Knock Fell to Meldon hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tonker 03 Jul 2021

Does anyone know what is the terrain like? Is it any sort of bog fest?

Thanks

In reply to Tonker:

The watershed south of Knock Fell is a real bog fest, so if you don't get a specific reply from someone who actually knows then I'd bet on Knock Fell - Meldon Hill being similarly, erm, challenging.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=256

wercat 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Tonker:

a lot of people get caught out in the terrain of the N Pennines - it can be quite arduous (but very worthwhile) - it is in some ways comparable to walking in Scotland - distances, particularly off path, can seem greater in time and effort than the map distance would suggest in relation to the same map distance in other terrain.  This area has a reputation for people getting lost and keep an eye on the weather as the Helm wind is no joke.

Don't let this put you off though!  these are just considerations.

OP Tonker 03 Jul 2021
In reply to wercat:

I won't be going unless it is clear. I've been up Cross Fell a few times but have decided to tick off all the hills in England over 2500ft and these two I haven't been up. Want to combine them in a day.

In light of Dan's reply I think I'll wait for a long dry spell. 

biggianthead 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Tonker:

Or when it's frozen

Lankyman 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Tonker:

> Does anyone know what is the terrain like? Is it any sort of bog fest?

> Thanks

I did this route a few years ago and posted some photos on Geograph. It was fine in good weather. No real bogs and most of it easy going and nav as you can see Meldon virtually the whole way. A few groughs but nothing killer. It was a lovely, sunny day and dry when I was there. Came back to Dufton via High Cup. One thing that sticks in my mind was finding some goslings drowned in a tiny, sheer-sided pool. We reckoned the parents had taken them there and they'd been unable to get out again. I built a stone ramp to provide something for future goslings to use. If you pass by it'd be interesting to know if it's still intact.

Quite a lot of the highest fells around there are surprisingly easy going once you're on their uppermost parts. Cross and Mickle Fells are nice, smooth turf on top and Knock and Meldon are similar.

Post edited at 15:39
 wercat 04 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Hike up t'nick has to be seen to be believed really.  I saw it from the Mickle Fell side on a school camp in the 1970s and my jaw dropped.  Even after walking up through the ranges with all those old churchills and comets lying around as targets and lots of dangerous looking ordnance it was amazing.

come to think of it that would have been my very first fellwalk!  (apart from adventures around Stanhope/Crawleyside in the school holidays)

Post edited at 10:12
OP Tonker 04 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks, thats useful. 

Guy Hurst 04 Jul 2021
In reply to Tonker:

I'd put the high ground between Knock Fell and Meldon Hill at just 3 out of 5 on the Pennine bog scale; you can avoid knee-deep bogs with only minor detours. The approach to Tom Smith's Stone top from Hartside would be about 4 out of 5, and the alleged path from Slaggyford over to Croglin is the full 5 out of 5; knee deep bog can't be avoided, and some of it turns out to be thigh deep. Wonderful country.

wintertree 04 Jul 2021
In reply to Guy Hurst:

One lives for the moment you climb up a peat hag to look for some hope, and all the eye can see is an irregular pattern of hags sticking out of the bog.

Some of the worst seems to be along the upper part of the Wear/Tees watershed.  I can’t believe this is a natural or good state for the land.

nickcanute 05 Jul 2021
In reply to Tonker:

I dont see why you would link these 2 except to bag them in as few trips as possible or you have got sucked into following the Nuttall guides. A long way there and back. Much better doing Knock Fell in a circuit with smaller hills on the west and Meldon Hill from the reservoir to east in dry conditions.. you can reduce amount of bog and heather crossed by following a gill from SE (sorry dont remember name) and from summit descend N to an interesting ravine and ford the Tees, option to also climb the Hewitt NW of the reservoir (again sorry dont remember its name). Agree with comment above - that it's not the  worst bog, i am just suggesting after a dry spell so you can definitely ford the Tees

Post edited at 23:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...