Low Level Walks in the Lakes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Runtothehills 18 Dec 2019

Looking for some recommendations to do with my wife. I've taken her around Buttermere, which she really enjoyed so similar would be great, she doesn't like going high or to many ups and downs. A pub half way would be great. 

Thanks.

Post edited at 12:51
 GrahamD 18 Dec 2019
In reply to Runtothehills:

The path from Wordsworth museum along to the badger bar, across the road and along Loughrigg terrace back to Grasmere takes some beating IMO.   Don't forget to look in the caves at the start of Loughrigg terrace.

Simon Caldwell 18 Dec 2019

Take the boat from Pooley Bridge to Glenridding and walk back along the lake shore via Howtown. Can be lengthened or shortened by choosing different start/end points on the ferry

https://www.ullswater-steamers.co.uk/about-us/things-to-do/walks/

tmawer 18 Dec 2019

There's a nice walk around Brothers water with a pub to stop at. I park at the bridge at the Patterdale end and continue the walk round the lake, past Hartsop and then along the river and wood back to the car. Perhaps 3 miles but a lovely walk. 

felt 18 Dec 2019

Park near Stonethwaite in Borrowdale, walk SE with the river on your left until you get to a place marked Johnny House on the map, cross the river via the bridge, head back to Rosthwaite on the path, drink at the Scafell, then back to Stonethwaite. Flat all the way, a bit further than the Buttermere walk, and the pub's more than halfway round. Scenic and quiet.

In the same area, park just by the bend in the river on the small road that heads south off the main Rosthwaite-Seatoller road opposite the Mountain View cottages (£3), walk up to Seathwaite on the east side of the valley, and return along the quietish road (depending on the season) on the other side (or the way you came). Cafe at the farm, pub in Seatoller.

Jon Stewart 18 Dec 2019

A walk around the tilberthwaite area could include a look at hodge close quarry - a very impressive sight. Cathedral quarry is really cool as well. Include a pub stop at the 3 shires in little langdale? 

Neil Williams 18 Dec 2019

Ambleside to Grasmere, out one side of the lake, back t'other, is quite pleasant.  Or if you don't want to walk too far get the bus back.  Be sure to get some Grasmere Gingerbread when you get there!  (Though at last count the shop didn't open on a Sunday).

Post edited at 13:37
 Lankyman 18 Dec 2019

Brian and Aileen Evans's 'Short Walks in Lakeland' guides are excellent for this kind of thing. There are three of them and they're published by Cicerone. With a map you can chop and change accordingly.

A walk I'd recommend is from Elterwater down to Skelwith Force then up into Little Langdale via Colwith Force. You can return from there direct to Elterwater or extend out to Blea Tarn for THAT view of the Langdale Pikes. There are low level return options via Great or Little Langdale or go back over Lingmoor Fell a fantastic intermediate height viewpoint for the fells around Langdale.

And there's the Britannia at Elterwater or Wainwrights at Chapel Stile depending on your variation route.

Post edited at 14:00
 mountainbagger 18 Dec 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Take the boat from Pooley Bridge to Glenridding and walk back along the lake shore via Howtown. Can be lengthened or shortened by choosing different start/end points on the ferry

Did this with my kids earlier this year (just took boat to Howtown from Glenridding and walked back to Glenridding. About 6 miles. Think Wainwright was very complimentary about this walk (can't find the quote)!

OP Runtothehills 18 Dec 2019

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Forgot to mention we will be going in February, we went in March last year and a lot of the ferries weren't running, will have to go back in the tourist season I think, although I try to avoid it when on my own.

Simon Caldwell 18 Dec 2019

Ullswater ferries run all year

NathanP 18 Dec 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> A walk around the tilberthwaite area could include a look at hodge close quarry - a very impressive sight. Cathedral quarry is really cool as well. Include a pub stop at the 3 shires in little langdale? 

I'd second that. The level entrance to Cathedral Quarry takes some finding if you've not been there before but it has been the highlight of the walk for everyone I've taken there. Make sure you take a torch though. 

NathanP 18 Dec 2019

One of my favourites is to park at Skelwith Bridge and walk up the river to the Britannia Inn at Elterwater. A really nice waterfall; still pools in the river; woodland; the actual lake of Elterwater; stony banks along the shallow swift-flowing river section for skimming stones; great views and an excellent pub. Back the same way but the views are different and it seems easier down hill (and post-pub). 

The west banks of Windermere and Derwentwater are both really nice and accessible by launch but rather lacking in pubs.

marsbar 18 Dec 2019

https://www.keswick.org/what-to-do/walking-routes/short-walks-from-keswick

I don't think the railway path is open but the others are nice walks and Keswick has a few pubs to choose from.  

lone 19 Dec 2019

We've caught the bus a few times from Ambleside to Coniston and walked back to Ambleside on the Cumbria Way as far as Skelwith Bridge then follow the lane around to Skelwith Fold. It made for a nice easy day out, about 8.5 miles and 1200ft of ascent. There is a pub in Skelwith called The Talbot Bar, I've not been there before, but by the time you get there on foot, a keen appetite may well follow you both in through the front door !

Jason

OP Runtothehills 20 Dec 2019

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Without saying where we would be staying, (Hawkshead) it appears a few of the walks are close. 

Thanks all.

Stu.

J1234 20 Dec 2019

Try this http://www.crosthwaiteandlyth.co.uk/html/damsonwalks/damsonwalks9.php

I like it.

It gives some super views, you walk past Arthur Ransomes house, it is shortenable and it starts and ends at a pub.

Round Loweswater via Holme Force, visiting the Kirkstile Inn at the halfway mark.

jcm

colinakmc 20 Dec 2019

I bought a wee book of pub walks, I think this might be a reprint or a successor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pub-Walks-Cumbrias-Best-District/dp/1908632011/ref...

I haven’t used it a great deal (we tend to go north rather than south these days) but it offers a few nice easy walks with pub either at the end or half way. 

DaveHK 20 Dec 2019

Is it run to the hills or runt o the hills?

There are quite a few routes on here: https://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes.htm

OP Runtothehills 20 Dec 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

The former, but have been called the later by the wife when I've told her I'm going to the hills for a few days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...