Mullardoch kayak launching.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 21 Mar 2023

Does anyone know feasible it would be to get a sea kayak from my car to a suitable launching point at the Mullardoch dam. It's a while since I was last there and I seem to remember parking well down below the dam - is it possible to get reasonably near the water even if I then left my car further away. I would be willing to but one of those trolley things if it helped. I may well be on my own. I am trying to finish off a Munro round with knackered knees and am having to be inventive with some of the remoter ones!

Post edited at 20:57
 Graeme G 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Did these a few years ago. Yes the car park is at the bottom of the hill, below the dam. A quick look at an OS map suggests to me it’s a 5 minute walk to get past the dam. Can’t help with how easy it would be launch a kayak. I camped on the plateau just west of Sgurr na Lapaich. Then out west and back along the ridge. Saved the tedious drudge along the loch side.

You can hire a ferry ride.

http://www.loch-mullardoch-ferry.co.uk/

Post edited at 21:11
 Mal Grey 21 Mar 2023

I'm decades out of date. However, the Walk Highlands write up for Mullardoch suggests you can drive up to the top of the north end of the dam, but parking is limited. I know they try to keep these up to date. there. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochness/mullardoch-munros.shtml

Google Maps Streetview would suggest its pretty short distance to the water, assuming the reservoir is a normal levels, and that a trolley may help. So maybe drop kayak off at top then park car lower down.

Streetview also shows a couple with a Saab having a picnic at the south end of the dam, and an easier gentle slope to the water, but not sure if that is reflective of reality or what's acceptable!

Graeme G 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Mal Grey:

Good shout. Streetview seems to show you can drive all the way up to the gate at Benula Lodge on the north side. Where it looks easy enough to launch. So drop off kayak and drive back down to the car park. Def looks possible on the north side.

rif 21 Mar 2023

There's a reasonably smooth dirt road from the dam to the launch beach (start on the hydro track then drop down left), and I'd be surprised if anyone minded you using it to drop your kayak off then driving back to the parking below the dam. I can send you a photo if you pm me.

The ferry isn't running this year according to a thread in WH.

Rob F

OP Robert Durran 21 Mar 2023
In reply to rif:

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds promising. I might manage a recce at some point, maybe when in the area for the Strathfarrar Munros.

The plan would be to use the kayak to approach a natural circuit of Munros on the south of the Loch (Fionnlaigh, Carn Eighe, Ceathreamhan, Dheiragain) with a summit bivi. 

petesdavies 21 Mar 2023

I’ve driven up to the north end of the dam to drop off my kayak and kit and then left the car at the parking beneath the dam. From the north end drop off it was about a 5 min carry to where I launched. A trolley might be nice to have but by no means essential.

Post edited at 23:08
OP Robert Durran 22 Mar 2023
In reply to petesdavies:

> I’ve driven up to the north end of the dam to drop off my kayak and kit and then left the car at the parking beneath the dam. From the north end drop off it was about a 5 min carry to where I launched. A trolley might be nice to have but by no means essential.

Great, thanks.

ScraggyGoat 22 Mar 2023

South End of Dam;  I have launched here from the viewing carpark.  There is a short steep rubble bank/slip, and the distance to the water is far less than the N end. However three things count against this. 1) the estate (presumably with the collusion of SSE and others) gated and locked the public road to the public viewing car park at the S end, well below the dam during the 1st covid lockdown, 2) I subsequently learnt that the outtake pipe work to the power house is almost below this point and 3) I have subsequently seen in a strong westerly wicked clapotis developed off the dam wall, with the right wind this zone may extend to this spot.

North End; I’ve looked at this, as above you could drive up to the gate and unload. The gate is a bit of an obstruction but from memory I thought you could squeeze a kayak past.  I trolley would definitely help getting the boat to the water. The landing is far enough away from the dam to be clear of clapotis, assuming that with a strong westerly tail wind you have the skill to maintain directional control of your kayak.

Re the South end I did look on Highland councils website and could find no de-adoption or road closed notice, so think the gate is/was an illegal obstruction. Sadly I never lodge a complaint with the council. The S end car park had a great.

streapadair 22 Mar 2023

This is not strictly relevant, Robert, but I've been reminded of a time in the spring of '99 when I rowed across Mullardoch, from the estate let known as the Seldom Inn to the confluence of the old stalking paths up into the hills. There was a sort of bothy near the shore, formed of portacabins.These being inherently impermanent, I've no idea if they're still there.

ScraggyGoat 22 Mar 2023
In reply to streapadair:

It’s still there, estate changed hands in the last couple of years and is available for sporting guests.

Robert:
View of the now inaccessible South end and position of pipes (third photo down)

http://www.corestore.org/MullardochDam.htm

Not Sure if Derek Hepburn whom went missing in April last year was ever found, so if you are doing a non standard route it would be worth keeping an eye out.

jk25002 22 Mar 2023

I took a 15ft wooden open canoe there. We drove right up to the dam on the north side, and it wasn't very far to carry (though there were 3 of us). Bear in mind this was 15 years ago.

Scomuir 22 Mar 2023

April 2021 it was possible to drive up to the North end of the dam, dump your stuff, then park below the dam.  Easy access to the water from there.  We had an inflatable kayak (also heavy), skis, and all sorts of stuff.  Definitely worth it the short return walk!

In reply to streapadair:

> This is not strictly relevant, Robert, but I've been reminded of a time in the spring of '99 when I rowed across Mullardoch, from the estate let known as the Seldom Inn to the confluence of the old stalking paths up into the hills. There was a sort of bothy near the shore, formed of portacabins.These being inherently impermanent, I've no idea if they're still there.

So is that on the north side where a building is marked on the map?

Thanks all. Looks like the north side should work fine. I'd only go in calm kayaking conditions and I don't want to get sucked in to any pipes and end up in a turbine!

ScraggyGoat 22 Mar 2023

South side near shore by stream issuing from Coire Domhain.

Hi Robert, I did that very circuit from the Mullardoch side via a kayak approach for this book:

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/great-mountain-days-in-scotland

Of the 50 routes selected for the book I thought it was one of the most exciting mini-expeditions. If you like a nice logical line on a map then it does seem the most satisfying way to climb all those hills.

By boat much more fun than the loch-shore path. We camped by the shore in the mouth of the corrie, saved having to carry loads on the hills (but maybe you want to sleep high for the early light?)

Launching north of the dam was no issue at the time  

I'd just add that Mullardoch felt a very serious place to be in a small boat in cold and windy early spring weather, with nobody else around. If it's windy the waves will be big, and falling in would not be fun. I don't think we wore wetsuits but it might not be a bad idea.

We crossed the loch early and hugged the south shore which is more scenic and was comparatively sheltered at the time. Coming back was excitingly blustery. 

Check wind speed and direction forecast. If you're trying to get back from the west end of the loch into a strong headwind then it would be arduous at best.

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Of the 50 routes selected for the book I thought it was one of the most exciting mini-expeditions. If you like a nice logical line on a map then it does seem the most satisfying way to climb all those hills.

Yes, logical and avoids the awkwardness of Fionnlaigh and Dheiragain from the south.

> By boat much more fun than the loch-shore path.

I think, if not using a kayak, I would approach from the west by bike to Iron lodge and then on foot. 

> We camped by the shore in the mouth of the corrie, saved having to carry loads on the hills (but maybe you want to sleep high for the early light?)

Yes, a summit bivi on either Carn Eighe or Ceathreamhnan for photography and because I'm not sure my knees would cope with the whole round in a day (I've set myself a target of finishing off the last thirty of my fourth Munro round this spring, but need to avoid big days!)

Post edited at 10:13
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> I'd just add that Mullardoch felt a very serious place to be in a small boat in cold and windy early spring weather.

I'll probably aim for May or June and I'll be very cautious especially if I'm on my own and would only go if bomber low wind forecast and even then hug the shore.

I did a similar two day trip by kayak to Ladhar Bheinn from Kinloch Hourn with a fantastic summit bivi last autumn, which was immensely satisfying, especially cruising past people on the horrible coastal path who had overtaken me while I nursed my knees on the descent. But I was too nervous of the narrows even to take advantage of the tides and did both paddles at slack water!

deepsoup 22 Mar 2023

> I was too nervous of the narrows even to take advantage of the tides and did both paddles at slack water!

Have you ever thought about getting a bit of coaching to boost your confidence?  A 'dynamic water' course or similar over a couple or three days might be money very well spent indeed.

ScraggyGoat 22 Mar 2023

If you can excuse a bit of rampant reminiscing?  I had a wonderful paddle on Mullardoch one December. It had snowed overnight down to Glen level, so when paddling the Loch the edge scars were dominantly masked. The Cally pines were holding snow as well, so it looked very festive. My partner was collecting tops so we stopped off on the North side and went up and down, before paddling along to the west.  At the narrows I saw a very odd feature in the water, it looked like a log with branches sticking up, but was moving. On closer inspection it was a Stag trying to swim from one side of the Loch to the other with just its antlers nose and top back above the water, there was still a bit of late ‘rut’ going on, so presumably it was trying to get to some females in the other side. I’d never seen a deer swim any distance before, almost completely silent bar a little bit of breathing.

At the west end the wind picked up and the light shafted through the valley as twilight started giving a golden hue, but underlain with prismatic colours from spray coming off the waves.

With the temp dropping, the front decks, pumps and  spare splits began to ice up from the spray and bows occasionally dipping and  breaking through the waves. When we landed the hulls immediately iced and if the boats hadn’t had toggles we would have struggled to carry them.

A heavy weight camp was followed by another top the next day, and a downwind run back to the dam, from leaving the west end, with the push we were back at the dam in about an hour and a half. We saw no one for the two days, apart from briefly the Helimed transiting back to Inverness, surprisingly low, well below minimum safe altitude, so we gave each other friendly waves.

Though to echo Dan, if you got into trouble in cold winter/spring water the end game would not be good. We had our drysuits on, but kit can only buy you so much time if in the water.

Post edited at 12:21
In reply to deepsoup:

> Have you ever thought about getting a bit of coaching to boost your confidence?  A 'dynamic water' course or similar over a couple or three days might be money very well spent indeed.

Yes, maybe something I should do. 

Just out of interest. How long did it take you to paddle from Kinlochhourn to presumably Barrisdale Bay? Hadn't thought about using the water to save the walk. Thanks

OP Robert Durran 27 Mar 2023
In reply to MalcyversustheMunros:

> Just out of interest. How long did it take you to paddle from Kinlochhourn to presumably Barrisdale Bay? Hadn't thought about using the water to save the walk. Thanks

About two hours I think.

Fat Bumbly2 27 Mar 2023

I once left Barrisdale by the Herring Path to Corran. Built to service a ferry it is one of the best constructed paths in the Highlands.  If you have a packraft, this could be a good option.   I dont remember the details of how, but I managed to get a lift out of Barrisdale.

JW2020 27 Mar 2023

I did a similar route a couple of years ago. The road to the south side of the dam had a barrier, which was a shame because it looks a much better put in spot than the north side. The north side near the dam isn't very far, but the ground is pretty rough, so a trolley is little/no use. On your own it's quite a grunt to get to the water! There may be an alternative on the north side, but I didn't check it out - 200m further west along the track (on the N side of the loch) there is boat access to the water edge. This may be an easier option being able to use a trolley all the way down to the water. But check the south side first, it looked the best bet.

ScraggyGoat 27 Mar 2023
In reply to MalcyversustheMunros:

It is quicker than walking, but to gain maximum advantage needs an efficient pack and  launch towards high tide.

4.0m tide or above easy launch from/to long stay car park. 3.0m tide should also be possible. This means you are loading your boat right by the car, and you don’t need the slip; which at this state of the tide may have estate activity. There is only a small window in the tide when the slip is useable by estate craft.

2.1m tide allows paddle and walk/float to/from long stay, linking deeper channels (which is a pain) or launch from slip further along road with 50-150m carry; for the slip you need to quickly drop boat/ gear and then park up back at the long stay. At this lower state of the tide the estate is unlikely to be using the slip, but given its single track road, limited turning and space, it’s good practice to minimise any impact on estate activity. You will see from the signs that the estate has had problems in the past.

Graeme G 27 Mar 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Is Loch Mullardoch tidal?

In reply to Graeme G:

> Is Loch Mullardoch tidal?

They are talking about Loch Hourn! Though water level on a reservoir could affect things.

In reply to Graeme G:

> Is Loch Mullardoch tidal?

They are talking about Loch Hourn! Though the water level on a reservoir could affect things.

Graeme G 27 Mar 2023

D’oh! Hadn’t realised the thread had moved on……

deepsoup 27 Mar 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Thanks for that - I'm filing that away for future reference..

Do you have any thoughts on paddling in to Barrisdale Bay from Corran or Arnisdale instead?  I guess the devil is in the detail of the drive there, but it looks like it might be a more convenient launching spot especially at low water.

ScraggyGoat 28 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

I’ve done from Corran, still a bit of a pain at low tide, as the car park is by the river mouth and the river mouth bars dry, so you still have to carry.  IIRC the cobbly beach wouldn’t be very good for a trolley.

It’s also more exposed to the W and SW with longer fetch, so launching could be into waves and a greater sea state once off the beach.

deepsoup 28 Mar 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> I’ve done from Corran, still a bit of a pain at low tide, as the car park is by the river mouth and the river mouth bars dry, so you still have to carry.  IIRC the cobbly beach wouldn’t be very good for a trolley.

Ta.  That was the thing that had me wondering about Arnisdale, still a cobbly beach but it looks like a shorter carry.  I guess the limitation would be whether or not it's a bit antisocial to leave the van parked there for a day or two.

Post edited at 17:25
 Martin W 28 Mar 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Many years ago some pals of mine did Corran to Barrisdale Bay in Canadian canoes.  Apparently the paddle in was uneventful, but the return trip was against a strong westerly, which (a) slowed things up, and (b) caused the canoes to take on a lot of water, so frequent baling was required - which slowed things up even further.  I think that one was put down as an "adventure".

OP Robert Durran 03 Apr 2023

Just done a recce.

The road to the south end of the dam has a locked gate soon after the junction so is no good.

At the north end there is a parking/turning place right at the end of the dam. There is a "no cars beyond this point" notice here and a locked gate a bit further on. From the parking spot it should be possible to drag and manhandle a kayak about 50m to a shingle beach (at today's water level) right along side the dam. A trolley ought to allow a kayak, once lifted over the gate, to be taken a few hundred metres further almost to the water's edge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...