Hut to hut in October?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 20 Mar 2023

I’m looking for ideas for a week long trek this October. With it being autumn options are obviously limited.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions I could consider?

Forest Dump 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

Not sure if it needs to be classic Alpine hut to hut or not.

If not, I've looked at the Majorcan long distance path previously and there's a coastal path in Portugal that would probably be enjoyable in October too.

If you want mountains can go village to village in the Alpujarras in Spain, no huts but cheap hostals / pensions, food and drink along the way. Fly to Malaga, bus to Granada.

OP Graeme G 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Forest Dump:

> Not sure if it needs to be classic Alpine hut to hut or not.

TBH it could be anywhere. I’ve looked at Slovenia, but think October may be too late in the year. Also Atlas Mts, Sardinia and Pyrenees 

> If not, I've looked at the Majorcan long distance path previously and there's a coastal path in Portugal that would probably be enjoyable in October too.

> If you want mountains can go village to village in the Alpujarras in Spain, no huts but cheap hostals / pensions, food and drink along the way. Fly to Malaga, bus to Granada.

Thanks

Toerag 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

October could be tricky in that many alpine huts close around the 3rd week of September. I would suggest going valley to valley, but the lift infrastructure will probably be shut as well, so that would also heavily restrict you.

Mudflap 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

GR20 Corsica.

Did this a few years ago in the first two weeks of October. Generally good weather, autumnal forests, huts open but not always staffed. We may just have been lucky...

Can be split into two sections each taking about a week.

OP Graeme G 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Toerag:

That was my thinking. I’m unfortunately dictated by dates. But would def have planned to go earlier if I could.

OP Graeme G 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Mudflap:

Thanks, I’d considered GR20. Hadn’t thought about splitting it in half.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...