Inversion in the Lakes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 16 Dec 2021

Is anyone walking in the Lakes today? Any sign of an inversion?

Nigel Coe 16 Dec 2021
OP Phil1919 16 Dec 2021
In reply to Nigel Coe:

Great, thanks!

OP Phil1919 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Si Withington:

Don't tell everyone.......

Lankyman 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Si Withington:

Drat! I just went for a plod round the grey, muddy fields back of Lancaster. Green with envy and kicking myself.

Dan Arkle 17 Dec 2021

In reply to: All

Inversion is forecast for the Peak District too tomorrow 👍

OP Phil1919 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Blackpool Tower worth a try?

felt 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Yeah, I woke up yesterday in Kendal to thick fog. Knew what was in store but chose to stay in and work, then had a dreichish ride round the Winster valley. Some parents at my boys' school went up the Kentmere tops and said it was amazing, although the cloud rose up over the summit after half an hour. Really need to set off at 6am or so if you can.

Looks like another spell of windless high pressure in the smoke bowl that is Kendal.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/17/wood-burners-urban-air-...

Lankyman 17 Dec 2021
In reply to felt:

Winster's nice even on a mizzly day. Often been around those areas back of Bowness and it's been quiet when the lakeside areas are jumping with tourists.  I usually have to be up indecently early for work so struggle doing it on my days off. I may try harder if conditions look similar on Sunday! Si Withington's photos look like he was not particularly high up to get the inversion.

felt 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Si Withington's photos look like he was not particularly high up to get the inversion.

Yes, on the road over the side of Scout Scar above Natland I was in it and almost through it, but then you drop down to the Lyth and it all got murky. Thought I'd try a new route, to me, heading north up Winster through Strickland Hill, don't know if you know it, but it all became a bit agricultural on the road, slippery, gate opening and all that, and my bike wasn't much impressed. I think I prefer the road just west of Helton Tarn. Was up there a lot in the hot days of summer and it was almost like Provence, deserted, ramshackled old stone farmhouses, silent woods, limestone clifftops and a sense, as you say, of being somewhat off the beaten track.

Si Withington 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Yep not high at all. Just on the area around Silver Howe. Yesterday wasn’t as impressive from Wansfell (see photos) but could have done with an earlier start. Amazing weather up here at the moment. Just needs some snow. 

In reply to Phil1919:

Lovely inversion in NW Highlands today 

Dave Hewitt 18 Dec 2021
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

> Lovely inversion in NW Highlands today 

Also in southern Highlands / Central Belt. I popped up Colsnaur and Myreton from Menstrie in the afternoon and got above it at about 180m - it had dropped slightly lower than that on the return but was still thick fog below 150m. Anyone standing on the viewing platform at the top of the Wallace Monument would have had a lovely view, not so anyone standing down at the entrance to the thing.

Re the Lakes, the webcam on George Fisher's shop this morning was showing Skiddaw clear from valley level up. Tony Richards' Lakeland Cam pictures for today (South Lakes - he's based in Coniston) show lovely valley mists however: https://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/

Btw going back to  the Ochils, in 35 years of going up there a lot I'm not sure I've ever seen a Brocken Spectre on Ben Cleuch - until yesterday.

Sam Beaton 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I saw the Brocken Spectre on Lose Hill in the Peak today, only the second time I've ever seen it

skog 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Yep, we nipped up Ben Gullipen and it was worth doing.

I'm not sure I've seen the Arran hills look so crisp from around here, before.

RobAJones 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Sam Beaton:

My brother sent me a photo of a white rainbow on the Norfolk coast today, I had to Google it discover it is a similar phenomenon. 

alan moore 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Btw going back to  the Ochils, in 35 years of going up there a lot I'm not sure I've ever seen a Brocken Spectre on Ben Cleuch - until yesterday.

Fog-bow going up White Wisp as well. Incredible clear; could see half a dozen of the Galloway hills!

Dave Hewitt 18 Dec 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

> My brother sent me a photo of a white rainbow on the Norfolk coast today, I had to Google it discover it is a similar phenomenon. 

White rainbows / fogbows are lovely things - I've seen two recently, one on Stob Binnein in November and there was one accompanying the Ochils Brocken yesterday.

Good idea going up Gullipen, skog - it's a good-value easy hill. I also like Earl's Hill - similarly with a track and masts - that's an excellent viewpoint too.

skog 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I'm considering a Southern Uplands jaunt tomorrow - inversion looks likely, I could do with burning off a few calories, and those Graham's aren't going to bag themselves...

thespecialone 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Brilliant day did the Coniston fell race route, would send photos but costs to much !!!

OP Phil1919 18 Dec 2021
In reply to thespecialone:

Lovely moonrise at end of the day as well.

Dave Hewitt 18 Dec 2021
In reply to skog:

> I'm considering a Southern Uplands jaunt tomorrow - inversion looks likely

Should be good again in that direction. I can't be bothered driving far at this time of year so will just do more on the local patch - anything to avoid being stuck in the fog.

> those Graham's aren't going to bag themselves...

Do you have many to do? I've been on a fair few Grahams but nowhere near a round and mostly just the same one repeatedly!

elsewhere 18 Dec 2021

Fantastic inversion over Glasgow today. Looking north from Whitelees wind farm the whole city was gone and it was like looking at Ben Lomond and Arrochar as mountain ranges across miles of sea. 

Post edited at 21:04
 skog 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Do you have many to do? I've been on a fair few Grahams but nowhere near a round and mostly just the same one repeatedly!

60 left, and I mean to knock 5% off that tomorrow. Progress has been slow since having kids, but they've got a lot of their own stuff to do these days and it's starting to feel as if there aren't all that many Grahams left; I'm likely to get a bit obsessive when it drops below 40 or so!

In reply to Phil1919:

Beautiful inversion in Edinburgh today.  A huge bank of fog/cloud over the Forth but low enough so from Arthur's Seat you were above it and could see the hills in Fife and the start of the Highlands popping up above it.

Some people on Twitter got the Castle and the Rail Bridge showing above the inversion.

https://twitter.com/ArrowontheHill/status/1326182590517272576

https://twitter.com/Blazespage/status/410396452364378112

John Kelly 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Inversion - look at the great end data 

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/lake-district-winter-conditions

Its another amazing day in Langdale at the moment, light mist in valley, fells look completely cloud free,  BBC want that light cloud will move in by lunchtime.

Alkis 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Can't comment about the Lakes but there was an incredible inversion in the Peak yesterday. I've attached a few photos to my gallery here, and put some on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXoxGLnt1iD/?utm_medium=copy_link

skog 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Not the most exciting snap, but I -think- I can see the Lake District hills in the distance, poking above the inversion, through the gap between East Knowe and West Knowe...

skog 19 Dec 2021

(it's a bit nicer looking across to Ettrick Pen)

felt 19 Dec 2021
 Lankyman 19 Dec 2021
In reply to felt:

Just come back from a walk above High Newton. Absolutely fantastic cloud sea across to the Howgills and Ingleborough. Arnside Knot just about poking through. Even saw the top of the Ashton Memorial in Lancaster with Winter Hill a long way beyond. Not much cloud towards the high fells. May post some pics later.

OP Phil1919 19 Dec 2021
In reply to felt:

I was up there early this morning. A setting full moon and an imminent rising sun. Plus a reasonable inversion looking south. Lovely conditions.

Dave Hewitt 19 Dec 2021
In reply to skog:

> (it's a bit nicer looking across to Ettrick Pen)

Good stuff - looks lovely. It was a bit disappointing back on the Ochils today - not cold enough compared with the previous day so the base was much higher, and steadily rising/breaking. I started about 11am and went up the Torry (into cloud not far above the road, but slightly damp stuff) then along the Bengengie ridge to Blairdenon. Was in cloud for most of this but eventually got above it into beautiful clear air at 600m just before Blairdenon. Could see the usual big western hills although the inversion looked to be even higher on those - eg it looked to about 800m on Ben Ledi. Could see Ben Buck and Ben Cleuch at this stage but an hour later when I got there they'd been swallowed up.

Had a late lunch on Cleuch (75th time this year!) with misty sun but no view, although a fogbow appeared just before I set off down at 3pm. Dropped beneath the cloud into regulation clear air at about 500m on the spur coming down off Ben Ever. Nice day overall, but not as good as expected. A chap met on Cleuch said a friend of his had been on Ever mid-morning and was was above it all. I felt a bit sorry for a cheery group of three women met on the initial ridge - they were doing the Mid Cairn-Bengengie-Colsnaur loop, so wouldn't ever have been high enough to get the views they were hoping for.

Fat Bumbly2 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Was travelling today, but popped up Jeffrey's Mount and Dillicar Knott in Lunedale to break the journey down the M6/M56. Temperature inversion but the cloud had burnt off by the time I got there.

Morecambe Bay was cloud covered with Silverdale/Arnside tops just sticking up.   

Further south, relatives were on Herefordshire's High Vinnalls and got some great shots of the Malvern Hills above the clag.

skog 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I think I must have been right at the boundary of two or three air masses.

I drove down through freexing fog, but Moffat and Moffat Dale were cool and mist-free with blue skies; sub-zero first thing, but thawing a bit at the end. But there was still an inversion - it warmed considerably a few hundred metres up. Off to the south there was low cloud/mist filling the valleys with the Dumfries and Galloway hills and some in Cumbria, Northumberland and I think Yorkshire poking up.

As soon as I was over the first summit (Capel Fell), I could see cloud pooling against the hills from the north and east, up to about 600m; the Grahams, Donalds and Corbetts were poking up through it as islands, and the cols were all wreathed in mist; it was dead calm and t-shirt warm on the tops, and cool, with some frost in places, and a significant breeze, when in the cloud. I kept popping up out of it and dropping back in to it on the way across to Ettrick Pen and again on the way back to Croft Head, getting loads of fog-bows and faint-ish Brocken Spectres; at the end of the day the south end of Moffat Dale was still clear but there was mist spilling over into it a bit futher north. There were even a couple of mirages, with bits of distant hills appearing to hang in the air above the real hilltops. A really unusual (and lovely) day. And I found some graptolite fossils on the way down, who doesn't love long-dead colonial hemichordate marine animals?

Post edited at 20:11

streapadair 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Dundee in the fog yesterday afternoon.

In reply to Phil1919:

Cracking conditions in the Affric hills too. T-shirt weather up in the sun, and it wasn't even cold at night.

OP Phil1919 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

You will remember that night for a long time.

In reply to Phil1919:

It was a cracker alright!

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

inversions in scotland making the main page of bbc news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-59727407

Georgert 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Had ourselves a decent one in Yorkshire, too. This is the view out from Crookrise above Skipton yesterday morning, with (what I think) is Ingleborough peeking through the cloud. 

Mark Bull 20 Dec 2021
In reply to skog:

More mirages (Galloway hills from Cruach Ardrain) 

https://flic.kr/p/2mRRqr3

skog 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Mark Bull:

Wow, that's a good one!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...