New hand-drawn walking guide to Dark Peak moors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 02 Mar 2019

I picked up a copy of this book today and have been leafing through it since:

https://christophergoddard.net/product/south-yorkshire-moors/

Oh my gosh it is a thing of beauty, clearly a real labour of love.   Hand drawn maps, lots of sketches and a ton of densely packed interesting stuff - landmarks, history, wildlife, y'know.

I can't recommend this highly enough.  (Especially for anyone who gets a bit nostalgic about the now outdated climbing guides with the topos drawn by Malc Baxter et al.)

For those of us in and around Sheffield, his blog post here contains a surprisingly long list of shops where you might currently find a copy (I bought mine at 'Accelerate' in Attercliffe):
https://christophergoddard.net/2019/02/16/hats-off-independent-sheffield/

mbh 02 Mar 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

...and those further afield can buy his books online, postage free, direct from his web site. 

BnB 02 Mar 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Chris is a neighbour of ours and his books are painstakingly produced. It’s impossible not to make the comparison with AW himself, of course, and the books are neither as ergonomically intuitive nor as fastidiously edited. But the fact that they warrant a comparison at all is recommendation enough. I find they are good for inspiration when you don’t necessarily want to follow a guide all day but appreciate being sent to some new locations.

paddledog 03 Mar 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Hi Deepsoup - many thanks for this, we need more of these wonderful independents.

Will order directly as soon as this is posted.

Cheers,

PD

greg_may_ 03 Mar 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Chris is a fell runner in the same club as myself and my wife. His local Calder Valley books are wonderful and give us great ideas of some other places to get out over our normal loops!

Nice bloke too

OP deepsoup 03 Mar 2019
In reply to greg_may_:

Funnily enough I got out for a nice run today that was much improved by a bit of info from this book.  A route around Langsett reservoir and up a shooting estate landrover/quad track on to the moor to meet the Cut Gate path back down - I've done it once before but hadn't realised the 'private' bit of the track can be bypassed via a *much* nicer path across access land which, as a bonus, also takes away the paranoia that there may be a confrontation with an irate gamekeeper any minute.

I don't think I have much use for his other books tbh, but I might have to buy a copy anyway!
(Slightly disappointing that the West Yorkshire Moors book is out of stock at the mo, I hope there's another run of them in the pipeline.)

Post edited at 22:41
 matt_chan 04 Mar 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Saw your post and bought the book! It's great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Foothills in Sheffield have all three books in stock.

In reply to deepsoup:

Looks like there’s a 2nd edition of the West Yorkshire moors on the way- if so will definitely be getting it.

OP deepsoup 04 Mar 2019
In reply to matt_chan:

> Foothills in Sheffield have all three books in stock.

Great, thanks for the tip.

I was about to email him to see if there's another print run or a second edition of the West Yorkshire book in the pipeline, then I googled a bit and discovered that it's (just) already out.  I haven't been in Foothills for years but I'm probably passing by that way later on today, hopefully I'll have time to call in and have a look.  If it's the new edition they have in I'll buy a copy, if it's the old one I'll probably buy the new one online:  https://www.gritstone.coop/books/west-yorkshire-moors/

OP deepsoup 04 Mar 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Ah - I hadn't seen your post when I replied to max_chan.  Here's that link again.
https://www.gritstone.coop/books/west-yorkshire-moors/

OP deepsoup 18 Mar 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> Looks like there’s a 2nd edition of the West Yorkshire moors on the way- if so will definitely be getting it.

My copy landed on the doormat last week, it's lovely.  Unlike the S Yorks book, it mostly covers areas I haven't explored at all, need to plan a few days out in the spring I think..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...