NW highlands conditions this week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr.S at work 22 Feb 2019

heading up on the train to a Achnashellach for a couple of days bumbling - rapidly dialling down my kit list based on SAIS blogs and forecast - is there any point at all in packing axe and crampons? Looks like snow cover similar to June....

In reply to Dr.S at work:

No snow  apart from a few patches in corries and gullies. 16 degrees in Kinlochewe yesterday.

OP Dr.S at work 22 Feb 2019
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Sunhat it is then!

girlymonkey 22 Feb 2019

Someone was telling me yesterday that they have seen their first midges of the year! You might want to pack repellent and a net!

OP Dr.S at work 22 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Someone was telling me yesterday that they have seen their first midges of the year! You might want to pack repellent and a net!

FFS.

still with any luck, a premature emergence and then a March/April cold snap could knock the little feckers back for a bit. Silver linings and all that......

DaveHK 22 Feb 2019

> still with any luck, a premature emergence and then a March/April cold snap could knock the little feckers back for a bit. Silver linings and all that......

That never seems to work.

Simon Caldwell 22 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Someone was telling me yesterday that they have seen their first midges of the year!

Probably not biting yet though. </wishful thinking>

Flinticus 22 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I doubt it. It was probably something else

My wife thinks any small flying insect is a midge. Its the default identification in Scotland, but in Feb??

Mike-W-99 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I've seen them in November so why not February.

Grahame N 22 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Someone was telling me yesterday that they have seen their first midges of the year! You might want to pack repellent and a net!

I doubt they were midges, but apparently ticks are out and about. See the News this morning https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47332240

girlymonkey 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

This was another outdoor instructor who saw them, so I'm inclined to believe him, sadly!

Rick Graham 22 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Excuse me for splitting hairs , but there is a vast difference between seeing midges and being attacked by them.

It is soon obvious if they are the genuine article .

girlymonkey 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Rick Graham:

They usually come out for a couple of weeks before they start biting, but I didn't press for details. He said there were midges out where he was, and I responded in a suitably appalled manner and we moved on. 

I hope he's wrong!!

Mark Bull 22 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Don't worry - there are a number of species of non-biting midge that emerge much earlier in the Spring than the main biting species (Culicoides impunctatus). 

Post edited at 14:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...