Lakes conditions away from Helvelyn/Scafell/etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 14 Mar 2019

I was thinking of heading to the Lakes at the weekend for a wander / overnight backpack. LD Weatherline is talking about full-on mountaineering conditions on Helvelyn, but fairly silent about conditions elsewhere. I'm happy in snow and with crampons, but don't want to go that high. Does anyone have a general impression of how things are at the moment? Maybe Borrowdale or Wasdale area? Are roads generally open?

John Kelly 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Roads are pretty good, bit of debris and some big puddles. Saturday, wet snow, wouldn't send a dog out.

OP Andy Johnson 14 Mar 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

Thanks!

> Saturday, wet snow, wouldn't send a dog out.

Thats what I suspected. But the next few weekends are spoken-for and I'm getting desperate to get out. Type two fun it might have to be...

mike123 15 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:  grisedale pike and hopeghyl head were plastered a couple of days ago but by last night the snow had all but gone , ( I don't do them, but "sad face") . Looking out the window as I type this I can see a reasonable panorama of the wetern fells . Not a dot of snow. Again . Sad face. As mentioned above ,  forecast for Saturday has climbing wall written all over it.  

Edit: as did last Sunday   But we went out anyway. So what do I know . 

Post edited at 06:35
 Route Adjuster 15 Mar 2019
In reply to mike123:

Why not head for one of the bothies, caves or howf's around the lakes, no need for a tent and probably a drier, less windy experience.

OP Andy Johnson 15 Mar 2019
In reply to mike123:

The weekend forecast seems to have firmed-up and "sad face" indeed. Looks like pretty-much continuous and widespread heavy rain for Saturday, better on Sunday. The climbing wall is suddenly looking like a much better option. Decisions, decisions...

Billhook 16 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Wet & Windy. Fronts coming through.  You don't need crampons just because there's a little bit of snow around.  Browse the map and go the places you'd not normally go too (that aren't high up).  Plenty to see in the Lakes without wandering up into the cloud/clag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...