Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 17 Apr 2021

Evening

What have the Lakes been like post lifting of the restrictions? Mayhem or ok ?

I fancy a midweek trip either wild camping overnight or Great Langdale site, or, Brotherswater.

Any updates gratefully received.

Thanks Dave

plyometrics 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Not as bad as you would expect, certainly not ‘mayhem’, but it’s definitely gathering momentum. 

You do right heading up in the week though, and the sooner you do it the better; summer’s going to be an absolute f*cking gong show up here. 

Timmd 17 Apr 2021
In reply to plyometrics: I bet it'll be like an explosion following lockdown last year, and uncertainty about holidaying overseas still.

Edit: I have to remind myself to not be unsocial when I'm looking for solitude in the Peak, but I don't envy any Lake District residents if it is extra hectic this year.

Post edited at 21:04
 plyometrics 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Yup, many are holding their breath up here.

That said, local businesses are, rightly, looking forward to it and it’s great to see people getting back into the outdoors; if only everyone did it respectfully, took their litter home and left no trace...

OP Dave the Rave 17 Apr 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

Thanks plyo.

I empathise with the locals there.

My wildcamping plan would be park at Haweswater and camp at small water late on or the tarn up above it. I don’t want to add to any log jam down the lanes from Shap to Brampton to be honest and would avoid if it was bad.

If you stay in campsites such as those I listed, have you got to book a table to go to the ODG or Brotherswater Inn?

cheers

Wainers44 17 Apr 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

> Not as bad as you would expect, certainly not ‘mayhem’, but it’s definitely gathering momentum. 

> You do right heading up in the week though, and the sooner you do it the better; summer’s going to be an absolute f*cking gong show up here. 

Maybe, you could be right but I suspect my neck of the woods will be worse (Devon) and Cornwall maybe worse still. 

I have been skulking around in the Lakes since Monday, working, but out in the evenings. 

Monday night, ran old coach Road from East,  up onto the Dodd, saw no-one.

Tuesday ran Caldbeck mine road and then up to High Pike and back, saw no-one. 

Wednesday strolled slowly up Great Mell Fell soaking up a fantastic view. Saw 5.

Thursday not working.  Hen Comb, Melbreak, saw about 6 or 7. Buttermere for coffee,  not busy.

Friday walked coach Rd to Threlkeld.  End of repaired cycleway busy, Threlkeld not too busy. 

Today,  Brae Fell and Longlands,  Brae busier than expected.  Quiet second time up as I ran back up it to find Mrs Wainers glasses. Keswick afterwards not that busy. 

Neil Williams 17 Apr 2021

NT sites aren't back open yet, are they?

Timmd 17 Apr 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

I guess the thing to remember is most people do take their litter home and leave no trace. I'm half pondering spending a day with the right gear and doing a dog poo bag litter pick along some of my regular routes. It's not very inviting (to understate like I do), but I'd be a part of the solution at least. 

Post edited at 21:45
 Jon Stewart 17 Apr 2021

It's been fine so far. I've been out on the fells in the evenings, done a bit of bouldering in Borrowdale, and had a nice time with no crowds, in beautiful cool sunny weather. And a bit of snow and hail.

I was in the Peak during the week and that was fine too, there were parking spots free and everything. The chaos and carnage I was anticipating is yet to happen.

John Kelly 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

> NT sites aren't back open yet, are they?

17th May

plyometrics 18 Apr 2021

Not sure about table booking I’m afraid, but your plan sounds good. Suspect it’ll be relatively quiet down there for you. 

Either way, have a cracking time!

plyometrics 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Agree, suspect most people are eminently respectful.

Although, the disposable BBQ I had to carry down from Helvellyn summit a couple of weeks ago and the subsequent 2 shopping bags of litter I cleared from Wythburn car park when I got back down makes me question that assertion!

felt 18 Apr 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

>  2 shopping bags of litter I cleared from Wythburn car park when I got back down makes me question that assertion

Yes! https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/19195795.outrage-illegal-campers-leave-a...

There's a marked increase in roadside litter, the usual stuff, Red Bull, Costa, in the last fortnight, e.g. B5284 Kendal to Bowness and A591 along Thirlmere.

UKH Forums 18 Apr 2021
This thread was started in the THE PUB forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
OP Dave the Rave 18 Apr 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

> Not sure about table booking I’m afraid, but your plan sounds good. Suspect it’ll be relatively quiet down there for you. 

> Either way, have a cracking time!

Thanks plyo

Ridge 18 Apr 2021

Quite a lot of tents pitched up around Ennerdale on Friday. There were a few problems last time round with them burning stuff and just abandoning all the rubbish for someone else to deal with. Time will tell.

Timmd 18 Apr 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

> Agree, suspect most people are eminently respectful.

> Although, the disposable BBQ I had to carry down from Helvellyn summit a couple of weeks ago and the subsequent 2 shopping bags of litter I cleared from Wythburn car park when I got back down makes me question that assertion!

I think more people accessing the outdoors might be behind more of that kind of thing, there was a rise in litter and people being inconsiderate when lockdown first started. 

Kalna_kaza 18 Apr 2021

Very busy parking wise in Grasmere yesterday with all laybys and verge parking full a considerable distance north of the village near the Travellers Rest pub. Similar scenes at Wythburn car park and layby, comparable to a bank holiday weekend.

Keswick was busy today, plenty of people drinking outside and getting ice creams. Hill wise it's not been too bad. Most locals going for the less frequented spots. It'll soon be time to avoid the likes of Buttermere, Langdale and Keswick unless it's evening.

Dark-Cloud 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> Very busy parking wise in Grasmere yesterday with all laybys and verge parking full a considerable distance north of the village near the Travellers Rest pub. Similar scenes at Wythburn car park and layby, comparable to a bank holiday weekend.

Saw all that from the fell on Saturday, all illegally parked by the looks of it as it’s double whites a fair way before the pub, parking enforcement would have made a fortune, we were in the lay-by just north of the roundabout but were there for 8.30, came back to see some bellend in a 4x4 had just decided to park on the verge mowing all the wild flowers down in the process.

profitofdoom 18 Apr 2021

> What have the Lakes been like post lifting of the restrictions? Mayhem or ok ?

Not lifted yet - with indoor dining, hotels, and B & Bs all closed

I expect July and August will be really busy, even busier than usual for the Lakes - which is saying something

coldfell 18 Apr 2021

Now is the time for considerate campers/climbers - we have just had a super 5 days in south Lakes (we live in North lakes) it was quiet, some camp sites are open with controlled access to facilities - we found an idyllic farm campsite with just 3 bookings, each with their own toilet/shower. We were biking and climbing and the only busy spots were the obvious honey pots otherwise blissfully peaceful.

Enjoy your stay, it is easy to escape the crowds in Cumbria and also easy to enjoy the buzz of a busy place like Keswick, with quality busking this weekend!

Wainers44 18 Apr 2021

Looked down onto Brotherwater Site today from Brock Crags and it looked pretty quiet.  In fact all the campsites we have seen over the past few days have seemed quiet. 

olddirtydoggy 18 Apr 2021

Literally just got back after 3 days on climbing and scrambling. It was pretty busy but as far as I could see the visitors were really well behaved. Pubs are operating very safely, food ran out at one pub in Eskdale for an evening but on the whole, the mood between strangers is VERY friendly as everybody is just glad to be back out. Saw a lot of campers out but the behaviour so far was excellent, no rubbish at Wastwater.

There's a really good buzz up there from visitors to local businesses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...