Lake District - travelling by motorbike & walking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello, as anyone got experience of using a motorbike to get to the lakes, parking up in the NT car parks and going for a walk? How do you secure the bike? Do you just use disc locks?

John R 17 Mar 2019
In reply to Kevin (north east & spain):   I live on the west of the Lakes and regularly use my (motor)bike for going out to crags, walks etc. Often don't lock it up at all, sometimes use a chain to secure bike and helmet. Have never had a problem in 25+ years, but couldn't guarantee you'll be as lucky. My only experience of theft was in Darlington, where my one year old GSXR 1000 was stolen while I was enduring possibly the worst football match I've ever stood through ( Darlington v Carlisle United). With the bike you usually have the option of avoiding car parks (especially secluded ones) and leaving it where the low-life would think twice about pinching it. It's a great way of enjoying the Lakes; go for it and have some fun!

In reply to John R:

Thanks John, really appreciate reply. guess i'll give it a go and hope for the best.

In reply to John R:

Ditto - except that I've never owned a GSXR 1000, much less had one pinched. My BM has expandable panniers so I can get helmet, boots, jacket and trousers in them when I go off to the crag, which means there's no need for a chain, and I've never used one in the Lakes.

veteye 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Kevin (north east & spain):

The problem in later months may be riding away at slow speed due to other traffic on small lanes, when you may have fun getting rid of the midges. I certainly had an accident on rough ground trying to get away from the midges, after climbing on Rannoch Wall.(I forgot that I had the lock on the wheel.)

Smythson 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Kevin (north east & spain):

Bike theft is largely a few blokes in a van picking it up, locks and all, and throwing it in the back. Not quite gone in 60s but not far off. London does have the moped gangs but little reported elsewhere in the country. I've toured around the UK using pelicase panniers with cable locks around them. Helmet locked onto bike with another cable lock. Never had any problems just a few friendly folk wondering about life touring on the bike. 

All that said I ride an old man's bike now. I'd perhaps be hesitant if I still had the R6 but that wasn't the best bike for touring! 

In reply to veteye:

Classic!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...