Linear Walk Recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mischap 10 May 2019

Looking for recommendations  for any linear walks in  NW Wales or Lakes that will involve public transport back to starting point. Longer the distance the  better!!

Pedro50 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

The Cumbria Way is worthwhile.

subtle 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

Follow a train line for as far as you want and get the train back

Follow a bus lane for as far as you want and get the bus back

Good luck.

acrkirby 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

Is this one day only?

Hadrian's wall for a multi day choice, may have to start at Carlisle itself not the very start at Bowness but still 4 good days of walking there with a £7 return journey accross the country.

In reply to Mischap:

This sort of thing? https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=79

You could make it a multi-day walk by starting on the north coast (Conwy or wherever) and walking south to Barmouth. Train at each end.

Or even Snowdonia to the Gower, if we're really going long distance and you've got upwards of a week (fortnight?). Something along the lines of the Dragon's back race or John Gillham's classic book

OP Mischap 10 May 2019
In reply to acrkirby:

Should've added just for a day walk!!

Ramblin dave 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

Two obvious ones in the Lakes are Ambleside to Keswick via the Fairfield and Helvellyn ridges, and Keswick to Grasmere over some selection of the North Western fells.

In North Wales you could go from Bethesda to Capel by following either the Glyders or the Carnedds.

Ridge 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

> Looking for recommendations  for any linear walks in  NW Wales or Lakes that will involve public transport back to starting point. Longer the distance the  better!!

Just a suggestion, but I'd do public transport to start if possible, and walk the return leg. No issues with missing the last bus due to slow pace/nice pub en route.

Deri Jones 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

A bit off the beaten track, but the two Tarren's south of Cader Idris are a nice day walk based around catching the Talyllyn steam train back to the start - starting at Dolgoch station (large carpark), up past the waterfalls and over the top of Tarrenhendre then down and along to Tarren y Gesail and back down via the mines at Bryn Eglwys and the nice forest walk down to Abergynolwyn station. Tea and scones at the station and a steam train ride home. You can shorten/extend to suit and it's a good mix of walking with some nice views.

Moley 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

Leventons Line, Llangollen to Barmouth and take the bus direct between them. Great direct route, cross a few roads but no other tarmac, remote hills with no people, need some navigational skills. If you want to do a couple of days it is perfect for wild camping - no problems there.

I would go for Yiannis's route, slightly better finishing few miles but you can drop off the hills early if knackered.

http://www.gofar.org.uk/LeventonsLine.html

Or more info here (including my account http://www.highsports.co.uk/blog/leventons-line/

Go for this, you won't regret it.

Deadeye 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

Does public transport include police cars and air ambulances? How adventurous do you want?

Actually my one serious suggestion is doing the transport bit first and then walking back. Gives a real sense of goal focus, means you know the bus/whatever has shown up, and if you get 80% of the way, you're much nearer your car/camp than fretting about missing the weekly post bus at the fat end of your expedition

Mike Peacock 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

I'd suggest something using the Conwy Valley train line. Start at Dolwyddelan, go over Moel Siabod via the Daear Ddu ridge, then on over Carnedd y Cribau, Moel Meirch, Ysgafell Wen, Moel Druman, then down to the station in Ffestiniog. Or the same start and finish points, but go over Y Ro Wen and Moel Penamnen instead.

Or you could do something really long and ambitious, like Conwy to Betws y Coed over the edge of the Carneddau

Guy Hurst 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

Pooley Bridge to Windermere over High Street range, then bus back to start point over Kirkstone. You can get a bus from Penrith to Pooley Bridge, and a train to Penrith.

plyometrics 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

The Ambleside to Keswick section of the Cumbria way, as per Pedro50’s suggestion, would work well in a day I would have thought. 

Myfyr Tomos 10 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

Maentwrog/Trawsfynydd to Barmouth along the full length of the Rhinogydd for a well deserved pint in The Last Inn. Bus links early and late in the day may be problematic. Another option is the train from Barmouth to Llandecwyn.

Andy Mullett 11 May 2019
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Seconded... train from Llandecwyn to Barmouth and back over the tops of the Rhinogs... various shorter combinations available. Or park at Nanmor, Welsh Highland to Rhydd Ddu (not cheap) and follow PBR back over Hebog ridge back down to Aberdglaslyn, optional start over Nantlle ridge for a real day out.

Moley... Levantons Line... might have left that a little late!

John Gresty 11 May 2019
In reply to Moley:

Never heard of Leventons line. But attempted this as a bivouacing  three day walk in the early 1980's, an obvious route. Bailed out at Cross foxes as running out of time, down to Dolgellau, bus back to start. A good wild trip.

John

Moley 11 May 2019
In reply to John Gresty:

I believe Charlie Leventon instigated the route as a 2 day backpacking run/walk as training for mountain marathons. It's big plus is that one can easily bail off the tops down to main roads and public transport back to the start.

Unless it is the middle of the night!

rlocock 11 May 2019
In reply to Mischap:

The Taith Ardudwy Way (Barmouth to Llandecwn) is a good day walk. Train between both ends so start where you want. If you start at Barmouth you have the option of a bale out at Harlech.

http://www.mawddachestuary.co.uk/walks/taith-ardudwy.html

SouthernSteve 11 May 2019
In reply to rlocock:

https://www.gofar.org.uk/ has lots of long challenges.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...