Mam Tor access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 29 Oct 2018

Can anyone tell me if Mam Tor summit is possible in a powered wheelchair?

There will be plenty of muscle on hand for pulling and pushing, but no lifting of said chair.

So we don’t want steps. 

(I’d be surprised if it’s feasible, but some google searches suggest Mam Tor is wheelchair accessible.)

If it’s a no, then does anyone know of any summit, anywhere, where we can do this?

robert-hutton 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Fredt:

Sorry but from mam nick has steps, pity as the width and gradient if the pathway might be ok for a wheelchair.

msjhes2 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Fredt:

No it has lots of steps from Mam Nick, you could potentially find a way if you looped around towards Hollins on the bridleway round the back of Mam Tor and then doubled back but it would be pretty tough as the path gets steep and stepped although the grass to the side is smooth (but steep).

If you are planning on parking in the national trust car park simple getting out of their with a wheel chair will be diffcult unless you take the road.

Mark

robert-hutton 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Fredt:

As an alternative, you could go up the pathway from the NT carpark to lords seat which has great views bit rough but should be ok to the first hillock.

marsbar 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Fredt:

I think perhaps they mean you can get a fair way up on the old road rather than the actual summit.  You can see where the road had to be closed without leaving the path if I remember correctly.  

marsbar 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Fredt:

Friars crag in the lake district  (view point but not an actual summit I think?)

Possibly Snowdon but I'm not certain if you can get to the summit.  

Post edited at 22:38
 Tom Last 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Fredt:

Not the summit, but you would get quite far up Sgurr a Chaorachain (Cioch Nose) to the mast. You’d get some amazing views anyway, out across to Skye.

Medleysdad 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Fredt:

Latrigg near Keswick is a Wainwright summit and definitely has a specific wheelchair route to the summit - from the top car park.  The only Wainwright with wheelchair access  

Blodwyn 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Fredt:

Moel Famau from Bwlch Penbarras!

Its a gravel path with some rough patches, about 1 1/2 miles with around 650ft of ascent.

Some great views across the Vale of Clywd to Snowdonia in the west also the Cheshire plain and Liverpool!

Take the A494 from Mold towards Ruthin and look for a side road to your right just after Loggerheads. It is sign posted Moel Famau, stay on this, pass the car park on your right until at the top of the hill you will see car parks to your right and left. From here the route is quite obvious.

AJH 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Fredt:

What about Great Dun Fell? It's got a road so should be possible?

mysterion 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Fredt:

Worcester Beacon in the Malverns is accessible using the wide and evenly graded path from the car park to the south, except maybe for the last few feet.

Pole bank has a similar but much shorter access from the road that runs across Long Mynd.

Post edited at 22:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...