Mynydd Du car park and access road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 it624 08 Nov 2019

Hi all,

I'm looking to take a couple of vans up to the Mynydd Du car park (SO 2524 2847) next Saturday, but wanted to do a quick check that:

a) The fairly small road up to it isn't impassable for a larger (~2m wide) vehicle, or even width-restricted, and

b) parking two vans (VW Transporters to be precise, so not minibuses!) won't completely fill/block up the car park such that no one else could use it, to not irritate anyone else.

Any local knowledge gratefully received!

Mike Peacock 08 Nov 2019
In reply to it624:

I can't comment on the road as it's been years since I drove it, but the car park is a decent size:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3590513

Here it is on Google Streetview:
https://tinyurl.com/yxr5yhpa
Why not start there and virtually drive back to see the road?

And an aside: isn't Mynydd Du the name more usually given to the Black Mountain (the far western range), whilst the Black Mountains (where you're asking about) be Mynyddoedd Duon? Of course, the Black Mountains do have a summit named Black Mountain just to further confuse matters...

Post edited at 18:52
OP it624 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Thanks Mike!

I was aware of the English Black Mountains v Black Mountain thing, but apparently my Welsh isn't good enough to account for the plurals there... I'm much hotter on which spelling of Coire/Corrie is correct, or whether it's "an Lochan" or "nan Lochan"!

Post edited at 19:16
 Welsh Kate 08 Nov 2019
In reply to it624:

I was up there on a callout a few months ago and one of our fellow MRTs got their control vehicle up there, which is decent van sized (don't know the exact details). I don't think you'd struggle taking VW Transporters up there, and there's plenty of space in the generously sized car park.

And yes - it's the Black Mountains - Mynydd Du is far better for walking, to be fair, but the eastern end of the Beacons ain't too bad

OP it624 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks very much! All going well, you won't be hearing from us next weekend...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...