Midge repeller

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 10 Aug 2018

Has anyone used this?

https://www.thermacell.com/

And did it work??

jon59 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Hi, I've just used the backpacker setup throughout the north of Scotland on holiday for the last three weeks. I was a little bit sceptical at first but can honestly say it works like a dream, only down side the refills are a bit expensive.

OP Flinticus 11 Aug 2018
In reply to jon59:

Thanks. Might be the answer to extending my camping season.

Roberttaylor 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Has anyone used citronella candles? How effective have you found them?

The Lemming 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Roberttaylor:

It's very hard to burn them all without spilling the wax.

As for just relying on the aromatic benefits, I found them useless to the volume of the flying enemy in Scotland.

andymac 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

From deepest Argyll,

dare I say...

what feckin midges?

I haven't any encountered a for weeks.

Rigid Raider 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Citronella candles are probably the least effective insect repellent, the odour of citronella is volatile and moves away fast and I don't know if there's any evidence that it repels insects anyway.

Those repellers linked are just another variation on the heated mat containing pyrethrum, which does work. Hotels in Africa have them but by the time the mozzie is in your room the only remedy is insecticide spray.

We have found that mosquito coils, which are also pyrethrum, burned around the tent entrance work well. Burn them inside the tent and midges die in 15 minutes but everything will smell smokey and you will get mild bronchitis from the smoke.

Removed User 12 Aug 2018
In reply to andymac:

> From deepest Argyll,

> dare I say...

> what feckin midges?

> I haven't any encountered a for weeks.

Agreed, Lismore appears to be pretty much a midge free zone at present.

andymac 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Agreed, Lismore appears to be pretty much a midge free zone at present.

Mull is the same.

i thing that heatwave frazzled the little feckers

jonnie3430 13 Aug 2018
In reply to andymac:

They're all in the fisherfield at the moment, they'll be back soon as it is a bit overcrowded.

peppermill 14 Aug 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Smidge and a head net

pasbury 14 Aug 2018
In reply to Roberttaylor:

I find a Montecristo #4 to be more effective.

Post edited at 09:07
 Colin Wells 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Bit late I know, but maybe this might be useful to folk in the future searching for Thermacell stuff.

Have been using the original Thermacell (larger unit) for many years now - it has inariably been very effective.

The gas refills are exactly the same as those used in Babyliss cordless hair straighteners - and these are considerably cheaper than the Thermacell branded varieties (around a fiver - or less if you shop around).

Even cheaper, with a simple hack you can re-use your gas cyclinders and refill them with butane from lighter refill cans. Several guides showing how to do this are available on a well known video hosting website.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...