OS map app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 09 Jan 2021

I have just started using the OS map app on my Samsung Galaxy j6+ and whilst it is straight forward to use I am wondering why when I simply record a walk it only records in straight lines missing out the curves of the route. I assume this records less distance than I actually walked. Another app I have used - "mapmywalk" follows exactly along the route I am on.

OS Live-chat was useless suggesting I reload the app which didn't make any difference. I have also checked all the phone settings to make sure they are all properly linked for navigation.

Has anyone else had this problem or is there a simple explanation??

Thanks 

artif 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed UserNick Poole:

I have had the same issue, on a Sony phone, it seems to stop tracking in standby mode. I have to keep the phone awake all the time. I set the phone standby time to maximum which is about 10 minutes and remember to swipe the screen, which is OK on my bike with a bar mount, but useless for walking.

Another niggle is the lack heading up mode

Philip 09 Jan 2021

You need to give it location permission when in the background.

artif 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Philip:

> You need to give it location permission when in the background.

Excellent, I just checked and it was set to, only when in use.

Thanks

Andy Johnson 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Philip:

It's default permissions as listed on the app store allow it to access precise and approximate location only when in use. I don't know why this would be asit makes the route tracking feature essentially unusable. I think the developers need to have a look at their app manifest file.

I have an os maps subscription, but the mobile app is pretty mediocre. It seems like it was designed as part of some vague social media initiative were people would record and share walks etc. But if you want to actually use it in the hill you need to download offline maps, and the support for this seems pretty half-hearted.

If I've downloaded maps to my phone, why can't the app just use them? Why do I have to "load" a map from a list that isn't sorted into any apparent order? Why do I basically have to guess which map to load?

It's almost like nobody at the os (including the developers) actually use the app in any serious way.

artif 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Well I just proved the tracking works in standby after switching the setting. 

Not sure why you need to load the maps when offline, I just hit the centering button and the map automatically shows up. Even the layers move seamlessly when zooming in or out. 

Andy Johnson 09 Jan 2021
In reply to artif:

> Well I just proved the tracking works in standby after switching the setting. 

It should be set by default

> Not sure why you need to load the maps when offline, I just hit the centering button and the map automatically shows up. Even the layers move seamlessly when zooming in or out. 

Odd. Doesn't work for me.

Philip 09 Jan 2021
In reply to artif:

> Excellent, I just checked and it was set to, only when in use.

> Thanks

You're welcome. I had same problem today.

DancingOnRock 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Johnson:

It probably depends on how much phone memory you have and when you last looked at that area. 

My iPhone is showing 95Mb of data stored for the app even though I have no offline maps saved. That’s in addition to the 78Mb the app is. If I move round the country and zoom in and out it will only zoom in on areas where I have already used OSMaps. 

I do have the zoom level fixed to 1:25000, so it jumps from the huge scale straight down to 1:25000. 

Removed User 19 Jan 2021

Ok so back on the 9th my original comment mentioned about re-loading the app as recommended by OS live chat. Initially this didn't work but the second time I went out it recorded my route perfectly and has now done so ever since. I didn't alter any of my other phone settings so presumably it/my phone took a while to get to know each other.

My only criticism now is when following a route I have to orientate the phone to  keep the path in front of me in the direction of travel in the way a sat-nav does. Is there a feature for this either in the app or on my phone because I find that slightly frustrating?

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...