Lake district hill for 3-year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stuartf 17 Nov 2018

We've got a family holiday in the Lakes in a couple of weeks time (staying in Keswick) and I'm looking for a suitable hill objective for our 3-year old. Last summer we tried Catsbells and he made it up as far as the first "summit" himself, so something of that sort of size would be good. Ideally something that looks like a "big pointy mountain" (he could see Catsbells from the window of the house we were staying in and decided himself that he wanted to climb it), where you can see the summit from where you start to give the motivation of "we're going up that one". Any suggestions?

In reply to stuartf:

Great Mell Fell, perhaps?

T.

In reply to stuartf:

I also thought of Helm Crag as it fits the criteria you're after, but the bash up might be a bit steep for such a nipper (and his Dad who might end up carrying him).  Nevertheless, have a think about it.

T.

Andy Hardy 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Rannerdale Knotts between Buttermere and Crummock Water. then ice creams at the farm, obviously.

Mike Peacock 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Over the years I've done a lot of holidays with my siblings and their children. Each holiday we do a hill, and the target gets more ambitious as the children get older. Some of the early ones we did were:

High Rigg. Climb it from the church at the N end. A nice bumpy and wild top.

Castle Crag. Great views, big cliffs. Fits the bill of a proper mini mountain.

Binsey. Nice top, but definitely not a 'pointy mountain'.

Either of the Mell Fells.

Ling and/or Sale Fells. Again, not pointy but quite wild and quiet.

Arnison Crag. A bit rocky, and great views down Ullswater.

Monk 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

A bit smaller than some of the other suggestions, but Hallin Fell above ullswater is a good mini mountain. 

Jack 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Barrow from braithwaite via barrow door and down the ridge. Drive up to top of newlands pass and a short steepish walk up knott rigg. 

alan moore 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Have had great times doing this sort of thing with my troddlers: Best were,

Loughrigg from the Loughrigg tarn road

Latrigg above Keswick

Catbells from Littletown

Castle Crag across the stepping stones from Rosthwaite

Side Pike in Langdale

Latterbarrow by Windemere.

Lots of carrying was involved on the steep bits mind...

Have fun.

In reply to Monk:

Hallin Fell is a great one with small children, tremendous views, and it has a superb cairn on the summit.

Removed User 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Did Haystacks with my 3 year old son. Went clockwise from Gatesgarth Farm. Easy start up to the pass and then fun rocky ledges to scamper up. There even was an ice cream van at the end.

Don't forget to pay your respects to AW as you pass Innomate Tarn. 

OP stuartf 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Amazing, thanks for all the ideas!

abr1966 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Gummers How is a great walk with little kids....took all of mine up there as nippers....a great view from the top looking down to the lake....enough interest for little kids aswell.

Bit south though if you are in Keswick but combined with a boat trip on windermere its a fine day out!

In reply to stuartf:

Binsey all the way and gives a fantastic view of Skiddaw.  I did the same with my 3 year old and it was great fun.

That walk was also made memorable because it was the one and only time I have seen a red squirrel in my soon to be 43 years of existence.

wercat 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Tarns make a good hillwalking objective as, unlike a summit, there are shores and shores of stones to throw in to water!

Easedale Tarn, Alcock Tarn are good and fun objectives from Gorsemere.  The trouble is that it's hard to get them away from the Tarn afterwards!

Ours loved Helm Crag ("the Lion and the Lamb") above Gorsemere as well, time after time, with an interesting roped scramble to the top, with helmet.

In reply to stuartf:

Castle Crag would be my suggestion for something nearby, but if you fancy a drive over to Broughton Mills - 1hr,15m according to Google, then you could do the other Stickle Pike. Most of the ascent is by road but the half hour walk from the top of the pass brings you out to the most perfect, pointiest mini summit in the Lake District. Great views in all directions, as far as the Isle of Man on a clear day. And little bits of easy scrambling as an option too. 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&...

Max factor 17 Nov 2018
In reply to Monk:

Yes, Hallin Fell came immediately to mind. Challenging but achievable for a 3 yo.

DerwentDiluted 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Barf? Maybe wait a few years so you can make crude noises all the way up.

Ratfeeder 17 Nov 2018
In reply to wercat:

>Easedale Tarn, Alcock Tarn are good and fun objectives from Gorsemere... Ours loved Helm Crag ("the Lion and the Lamb") above Gorsemere as well...

Where's Gorsemere? Is it anywhere near Grasmere by any chance?

Tony Jones 17 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

I'm not entirely sure that the summit is viewable from the start but Knott Rigg from Newlands Hause might be a candidate. It's an easy drive from Keswick and there's the option of continuing along to Ard Crags if the little legs are up for it.

J1234 18 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

> Any suggestions?

Yes, Orrest Head.
Then Blackpool Zoo and Wacky Warehouse. 3 year olds do not want to walk up hills and look at views.

deacondeacon 18 Nov 2018
In reply to J1234:

I don't really like hillwalking, i find it a bit boring to be honest but my little-un loves it! Also now that she's discovered geo-caching she wants to go for a walk all the time. She still says her best holiday ever was wild camping in the lakes.

dont know if a walk up Hallin Fell would compete with a wacky warehouse but it wouldn't be far off.

Calvi 18 Nov 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Barf? Maybe wait a few years so you can make crude noises all the way up.

I still do that when I wander up Barf, loads of fun for all ages.

J1234 18 Nov 2018
In reply to deacondeacon:

Look at the only photo in my gallery, that was wild camping with my daughter at 12, I think. Special times. Enjoy

I do miss Wacky Warehouse.

JCurrie 18 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

We did Castle Crag when our youngest was a similar age. Fits the bill well and isn’t far to drive.

You could take him to the bowderstone the same day.

Wimlands 18 Nov 2018
In reply to Stuart:

Castle Crag ..... but get the launch from Keswick to make it more exciting for a 3 year old...

wercat 18 Nov 2018
 benp1 18 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

I took my kids up Loughrigg Fell last year and they really enjoyed it, they were 5 and 6.   I reckon smaller children would be fine with it too

Root1 18 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Binsey!

Monk 18 Nov 2018
In reply to J1234:

> Yes, Orrest Head.

> Then Blackpool Zoo and Wacky Warehouse. 3 year olds do not want to walk up hills and look at views.

Depends on the hill. My kids have always loved being outdoors, but it's not the view that motivates them. It's the streams to cross, rocks to scramble on, snow to stomp in, bridges to cross, frogspawn in ditches, sticks to wave and stones to throw in tarns. Choose the right walk and everyone is happy. 

OP stuartf 01 Dec 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Thanks for all the suggestions, we had a great time on Hallin Fell last week.

Didn't make it to wacky warehouse, but the hard play area at the king Kong climbing wall in Keswick was also very popular!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...