Hill in Lincoln qualifies to inclusion in a list?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 15 Jan 2019

Googling hasn't helped.  I have a vague memory (perhaps I'm kidding myself or wearing rose-tinted spectacles) that the steep/large hill in Lincoln could qualify for inclusion in a hill list on the basis of the height gain in a certain distance and nothing surrounding it of a similar height.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  A hillwalking friend is working in Lincoln this week and I was telling them the story.  The discussion arose only because the area is otherwise quite flat and there's a steep hill being isolated which creates such a contrast to the surrounding area.

TIA

Simon Caldwell 15 Jan 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I don't think so. It's steep to the south and west, but not to the north, where the land stays at a similar height for many miles.

Bob Kemp 15 Jan 2019

There is a Marilyn (a relative hill) in Lincolnshire isn't there? 

Rampikino 15 Jan 2019

Lincoln sits on a vague escarpment climbing from around sea level to the south of the city up to no more than 60m to the north.

As one poster mentioned, this means that there is not so much a hill as a rise to a higher level which goes on for some distance to the north of the city.  It doesn't stand in isolation with a drop at all sides.

The hill in Lincoln, called Steep Hill, is part of a long escarpment from Leicester to the Humber called Lincoln Cliff.  It runs through Grantham just south of where I live and has 'foothills' which I run over in certain directions.  They can best be described a small sharp hills in a road of only a few 00s mtrs in height.

The highest point in Lincolnshire (which I have stood on) is a bump overlooking a great plain is Wolds Top.  That part of the world is more rolling than you would think for Lincolnshire and has great roads for motorbiking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolds_Top

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Cliff

Tringa 15 Jan 2019

Roads north from the rail station towards the castle and cathedral are steep and there are also some steep climbs to the south. Whether they would be included on a list depends on the definition.

Neither is very high, and after the climb the high land to the south is more or less flat but it stays about the same height for a few miles. I'm not sure what happens to the land after the castle/cathedral.

Dave 

Simon Caldwell 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Everything you always wanted to know about hills (and much, much more) at http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk

Yes, there's a Marilyn, and several Tumps, but none of them in or close to Lincoln.

Thanks all for putting me right / educating and informing! UKC is such a fount of (even local whenever/wherever needed!) knowledge and experience

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> There is a Marilyn (a relative hill) in Lincolnshire isn't there? 

Yes, Wolds Top, also the county top.

As a Hill-Bagging.co.uk bagger, so to speak, and being local I decided to conquer this 'hill' by means of parking on the road beside a field and then walking around the field to find the trig.  The view is quite nice in one direction and the mast an interesting discussion point but it was probably one of the least strenuous county tops I have ever scaled.

Billhook 16 Jan 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

That is also a SOTA summit https://www.sota.org.uk

As is  Bishop Wilton Wold in the Yorkshire wolds.

Bob Kemp 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Billhook:

It never occurred to me that such a list might exist. UKC is always an education!

Billhook 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I believe they are Marilyns as mentioned above but I've seen another group of 'summits'  which are defined differently, and used by radio amateurs too, but it makes life too complicated..  

I once thought a hill was a hill, but it really depends on what you define as a hill, 

(PS - I'm a radio amateur too, and can sometimes be seen with my radio/aerial/morse key on SOTA summits

....   )

Bob Kemp 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Billhook:

I know nothing of this, so don't think I'm being cheeky - I'm just curious. Why exactly do you take your radio etc. up these hills?

Billhook 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I used to be a Radio Operator in the Royal Navy and left many years ago.  A couple of years ago I got interested in becoming an amateur and have now a registered licence.

Then I discovered SOTA.org, which combines hill/mountains with radio.  Its given me more motivation to get back out into our hills and mountains, especially summits I'd not normally go to.  I suppose it combines two hobbies I have - 3 if you count birdwatching too! .

Basically you get various points for 'activating' a SOTA listed summit depending on hight & whether its winter etc.,  which means you have to contact at least four other radio amateurs from the summit area to get your points.  

https://www.sota.org.uk  

Its also world wide - There are some summits in Scotland no one has 'activated' (remoter small ones attracting few points), and some in Europe & North America  that are unlikely to be activated unless you're pretty good at alpine mountaineering as well as being a keen amateur.

There are quite a few continental SOTA enthusiasts who are quite good and experienced alpine mountaineers too.

Bob Kemp 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Billhook:

That all makes sense. I've always liked the way there are so many diverse ways to enjoy the hills - and this sounds as good as any. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...