La Gomera Walking guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Clarke 30 May 2018

Thinking of a walking holiday on La Gomera. Any suggestions for the best guidebook? 

Trangia 30 May 2018
In reply to Paul Clarke:

We used the Cicerone guide book when we did it about 5 years ago - there may have been a re-print?

Used the Kompass 1:30,000 map. Needs reading with a bit of caution and imagination! Shows tracks which aren't always there, or nothing on the map where there is a very obvious one on the ground!! Nothing like the standard of our OS, but that adds to the fun

The sign posting then was not very good, but I've heard it may have improved.

Enjoy, it's a lovely island. The forest in the middle can be damp, and we found it surprisingly cold on the summit of Garajonay, not helped by a strong wind and our clothes being wet. When the sun was shining it got very hot. Lots of hills, and very lush vegetation, with some arid Barancos

Post edited at 09:33
OP Paul Clarke 30 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Cheers. The Cicerone guide was published in 2010 and their website indicated a reprint in 2016. Unfortunately doesnt say if the book was revised at that time.

kipper12 30 May 2018
In reply to Paul Clarke:

If you fancy a change from walking, we had a half day whale/dolphin watching trip.  Two pods of pilot whales and a pod of Atlantic spotted dolphin.  To round it off we moored in a quiet cove for a swim and a huge tuna salad.  While there I saw my first Ospreys, nesting above.

I cant recall the operator, but the moneyy made goes into conservation/research.  Very knowledgeable and well run outfit.

Welsh Kate 30 May 2018
In reply to Paul Clarke:

The Cicerone guide is by Paddy Dillon. Paddy's usually pretty good at responding to emails (unless he's in the middle of nowhere researching a new guide book!) - you could drop him an email and ask about the extent of revisions.

http://www.paddydillon.co.uk/

OP Paul Clarke 30 May 2018

Thanks for the info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...