Nature writing from Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Jarvis 29 Jan 2021

Some of you might be interested in the video and books in this link. The booklist cold keep me going for some time. 

https://booksfromscotland.com/2020/10/second-nature-new-nature-writing-from...

Iain Thow 31 Jan 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Some excellent reads on there, including several I didn't know of that sound great. Adam Nicholson's "Sea Room" is one obvious omission, and I would have included Mike Cawthorne's "Wilderness Dreams". An outdoor audience might well pick "A High and Lonely Place" of Jim Crumley's books, and of Kathleen Jamie's I personally preferred Findings and Sightlines to Surfacing. All great stuff though.

Thanks for this - I needed a new thread to my reading and this has provided it with some old favourites but lots of new stuff.

Doug 01 Feb 2021

Thanks, I knew of/have read many of those but there were some which were new to me. Thought it odd that its labelled 'new nature writing' but starts with Nan Shepherd's classic 'The Living Mountain', written during the 2nd World War & published in the 1970s.

In reply to Iain Thow:

+1 for Sea Room and add in Frank Fraser Darling - Island years, Island farm.

For anyone interested in The Little Loch Broom area I can strongly recommend the recently published "Scoraig-APeninsula and it's People" by James MacGregor. A very extensively researched social history of the area up until 1963. A poignant tribute to those who once lived there. Next time you're on An Teallach look over and remember them.

Olaf Prot 06 Feb 2021

I thought this was going to be a sequel to "Novel writing from Wessex"?

Tringa 07 Feb 2021
In reply to Olaf Prot:

Another vote for Adam Nicolson's 'Sea Room' about his family's history with the Shiants.

'Isolation Shepherd' by Iain R Thomson is also worth a read.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...