPad. I created some routes on both devices on Friday but they’re not visible on both devices, ie the devices haven’t synced. I paid £23.99 (I think) for the subscription then saw somewhere that in order to sync across devices, I need to upgrade at a cost of £25? My friends don’t seem to have this issue. 

In reply to captain paranoia:

That’s interesting- I’m guessing the dodgy looking email did actually turn out to be from them?

It’s a shame really that they keep doing things like this, because otherwise I really quite like the app and use it loads. Might have to take another look at the alternatives once this subscription expires. 

In reply to KS132:

Yeah that doesn’t seem right - I’ve never had a problem syncing across devices (until now).

Yesterday on my phone I was getting some premium features and not all - syncing seemed to be one of the ones that was broken for me so it’s also telling me (falsely) that i need to upgrade. Although today all my routes have vanished anyway. Happily I’ve got enough sheets printed to keep me going for a wee while. 

KS132 16 Aug 2020

This morning I can’t search for routes (‘operation failed’, or similar). I previously tried to get in touch with customer services, when I had a password problem, but didn’t get a reply 🙁

BuzyG 16 Aug 2020

I find I hardy use the OS App any more. Every update they seemed to muck something up that previously worked.  Comes across as a very amateurish set up. Shame as I love OS maps and OS is the natural place to get them from.

AndyPalmer 16 Aug 2020

Same problem. No login link on browser version, and unable to open or save routes, including the one I've just spent ages plotting.

Does anyone have a solution please? Is it something to do with a previous email?

Cheers

Andy

AndyPalmer 16 Aug 2020

EDIT: It went wrong again, so solution not a solution!

SOLUTION: Just fixed it by deleting the cookies associated with OS Maps. Sign in link now back at top right of browser. OS really are a bunch of amateurs.

I'm using Firefox on Windows 10. Should be the same solution for any browser on any platform.

Hope this helps

Andy

Post edited at 11:47

Here's the email I received, 17/07 (I emailed them the same day):

We need you to log in.
We’re doing some essential maintenance work on our platform and as a registered user,  we need you to take two minutes of your time to log in to your account. This will make sure your account is up to date.

If you don't log in, next time you do log in you’ll be asked to reset your password to access your account. If you have any problems, please take a look at our how to video youtube.com/watch?v=t15jipKo2Ec& which will give you all the help you'll need.

Here's their response to my feedback, received 06/08:

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding the recent email you were sent about your OS Maps account. We understand you may be concerned and would like to reassure you that this is a genuine email from Ordnance Survey that we sent to you.   You will also find messaging on our website on the OS Maps pages to confirm this.

We are upgrading OS Maps and improving our systems to help you enjoy the outdoors to its fullest. As part of this, we’re moving to a new system to manage accounts and we have asked all of our customers to log in to refresh their accounts.

When you log in it will update our new system with your up-to-date information and ensure that you maintain access when we turn off the old system.

We hope this answers any questions you had, and we encourage you to follow the guidance in the email.

Post edited at 12:17
 Alpenglow 16 Aug 2020

I'm having an issue with accessing cached offline maps whilst I have no internet connection on the Android app.

You have to zoom in to the highest level and then it only loads one or two km2 at a time, everything else is black.

Does anyone else have this issue?

mattck 16 Aug 2020

After problems with the OS app, I'd recommend anyone to switch over to Viewranger (or OutdoorActive who have recently acquired them). Haven't had any issues with them.

Bulls Crack 16 Aug 2020
In reply to mattck:

I've had no problems with the app. OS have been really helpful during Covid - adapting their GetOutside app to allow organisations (including  the BMC, Ramblers, councils National Trust etc) to add info free of charge about where's open, what restrictions are in place, links to guidance etc 

AndyPalmer 16 Aug 2020

All working now, no thanks to me. Must have been something at the OS end, as usual.

I never received the email reproduced above.

In reply to AndyPalmer:

Yup, I’m back in action too! although too late to save me from getting hopelessly lost since I only had a print out of the first half of this mornings run. 

BuzyG 16 Aug 2020

Yup, my routes have magical reappeared sometime this afternoon.  I reverted to my paper map on Bodmin moor yesterday as I just could not get the OS App to show me the 25k map I had on my phone.  Will go check if that is working now too.

Post edited at 19:53
 KS132 16 Aug 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Well the routes I plotted on my phone have now appeared on my iPad but not vice verse. Whilst this is an improvement it’s not wholly useful given I don’t take my iPad out when walking 🙁. I certainly expected better from OS. 

DancingOnRock 17 Aug 2020

You could easily have done what I did and just go to the app and log out and back in. That’s not following any links and not likely to cause any problems. 

or so I thought. 

My premium membership has disappeared at the moment. I’ll wait for a few hours and then contact them. 

Deleted app and reinstalled. 

Have logged in no problem. 

Zooms right down to 1:25000 detail  some new features. 

But still shows “Upgrade to Go Premium” in blue on the account setting page. Clicking on it takes me to a page with subscription options. There’s a ‘restore purchases’ link that appears to do nothing.

Dark-Cloud 17 Aug 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Working for me now, back on Premium.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I guess the problem is at their end. It’s showing all the premium features just not showing I’m a premium subscriber. When I click on subscribe it displays a pop up saying  “already subscribed“ and then when I return to the app it says “cannot connect to iTunes Store”

> You could easily have done what I did and just go to the app and log out and back in. That’s not following any links and not likely to cause any problems

That's exactly what they should have recommended, and what any reputable organisation would do when asking clients to access password protected systems; you make them use their normal access channel, not follow a link in an email. This prevents customers falling for phishing or malware insertion attacks.

Indeed. I shudder to think of the havoc that could be unleashed by someone who knew  my OSMaps password. 

You're missing the point: it's online security 101. You don't send clients links in emails to access their accounts. You might be smart enough to use different passwords, others might not be. Does your OS account contain details of your payment mechanism? Your bank details, or card number?

That's ignoring the malware insertion risk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...