Keswick MR posts in facebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cander 28 Jun 2018

Just an observation over the last couple of days Keswick MR have been very busy with lots of incidents (good reports on Facebook - worth following them if you already don’t), mostly elderly people (to be expected I suppose since they have more leisure time midweek) slips, trips and hot weather - as we get older it’s often difficult to realise we are much less robust than when we were younger, and whether we should adjust our activities accordingly. I’d be interested to hear from the over 50’s on here if you have noticed not just aches and pains as we all get them, but becoming more prone to injury.

subtle 28 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

I think all the over 50's are out enjoying the sun at present.

Removed User 28 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

> I think all the over 50's are out enjoying the sun at present.

Aye,  livin' the dream in my late 50s. Sooooo glad I maxed my pension out back in the day.

Ridge 28 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

> I think all the over 50's are out enjoying the sun at present.

I bloody wish...

Although I resent being apparently elderly at 52 I'm certainly conscious of knee problems and (not) facing up to the fact it's probably going to be a process of physical decline from this point on.

OP cander 28 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

Strange that. It’s what I’ve been doing today as well  

OP cander 28 Jun 2018
In reply to Ridge:

52. ... nearly dead if you ask my daughter.

Ridge 28 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

> 52. ... nearly dead if you ask my daughter.

She's probably not far wrong...

OP cander 28 Jun 2018
In reply to Ridge:

Be the first time

Trangia 29 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

There was a recent thread on this subject started by someone called Roger Wilco. I'm nearly 75 and I've definitely noticed that my legs don't have the old spring and shock absorption in them that they used to, and my eye sight is not as sharp either, even with glasses. I used to bound down hills jumping from rock to rock with ease. Going downhill is definitely the worst and I am slow now, anxiously peering ahead  trying to assess  each foot placement. Walking poles help but they are a bind to carry when scrambling.

I also get tired after a long day in the hills, and if I do several in a row it becomes really knackering. But build in more rest days and the old body quickly recovers.

I've only noticed this over the last 2 or 3 years, so in my 50s and 60s it was no problem.

I also mentioned an increasing difficulty in hearing people coming down faster from behind and overtaking, particularly mountain bikers, so please please use your bell well back when coming up behind someone, and if they don't react slow right down. Shouting isn't always enough, a bell is much easier to hear, and if they haven't heard you  don't startle them. The same applies to Fell Runners, if the person you are overtaking doesn't react to a well back shout, slow right down and overtake with care - if possible go a bit off piste

The New NickB 29 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

An aquantance of mine is attempting the Bob Graham Round this weekend, he has a very good chance of succeeding. If he does it, at 71 he will be the oldest to complete by several years. 

I’m a very young 43, but I have got to admit to feeling like I’m falling to pieces at the moment.

Tom the tall 29 Jun 2018
In reply to cander: Not sure on the impact of age, but the paths are incredibly dusty just now, like marbles, and folk seem to get caught out more than when there is a bit of damp holding it all together. Makes for a different kind of slipping fall, perhaps.

Removed User 29 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

At 66 I feel qualified to comment about the age aspect of this thread.

I've had a couple of sessions with a chiropractor because I seemed to lack both agility and confidence when descending. When I first consulted him I told him that I assumed it was down to age. He quite emphatically said that was not the case. He maintains that a lot of so called problems that we dismiss as an age thing are actually a result of something that happened many years ago.

I've had two sessions with him and I've also got into the habit of doing my boots up more securely(obviously not to the extent of cutting off the blood flow) I have to say that there is some improvement.

Trangia 29 Jun 2018
In reply to Tom the tall:

> Not sure on the impact of age, but the paths are incredibly dusty just now, like marbles, and folk seem to get caught out more than when there is a bit of damp holding it all together. Makes for a different kind of slipping fall, perhaps.

Too true. Granite is one of the worst rock types for producing "marbles" on paths.

OP cander 29 Jun 2018
In reply to Removed UserMrs. Num Num:

That’s interesting, I suppose as you get older there’s more chance of you having done something many years ago but I do get your point it’s previous injuries rather than age related degeneration.

Fifty five next week.  Eased off the mountain biking a few years back as my knees were getting painful - getting moving after the car journey back from The Peak was probably funny to watch as I struggled to haul myself up from the seat.

Started a bit of fell running and entered the Fairfield Horseshoe this year but something blew in my left calf at the beginning of March just as I was feeling strong.  Never made the start line.  Running and getting fitter again over the last few months but now I have a left Achilles problem so back to the road bike.

Looking forward to some sea kayaking in the future ????

Ridge 30 Jun 2018
In reply to Ghastlyrabbitfat:

Are you me? I get all the same problems at 52.

Gone for good 30 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

I'm 54 tomorrow and currently enjoying the delights of the Lake District with my partner. Heading up the Kirkstone pass on the bike this afternoon and a longer hillier ride planned tomorrow.  I'm fitter than I have been since I was 25 and have dropped 15kg in weight since the start of the year. I'm doing Parkrun in under 21 minutes with hopes of sub 20 before the Autumn and getting close to 45 minute 10ks. I know these aren't outstanding times but they are outstanding for me. I can only hope I stay injury free. By the way, my ex wife's Granny ran the London Marathon when she was 91. Ok, she probably didn't run much of it but still. I'm hoping for another 25 years of climbing and mountaineering.

Removed User 30 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

A good friend of mine had cancer about six or seven years ago, at the age of 65. Fortunately he appears to have recovered well and still shows no signs of letting up on the hill walking. He maintains he's a bit slower nowadays but he still seems to keep going all day - and with a 15 Kg  rucksack

Martin Bennett 30 Jun 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Amen to all that. I really find it hard to understand how people still think of over 50s as elderly and therefore infirm. I did my best rock climbing when I was in my mid 50s - OK that amounted only to E2 5c but the point is it's relative to previous achievements.

Luckily my knees have survived a walking and climbing life beginning when I was about 12 (now 73) so I can still trip downhill quite lightfootedly (not so lightfooted uphill with a sack) but like you I notice a lack of 'bounce' in knees and hips. It's arthritis in my shoulders that seems to have done for my climbing ambitions - still theoretically strong enough but the anticipation of painful twinges anywhere from my scapulae to my biceps tends to have an effect on one's determination. I've recently admitted to myself it's time for the easier routes I've been saving for my old age - V Diff to Mild VS anyone?

Alan Breck 30 Jun 2018
In reply to cander:

I used to run marathons in 2.40 when I was over forty. That's now a very distant memory!. Had to give up running including mountain marathons when the injuries kept piling up. For various reasons the breathing has also gone pretty much AWOL.

Mountain biking has however proceeded well and apart from very long hard days the knees don't complain too much. Hillwalking also still OK but my better half now beats me up but not down.  I've used poles for yonks but still find them a boon.

I'm hopeful that the current Husky will assist on the uphill but somehow think that biking with her might be pretty suicidal. As to running with her I think not. When I could run at over ten miles an hour I found that our previous Huskies were just gently trotting at that pace. It's all relative anyway and it's what you enjoy at whatever pace......just don't overdo it especially in this heat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...