Mapping app for Iceland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OwenM 10 Oct 2022

I'm thinking of heading to Iceland next summer, I'm wondering what mapping app people use?

OP OwenM 10 Oct 2022
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks 

Babika 11 Oct 2022
In reply to OwenM:

Never mind the mapping app it's the weather forecasting that proves most problematic if you're heading into the glacier areas! All the mountain folk we spoke to said you can't really be assured of anything accurate until about 12 hours before. 

With 2 visits in the last 2 years trying to climb Hvannsdalshnukur I would agree. 

Message Removed 11 Oct 2022
Reason: commercial content
 Solaris 18 Oct 2022
In reply to OwenM:

It might also be worth looking at these two.

https://map.is/base/#

https://en.ja.is/kort/?x=500000&y=500000&type=aerial&nz=5.00

For navigation in Iceland, I find it's useful to have a belt and *two* pairs of braces.

Someone posted about weather forecasts. yr.no is probably the most accurate, we've found.

olddirtydoggy 18 Oct 2022
In reply to OwenM:

Mapy.cz has been very useful. We've just used it in Greece on Mt Olympus and found it excellent. Free too.

wbo2 19 Oct 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy: It is however projected for use in Southern Europe , and when you use it for Iceland (further north) it is stretched in an EW direction, so careful using it for nav or guesstimating disctance

If you zoom out from Iceland Greenland looks way bigger than it actually is

olddirtydoggy 20 Oct 2022
In reply to wbo2:

I had no idea that was the case. I wonder why they have done this? Thanks for posting.

wbo2 20 Oct 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:  You're dealing with the age old problem of projecting a sphere onto a flat piece of paper, or for a GPS, converting from a lat long derived from the sphere to a regular xy grid.  Somewhere along the line something is going to get stretched, or you're going to get holes in the map.

Different areas use different transformationsto do this, minimising distortion as best as they can. The OS grid is a good example - works very well for the UK, not so well elsewhere.  Generally NS movements and extent are bigger issues than EW - fundamentally a 1degree EW increment at the equator is a lot bigger than near the north pole , so there's a lot of stretching, and a lot of error/inaccuracy.

Czech republic to Iceland is smaller, but the same issue.  I cut images from Iceland from the two maps and overlay them - ratio NS to EW is not the same.

I also noticed a thread recently where someone was asking for Alpine maps to go into the OS app.  I don't know how that projects internally, and the latitude difference isn't so great, but 10m of error can start to mean something..

Post edited at 11:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...