Langdale walking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Moring all,

Im camping at the NT site Langdale on 24th September and need to plan a walk for a few of us who are fit and can do a decent walk.

I have walked twice from that base, the Langdale Pikes was one and the second was Pike'o'Blisco over Crinkle Crags to Bowfell and back.

Im not one for repeating walks but I want to make it interesting for the others whilst treading new ground. Ive looked at the maps and I cant see something obvious as a route which takes in different tops so would someone with a better local knowledge advise on an interesting 6-8 walk from Langdale which doesn't take in the above.

Thanks

C Witter 04 Aug 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

It's a bit tricky if you write "the Langdale Pikes" because that potentially takes in all the fells on the north of the valley, whilst up Browney Gill and over the Crinkles to Bowfell takes in the westerly fells. So, I'd advise you look again at the map and work out which specific hills you've not been up that you're keen to go up, or else go camp in Wasdale, Eskdale, Buttermere or Borrowdale instead.

RobAJones 04 Aug 2021

In that sort of time its possible to get up Scafell Pike, probably up rosset Gill and back over esk pike and Bow fell, easy to cut it short by turning back early if needed. If the party were confident scrambling over crinkle crags another option would be to do the langdale okies again but link some of the easier scrambles Jacks Rake etc. rather than following the footpaths. 

Dark-Cloud 04 Aug 2021

As above, Scafell Pike is the obvious choice, plenty of route options, either that or you can go east and take in Sergeant Man and the Easdale area etc.

Thanks folks.

How does this fly, assuming that I cant avoid the previous two walks entirely?

Straight up the gill to tarn crag and walk around Pavey Arc without taking in the rake (I dont want to put people in a pickle if they arent confident) > Thurnacar Knott ><this is the point I havent previously walked> High Raise > Codale Head/Sergeant Man > Blea Rigg > Castle How peaks >Swinescar Pike > Lang How > Silver How > back to the pub.

I'm just using Hill-Bagging.co.uk to pick hills which I havent walked and what seems to offer something of an interesting ridge walk, probably around neglected peaks. How long will this take at average walking assuming a start about 10am? If there's value in it I'll plan it a little better.

plyometrics 04 Aug 2021

I’d argue that route is a bit ‘bland’ compared to RobAJones’ suggestion of Scafell Pike, which I think is spot on.

If you fancy something longer, but straightforward, then Gable and back isn’t a bad shout. 

Enjoy either way!

RobAJones 04 Aug 2021

Timewise it looks similar to your crinkle Crag bow fell route. Fell are quite dry at the moment which will be good for the section north of high raise. My thought,  a good option if the cloud level is about 6/700m any lower you will need to be on tha ball with navigation and I'd be tempted to miss out the bit north of high raise. 

Post edited at 10:12

Hmm, thanks for the thoughts.

Another one which looks interesting and completely new ground for us all would be:

Rossett Gill > Angle Tarm and over Tongue Head > Esk Hause up Esk Pike > Pike de Bield > Yeastyrigg Crags (not sure if you can get down at this point straight over the crags to double back to Ore Gap or go down the face of Esk Pike) > Rossett Pike > Buck Pike > Black Crags > Stake Pass/straight down > back to pub.

How does that sound in time and interest?

In reply to plyometrics:

Bland how?

> I’d argue that route is a bit ‘bland’ compared to RobAJones’ suggestion of Scafell Pike, which I think is spot on.

> If you fancy something longer, but straightforward, then Gable and back isn’t a bad shout. 

> Enjoy either way!

plyometrics 04 Aug 2021

Just think the fells you mention aren’t particularly exciting. Don’t get me wrong, still a great route, but think you’ll get more wow factor and better views going up SP. All very subjective of course! 

Lankyman 04 Aug 2021

Don't write off Lingmoor Fell. Particularly if the clag clamps down on the higher stuff (I know, unlikely in the Lakes!). You can come down to Little Langdale and visit the Cathedral cavern - take a torch if you want to go through the through tunnel that starts below the biggest rock face. Some nice waterfalls at Colwith and Skelwith too. Impressive after rain (I know, how likely in the Lakes?).

mysterion 04 Aug 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers

> Straight up the gill to tarn crag and walk around Pavey Arc without taking in the rake (I dont want to put people in a pickle if they arent confident) > Thurnacar Knott > High Raise > Codale Head/Sergeant Man > Blea Rigg > Castle How peaks >Swinescar Pike > Lang How > Silver How > back to the pub.

From memory around 4 hours heading down to Grasmere. It gets a bit scrappy after Sergeant Man, almost grassed over post-industrial, but I don't regret doing it.

Post edited at 20:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...