Meindl Borneo Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 07 Jan 2020

Has anyone got Meindl Borneo boots?  They seem to have very good reviews, and are leather with leather linings rather than leather lined with Gortex.

I am on my third pair of Meindl Bhutans which are great, but I have found that after a couple of years hard use the leather cracks noticeably, particularly at the front sides where they crease. Eventually the Gortex starts to leak and the time comes to replace them.

I am now considering the Borneos because it seems that despite the lack of a Gortex lining they are waterproof, but the leather is thicker and of better quality, and less likely to crack.

I'd be interested to learn from anyone who has got Borneos, what they think of them? Pros and Cons

Thanks in advance 

Sir Chasm 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Got a pair in 2009, after a fair bit of hammer the leather is just starting to crack on a line across the bottom of the lacing (where your toes flex) and let a little seep of water in when the wax wears off. But they’ve been lovely and comfortable, as waterproof as I’d expect from a leather boot, a bit warm in summer if I’m not wearing fell shoes, and Santa has brought me a new pair that I hope last another 10 years.

olddirtydoggy 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Had a pair that served me well. I noticed that hiking over peat bogs, even with good after care did start to break down the leather faster. I got 2 years out of mine and then switched to a GTX lined boot. Id say it depends what terrain you're hiking, rocky mountain paths good, wet peat bogs bad.

Toerag 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

I've a pair a year or two old. The rubber rand is developing hairline cracks all over the place but seems to be holding up.  The toe box is reasonably narrow compared to previous boots I've had (Raichle, Berghaus) Waterproofing seems OK still. Sole is fine but rubbish on ice (although I don't know if all walking boots are rubbish on ice as I rarely encounter it).

Wingnut 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

I'm on my second pair, having worn the first pair to the point where the soles had about as much grip left as a wet fish. Didn't notice any particular issues with water ingress (well, apart from that time I failed to see a leat before falling in it, but it wasn't just wet boots on that occasion). The uppers eventually gave out, but they were the last bit to die.

Suit the shape of my feet and not too sweaty in summer. They did seem to wear out quite quickly, but I wasn't exactly tracking how much mileage I was doing ...

russellcampbell 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> I've a pair a year or two old. The rubber rand is developing hairline cracks all over the place but seems to be holding up.  The toe box is reasonably narrow compared to previous boots I've had (Raichle, Berghaus) Waterproofing seems OK still. Sole is fine but rubbish on ice (although I don't know if all walking boots are rubbish on ice as I rarely encounter it).

Off piste here. I notice you talk about toe box being narrow. A few years ago I bought a pair of Meindle Burmas which I think were the fore runners of the Bhutans. Great fit. Still use them although leather is a bit cracked in places. About a year after I bought the Burmas bought a second pair which were going cheap in Tisos. Look identical to first pair but I gave up wearing them after a few walks because they are agony on my toes. Too sore even to walk the dog. Keep meaning to hand them in to a local charity shop.

Basemetal 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

I've got a pair of Borneo (the non-Goretex, with memory foam, leather inner). I've had them 10 years now and wear them through winter. I rate them high on build quality and sole design. I treat them with Sno-seal beeswax and haven't had a leak. I don't find them just as comfortable as a pair of same age Brasher Hillmaster IIs I use, but they are slightly  lighter. The Meindls are slightly stiffer as well as narrower at the ankle (not the heel) and the memory foam makes them quite a snug fit. I have pointy ankle bones so occasionally get a bit of reddening though not to the point of blistering.  Was out on Saturday up Braeriach from the Sugar Bowl in pouring rain the whole day and feet were dry. I think beeswax treatment really helps prevent leather cracking -and it's compatible with Goretex and with Nikwax.

olddirtydoggy 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

The Scarpa SL's are another pure leather boot. I hear Scarpa are pretty particular on the quality of the leather so might be worth a look.

Wingnut 08 Jan 2020
In reply to russellcampbell:

With the Borneos, they've changed the design of the toe box recently - my new pair have a little bit more volume at the toe.

compost 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

I had a pair of Borneos for 10 years. They were brilliant until the sole glue perished and both soles fell off on the same walk. That was a long and uncomfortable walk off Fleetwith Pike!

I replaced them with more of the same.

OP Trangia 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks all!

That's a resounding thumbs up for Borneos

Flinticus 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

> I've got a pair of Borneo (the non-Goretex, with memory foam, leather inner). I've had them 10 years now and wear them through winter. I rate them high on build quality and sole design. I treat them with Sno-seal beeswax and haven't had a leak. I don't find them just as comfortable as a pair of same age Brasher Hillmaster IIs I use, but they are slightly  lighter. The Meindls are slightly stiffer as well as narrower at the ankle (not the heel) and the memory foam makes them quite a snug fit. I have pointy ankle bones so occasionally get a bit of reddening though not to the point of blistering.  Was out on Saturday up Braeriach from the Sugar Bowl in pouring rain the whole day and feet were dry. I think beeswax treatment really helps prevent leather cracking -and it's compatible with Goretex and with Nikwax.

Pointy ankle bones...I've boney ankles too and find my left foot gets a hot spot after a couple hours walking, in Meindl Bhutans. I can get away with a 4-5 hr walk without needing to use a compeed but if the walk is going to be longer I'll put one on as a preventative. My right foot has no such trouble.

Co-incidentally I've also been looking at Borneos the last few days as I am interested in non-gore-tex lined boots. Seems I could expect the same reddening issue in Borneos

Basemetal 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

I suspect they have used the same last? IIRC two of the Bhutan, Burma, Borneo were the same boot with and without Goretex. The names are so similar I can't remember which two...

russellcampbell 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Wingnut:

> With the Borneos, they've changed the design of the toe box recently - my new pair have a little bit more volume at the toe.

Thanks. Must give them a try.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...