Lawers munros

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AJK87 04 May 2021

Thinking of doing the 7 Lawers Munros.

I've only seen it described West to East.

I'd be planning on leaving a bike at one end of the road to get back to the car. For this reason I'd rather do the hills East to West so that my return bike ride would be all descent.

Just wondering if there is any drawback to this that anyone who has done the hills can think of.

Ie: drawbacks to difficulty or enjoyment.

Cheers

Dave Hewitt 04 May 2021
In reply to AJK87:

Doing it that way round would certainly be more sensible re the bike - plus you'd be doing the main steep bits on the hill (particularly the awkward An Stuc section) in ascent. Other options however are to do the big horseshoe of six (excluding Meall Greigh) from the Glen Lyon side, which is a great day out and a very natural circuit if done clockwise. Or utilising the hydro track along the southern slopes above Tombreck - that's very handy although isn't any use for your bike idea as it doesn't link right round to the high pass road.

Dunno if you've been on these Munros before but if not then splitting them into smaller groups might be an idea - there are lots of good options and some useful link/bypass paths. I never tire of them and have done all sorts of things - am on 50+ for each of Lawers/Ghlas/Corranaich and reasonable numbers for the rest including Tarmachan - if feeling keen you could include that too - if the high road wasn't there people would routinely link this with the rest, but it's rarely done.

Mike-W-99 04 May 2021
In reply to AJK87:

I’ve done this with the 5 before. No issues other than traffic on the cycle back.

Starting at Tom Breck is handy but seems to have grown in popularity.

Ive also done an alternative 5 as a loop from the nts car park which was a quiet alternative. Link up from Meall a’Choire Leith to An Stuc via its west ridge. Would need a tedious out and back though to make it 7 Meall Garbh & Meall Greigh)

Dave Hewitt 04 May 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Starting at Tom Breck is handy but seems to have grown in popularity.

That's interesting - I'm not sure how many times I've used the Tombreck track, but it'll be a dozen or so, maybe more, and I've not seen any increase in busyness over the years. I'm almost always the only car in the layby a wee bit to the east, and it's a rare day when I meet anyone on the track itself.

> Ive also done an alternative 5 as a loop from the nts car park which was a quiet alternative. Link up from Meall a’Choire Leith to An Stuc via its west ridge. Would need a tedious out and back though to make it 7 Meall Garbh & Meall Greigh)

Ghlas-Corranaich-Tarmachan is worth doing, and I'm fond of starting from the Boreland plantation and going up Meall Greigh then down the standard way from there to Lawers village and back along the road (only half an hour and rarely busy). I like that as a winter outing - Meall Greigh is a better hill than the tag-on status it has tended to acquire.

Mike-W-99 04 May 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Hi Dave, we visited last autumn and there are now polite signs asking you to park end on and not impede access which weren’t there before and kind of implies it’s growing popularity. 
There’s a big lay-by further east which we’ve also used.

So much variation in this range though.

Post edited at 11:39
 Dave Hewitt 04 May 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Hi Dave, we visited last autumn and there are now polite signs asking you to park end on and not impede access which weren’t there before and kind of implies it’s growing popularity. 

> There’s a big lay-by further east which we’ve also used.

> So much variation in this range though.

Ah yes - I used to park at the actual track end years ago but for ages now I've just used the layby you mention, which is almost always empty. There's a friendly local chap who walks his dog on the lower track - I've chatted with him a couple of times. Lots of scope for variation as you say - eg I've done weird things like alternating summits from the high road - Corranaich-Lawers-Garbh then back via An Stuc and Ghlas.

OP AJK87 04 May 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Thanks for all the replies, that's really helpful

Removed User 04 May 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Yes, I did the horse shoe from Glen Lyon a few years ago and would thoroughly recommend it.

girlymonkey 04 May 2021
In reply to AJK87:

It is the only direction I have done it in and I enjoyed it a lot. Having never done it the other way, I can't say if one is better than the other. They are super hills, I'm sure you will have fun whichever way you go 🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...