In Pinn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 28 May 2020

The abseil chain...are there (chunky looking) carabiners there permanently? Looking at a video of a guide taking a client down and it appears there are two in-situ biners as the guide looks to conect his rope into them after another party retrieves their rope.

(Research for whenever)

Chrismith 28 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

There was a mallion last time I was there

Post edited at 20:49
OP Flinticus 28 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks Chris

Weird down vote...

Dave the Rave 28 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

There’s some weird folk about, not me I hasten to add.

Someone is probably sat at home thinking take your own? 

Even if you didn’t your rope may pass through the link of the chain and be retrievable?

In reply to Flinticus:

I think when I did it nearly 40 years ago that we may have just put the rope round the chain. Or maybe there was a giant maillion. Anyhow, there's nothing to worry about because that anchor is always very well maintained by local guides, etc, because the route is so popular.

static266 28 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Pretty sure there was a decent mallion but as others have said you could just put the rope over the chain. 

Point of View 28 May 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

When I first did it (rather more than 40 years ago) there was no chain but instead a large collection of old slings. Everyone had make the choice between adding to the collection or just trusting what was there already!

Rich W Parker 29 May 2020

Double maillon  

Wainers44 29 May 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> There’s some weird folk about, not me I hasten to add.

> Someone is probably sat at home thinking take your own? 

> Even if you didn’t your rope may pass through the link of the chain and be retrievable?

When we did it there was a chap insisting that the chain etc was his. Maybe he is the disliker? 

OP Flinticus 29 May 2020
In reply to static266:

I thought of that but I suppose the chain would have small burrs (weathering against that rock in storms etc.) could damage or cut the rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...