Liathach, Meall Dearg, route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 20 Jun 2021

I am looking to tick off the Northern Top of Liathach, and am taking a nervous friend who also wants to do it.

I have seen a route in the new SMC Munro book that suggests descending a rocky gully east of Mullach an Rathain, crossing the screes, then up to the notch and onto the ridge, returning the same way. That means a shorter ascent from the road, over the summit.

I had originally thought I would just access the notch via Coire na Caime and Coireag Cham, which although a longer walk, seems to avoid any descending.

I was up there on Friday, and neither look particularly inviting, but I wondered if anyone could share any experiences of either route, or indeed any other option. I definitely don't want to rope him down the pinnacles.

Cheers

In reply to JohnnyW:

Done route three times. Once on my own and twice with friends. It's a bit loose but basically fine.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...

OP JohnnyW 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

Thanks for the link. Yes, everything I have been able to find has the walk in from the coire, rather than dropping down the gully, (which I can see in your pic).

In reply to JohnnyW:

> Thanks for the link. Yes, everything I have been able to find has the walk in from the coire, rather than dropping down the gully, (which I can see in your pic).

Looking back up to Mullach an Rathain from the notch below the Munro Top it looks very loose. Wouldn't fancy it.

In reply to JohnnyW:

I was there 2 weeks ago but decided against it because it looked loose and unpleasant. There was also some snow to cross below MaRathain.

I continued east over the Pinnacles and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...