Lakes - Wetherlam from Greenburn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dai Horribly 04 Oct 2021

Can anyone suggest the best way up to Birk Fell Hawse from the Greenburn track. Maps seem to show small paths but not sure if these exist on the ground. 

Lankyman 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Dai Horribly:

I've been up/down that way but so long ago I can't recall the fine details. Much more recently I've scrambled more directly to the top, starting from the reservoir. Quite an entertaining route on little outcrops that could be turned or avoided by easy options at will - grade 1/2? Got passed by a bloke who ventured into more serious situations than we were happy with.

a crap climber 05 Oct 2021

Head to the mine then go straight up the hillside, there is a path to follow. It's not great, quite steep, there's a section through some loose mine tailings higher up and it peters out near to the top. The top half of the path is shown on OS maps starting at the 310m contour and running parallel to a gill to just below Birk Fell Hawse. The bottom half is there though, you can see it on satellite view on Google maps. The tracks further west that zig zag are visible in satellite view too, but I haven't used these (not that I can remember anyway) so can't comment on the condition.

OP Dai Horribly 05 Oct 2021

thanks both. 

The Fox 05 Oct 2021

https://www.stridingedge.net/walks/27731/

route incorporates the reverse of what you’re asking, but might help?

OP Dai Horribly 05 Oct 2021
In reply to The Fox:

thanks for this. 

Bulls Crack 07 Oct 2021

Aerial photo layer on OS show distinct paths up to the old levels - only 100m on to the Hawse from there

HardenClimber 08 Oct 2021

There is a nice description of the scramble in Stephen Goodwin's Climbs an Scrambles book - 14: Greenburn Circuit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...