Nice walking in the East Mids / East Anglia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 27 Jun 2018

A spare day last weekend got me wondering: what are the least worst daytrip options for a walker based in East Anglia? For these purposes I'll accept East Anglia and most of the East Mids, but not going as far as the Peak District. I'm not expecting to suddenly discover a Norfolk equivalent to the Black Cuillin that I wasn't previously aware of, but it'd be nice to find some day walks that tick the following boxes:

* Reasonably sustained off-road walking with a minimum of jinking in and out of farms, cutting back along roads and so on.

* Varied and interesting, ie not just plodding along a forest track or fenland riverbank with exactly the same view for six hours.

* Some sort of reasonably natural objective, eg getting between two places or following what in these parts passes for a "ridge".

* A view at some point might be nice.

We actually did a chunk of the Icknield Way, from Great Chesterford to Royston, and we've done the Royston to Baldock section in the past as well, and they were both surprisingly decent.

GrahamD 27 Jun 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Hi Dave, depends whether you have access to a car, but the Barton Hills are surprisingly good and pretty close to Cambridge.  Great pub and a great cafe at Hexton, too.

OP Ramblin dave 27 Jun 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Thanks! Actually, from a train point of view it looks like they'd link in with another section of Icknield Way, starting from Letchworth and finishing with a bus back to Hitchin. (Edit: or a bus from Barton le Clay to Bedford or something...)

Post edited at 17:51
 wilkie14c 27 Jun 2018

You know there are wildlings beyond those hills don’t you?

GrahamD 28 Jun 2018
In reply to wilkie14c:

Have you met Dave ??

Matt Rees 28 Jun 2018

Knightley Way in S. Northamptonshire.  The exact opposite of Skye ridge, but charming nonetheless.  Sort of Cotswoldish, but without having to go so far west.  

Post edited at 15:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...