Kendal to Lancaster - route suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Run_Ross_Run 29 Aug 2018

Hi. 

Joining my brother on his charity walk Saturday (Edinburgh to Hereford) and I'm doing Kendal to Lancaster with him. 

Have sussed the route from Carnforth to Lancaster (national cycle route 6) and worked out a route between there and Kendal picking up a canal side path just north of Crooklands. Not sure what real world conditions of the path will be like though for the non cycle route section. 

Any locals got any advice please? 

Trying to avoid busy A roads if at all possible.

Many thanks. 

Darren 

plyometrics 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Whilst I live in kendal I’m not sure what how good quality of the old canal path is. However, this might help out tremendously if you’ve not spotted it. 

http://www.lancasterramblers.org.uk/Kendal-Lancaster%20canal%20walk.pdf

Good luck and have a cracking day. 

Jim Lancs 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

You're right, the canal tow path is tarmac from Carnforth to just south of Lancaster, but elsewhere it will be grassy. But generally it's not too muddy and we're about to have some dry weather from now to the weekend which should firm it up.

Obviously you can follow the route of the towpath all the way from Kendal to Preston, but you need to have an OS map with you. There's quite a few places where a quiet lane will short cut where the canal meanders and there is also a crossing of the A590 and the M6 near Farleton where you need to use an adjacent road bridge to make the crossing.

If you've got any other specific questions, I'll be back this evening.

OP Run_Ross_Run 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Awesome. I'll pm you if OK with a few questions. 

Thanks 

Darren 

OP Run_Ross_Run 29 Aug 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

Nice one. Thanks 

UKC Forums 29 Aug 2018
This thread was started in the DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...