Mam Tor today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ByEek 12 Feb 2023

What was going on at Mam Tor today? Rocked up to the car park at 8am and it and all road side verges were packed.

Was there an event or is this now the state of the countryside honeypots thanks to Instagram?

Schmiken 12 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

It was absolutely heaving yesterday, even in the wind we had. I think it's just because it's so accessible.

Clwyd Chris 12 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

No idea pal

OP ByEek 12 Feb 2023
In reply to Schmiken:

Oh dear. I sound like an old grumbly. It never used to be. Always popular but "that" popular. And the Castleton drag was heaving with RVs all camped up. 

greg_may_ 12 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

I ran over it at about 1200...was horrible. Very much avoided everyone on the LHS of the trail and still got looks of "how dare you pass me on this que" as I ran past.

Parking looked horrible cars all over both sides on the double yellows. I'd ran over from Hathersage so didn't have to deal with 'owt. 

OP ByEek 12 Feb 2023
In reply to greg_may_:

Yeah - my experience too although thankfully we couldn't park up so headed out to the layby at Stanage North and had a fabulous walk up past Dovestones Edge overlooking Ladybower. Had the place to ourselves.

Maybe in this world of Instagram selfies we are going to have to sacrifice the likes of Snowdon regular path or Mam Tor knowing that most of the rest is still peaceful and deserted.

Prof. Outdoors 12 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

Met my friends from Sheffield for a MTB ride around Hope. No parking in Hope itself but plenty by the railway station. Now costs £3 and people were driving away as not willing to pay. Castleton road certainly was full of RVs parked up and crawling through Castleton.

Two parking RV spaces equals 3 car spaces. Often use camp sites, I always use local cafe, will pay reasonable parking charges. Wonder how much input to local economy some give.

Post edited at 22:09
 girlymonkey 12 Feb 2023
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Is there still the train from Sheffield to Manchester which stops at all the stops in the Peak? It used to have half of every carriage dedicated to bikes and plastic covers on the seats? It was a great way of getting out without a car. We used it loads as students.

ChrisJD 13 Feb 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Is there still the train from Sheffield to Manchester which stops at all the stops in the Peak?

Yes there is.

But not often in Sundays at the moment (bus replacement in play) as there is a major new siding (for rail freight) being constructed between Hathersage & Bamford and they use Sundays to work on the line area.

LoolaSummer 15 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

i think its definitely from more people finding out about it! Been busy each time ive been over the past year or so 

OP ByEek 18 Feb 2023
In reply to LoolaSummer:

Fair enough. I guess we'll just have to scratch it down as a honeypot hell hole like the once beautiful but no longer, Thor's cave.

johncook 18 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

The parking wardens were having a field day at Mam Tor and Castleton issuing tickets to anyone not parked in a designated parking space. It is good that someone is making money from the chaos!

Mike_Gannon 19 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

Drove past last week and tonnes of cars parked over double yellows at the top.

Surprised the council haven't been up there to make a few quid and sort this behaviour out before the good weather starts. 

Brass Nipples 20 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

It’s a post pandemic thing.  More people discovered the outdoors but didn’t learn basic things like how to park, and go elsewhere if car parks full.

David Alcock 21 Feb 2023
In reply to ByEek:

How crowded was the gully? 

marktrik 03 Mar 2023
In reply to ByEek

I drive over rushop edge and down winnats pass znd back as my commute to and from work. The spring and summer months bring them out, back to back parked up on the top and bottom of the old mam tor road. 

Lucky living in the area I know the quiet and in my opinion, more picturesque places to walk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...